DEVILED EGGS - Spring 2023 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

Well, it doesn’t take much to egg me on for some deviled eggs… sorry sorry, I know that’s as terrible but I couldn’t help myself :joy:

3 eggs have been hanging out in the fridge for far too long, so I boiled them while prepping dinner and turned them into deviled eggs (I could/should have made “dimer debhil” ie the Indian / Bengali version, but not tonight).

Used (ironic, wait for it) eggless mayo because that’s what’s in stock at home, and seasoned with some fantastic garlic chutney my mom’s cook buys specially for me, plus some (indian) pickle spice aka “kora masala” (which is suspiciously similat to adjika spice mix) to add a little more depth of flavor.

Not pretty (because I refuse to pipe the yolks) but very tasty!

14 Likes

I DID throw a lil chopped scallion on mine bc they’re thriving in a water glass on my kitchen window sill :slight_smile:

Love the bite & kronch.

Honey nuts? In the deviled eggs?

Trust me, it works. I was skeptical but found it helps offset some of the tart.

That said, at least twice I just had plain salted and they were fine, too.

I love this creamy and slightly sweet recipe, which uses mayo and heavy cream, and a mesh strainer for the yolks. The original version can be found in Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock’s “The Gift of Southern Cooking.”

The original calls for 1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar, and a full tablespoon goes into the water for boiling the eggs. (Linked recipe doesn’t add vinegar to water and just uses white vinegar).

Admittedly, I don’t stand these eggs on end because I like to use my egg-shaped deviled egg dish.

5 Likes

I’ve deviled many an egg in my time, using whatever is at hand to fold into the yolks – it’s a forgiving food – but nothing quite matches this:

And, yes, they are all that. Our daughter, with many food distastes, has found them irresistible, as have we. We order them every time we’re there.

11 Likes

Sorry for the ads in the middle

2 Likes

8 Likes

omg it’s you! I’m a huge fan of your eggs.

I am SO stealing this line.

1 Like
3 Likes

For a quickie, I like to smear on a little mayo and a dab of relish, eaten standing up, of course.

1 Like

Same :joy:. I’ve made a couple of HBEs, sliced them in half, squirted some kewpie on them, s&p, hot paprika & a snip of scallion. Pickle is a good idea for a topping, or a pickled jalapeño slice or banana pepper :thinking:

My cousin loves these Kimchi Deviled Eggs served at Spinster Sisters in Santa Rosa. https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/recipes/kimchi-bacon-deviled-eggs/

1 Like

I like to pipe with star tip. The last time I made these I mixed yolks with softened butter, mayo, tiny bit of dijon and no salt because previous time they were too salty.

8 Likes

Screenshot_20230315-200707_kindlephoto-9511112

12 Likes

My daughter’s been telling me that she’s had deviled eggs topped with fried capers several
times at places in Las Vegas. Makes sense as just another type of ‘pickle’, but the ‘fried’ part is interesting.

2 Likes

I’ve had fried capers with tuna carpaccio. They really add the perfect, briny crunch.

1 Like

I think the perfect topping would be tobiko or masago.

I’ve never seen deviled eggs made with quail eggs; too fiddly perhaps?

1 Like

I’m a fan of deviled crab balls, deviled ham spread, deviled eggs…I’ll be in line forever!

4 Likes

I’ve seen them, but the thought of making them myself has me in a preemptive hot rage already :rofl:

3 Likes