Desserts from overripe bananas

I’ll have to send this to my SIL; she asked for my (world famous) banana bread recipe which I’ve been making since the 1960s, and then accused me of sabotaging her when hers didn’t come out right. After intense questioning, I discovered she used almost unripe bananas in hers…well, live and learn! I said I assumed she knew, but I’m sure she still suspects I did it on purpose :wink:

3 Likes

I wonder if the oven and microwave oven methods actually ripen the banana or just soften it. I understand ripening (in the case of bananas) as starch molecules breaking down into sugar. I wonder if this actually happens with 30 seconds in the microwave or if it’s just getting softer.

it will turn to a warm/hot bowl of mush like baby food.

I used the oven method last night. After 35 minutes at 325F, it definitely tasted riper than it was going in, but I wouldn’t say it’s as good as real ripening, even mushed in banana bread. It’s for those emergency situations.

I feel there is also the formation of alcohol.

We visit Tenerife each year where the restaurant custom is to offer a free “digestif” at the end of the meal. It is often a banana liquor, as the fruit is grown on the island. I don’t drink alcohol but Mrs H does. She invariably takes a sip of the drink. And, invariably, declares it to be horrible.

Harters,
Question on the butter, could you kindly ask Mrs. Harters, should it be soft or should it be melted?

Thanks a lot

Mrs H says soft - and hopes you enjoy.

Big thanks to H and Mrs. H, the bread turned out quite well, while it was still cooling on the rack, half was gone. The bread was moist, and with a lovely crust all around, not too sweet, Mr. N enjoyed it too. The brown sugar we used was not very fine, it added a slight crunch in the bite.

I used 4 bananas as they were small. As for the total cooking time, I added 5 minutes more. For the size of my cast iron terrine mould, I think I could make 1.5 time the recipe, it was a bit flat.

Do you have the same density or more airy?

5 Likes

I have used the bigger mould, looks like the smaller one is too small. (I have both.)

Gorgeous!!

That looks exactly as Mrs H cooks it. I quite like it that it is a little dense. So pleased you enjoyed. Should there ever be an occasion where it isnt eaten quickly, then it does freeze very well. I’m diabetic so have to watch my sugars - freezing it in portions is a big help (yes I know that I’m just greedy).

2 Likes

Good to know this, it will be another occasion if I need to finish a lot of overripe bananas, if I need to make several loafs. Here sweet vanishes quickly, as I don’t bake often. Thanks again, excellent recipe.

A friend has been raving about this banana-raspberry “ice cream”. She says the texture is best if you let the raspberries thaw a bit but keep the banana slices frozen till you use them. https://realhousemoms.com/2-ingredient-banana-berry-ice-cream/

My latest success - banana pancakes.

2 overripe bananas
2 eggs
100g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp cinnamon (very optional in my case as can’t abide the stuff)

Whizz in processor. Fry 10cm blobs in a really good non-stick pan (or use a little butter). Flip and cook for a bit more. Nice with yoghurt. Even nicer with yoghurt and some berries.

2 Likes

As an aside, do you have any knowledge on how British self-raising flour compares to U.S. AP flour? I know I cannot use US self-rising flour as a substitute. Recipes never turn out exactly right. I’m more interested in if self raising flour is a low, medium, or high gluten flour. I’ve read everything I can on the subject and still have not found a satisfactory answer that works in practice.

Absolutely none, I’m afraid. No idea of the technicalities of it. It’s simply a product on the shelves that we buy.

There are some british brands of self raising flour on amazon fairly cheap if you just need it occasionally might be worth ordering.

2 Likes

Thank you! I paid a premium for them while I was baking Mary Berry recipes a few years ago.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-12-21/the-bananapocalypse-is-nigh