Demeyere Double Griddle/Teppanyaki

This 7-ply, induction-capable double griddle/teppanyaki/plancha is on sale at Zwillingonline for the incredible price of $149 and free shipping.

This piece is not generally available in USA, and is normally >$500 in Europe + shipping.

Probably being discontinued, so get one while you can.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Did you intend to include a link?

Here you go: http://www.zwillingonline.com/54753r.html

Looks like a great deal.

I have a Demeyere stainless steel teppanyaki very similar to this piece, but it’s an inch or two shorter and has more rounded corners – maybe the Japanese version? In any case, I would recommend it to anyone with an induction cooktop.

On a single “burner” it heats pretty quickly out the the edges (MUCH better than cast iron, as you would expect). I was also surprised and pleased to find that it works great on two induction “burners” at the same time for even more uniform heating. No cookware sensor problems, no error messages, no overloading, no buzzing/resonance, etc. It also sits perfectly flat and doesn’t spin.

$149 very well spent, IMO.

I and when these run out, I may have an extra one of these for a needy Onion. I ordered one, and my partner missed it and ordered another. Let me know–I’ll probably have to charge for shipping.

2 Likes

My first test results are in. I’m somewhat disappointed.

In fairness, I repeated a rather extreme test that has become standard for me to test evenness. The double griddle was placed on only one active gas hob, and only at one extreme end. The idea is to gauge how much heat actually makes it to the other end, 14 inches away.

I pretty much knew the answer with cast iron: Almost none. And I also knew the answer with All-Clad’s all-aluminum double griddle: Some, but very little. So I was optimistic that the Demeyere, with its 3mm of aluminum sandwiched between SS layers, would perform better.

I’m sorry to report that the falloff in temperature from directly over the flame to 14 inches away was 63% from the tested equilibrium temperature of 120C. While that temperature is relatively low to start with, that huge dropoff means the far end is useless for anything except finishing and holding food cooked at the other end. So the answer or this $$$ unit is: Not enough.

By comparison, our hyperconductive prototype dropped only 8% in surface temperature. When this technology comes to market, it will require rethinking home griddle cooking, because the answer will be: Dang, I can cook anywhere on this thing!

Aloha,
Kaleo

PS The finish on and ergonomics of the Demeyere are first-rate. Despite the thermal results, it’s probably the best double griddle I have cooked on.

1 Like

Follow-On testing on TWO burners has been impressive. On two gas hobs on 10" centers (gas rings 5" apart), there is only a 5F “cold” spot in between. And the greatest reduction of temperature anywhere on the huge griddle, was 27F.

This is impressive.

1 Like

A third round of testing was done on ONE gas hob placed dead center. This showed a falloff of over 50F at the corners.

The take-home here is that this is a great pan–on two burners. To be fair, that’s what Demeyere intended.

However, the new hyperconductive technology will cut that falloff to 17F or less–insignificant rom a culinary standpoint.

1 Like

Down to $99.
http://www.zwillingonline.com/54753r.html

I’m curious, how do you guys use something like this?

Basically any kind of shallow frying and searing. Besides that, I use mine for thin rolled omelets and pancakes.

Does it offer any real material advantage over a pan other than surface area? I would love to pick one up and do a teppanyaki show. haha!

Yes. Besides floorspace, there is utensil ease, multi-zone cooking, and no protruding handles. Think of a hash, where you can cook all the ingredients at different heats and then assemble right there, or searing meat at one end, and finishing/resting it at the other.

Back up to $119…

I purchased this recently. :slight_smile: Mine arrived with no noticeable flaws - the only indication that it was a “second” was a pinhole on the bottom.

Well, I thought this piece was invincible. It’s still bullertproof, but I finally found the limit of the Silvinox finish.

Wahine Santa brought me a Searzall, which is very, very cool (review coming after CS decides whether to do the right thing). So I’ve been using it to finish eggs and sear the topside of meats as the bottom sides cook on the plancha. Big mistake with the meat. It turns out great, but the plancha is gummed up beyond imagination. Cleaning it after a London broil took FIVE, 20-minute soaks in Easy-Off Pro. The spatter polymerizes into the toughest stuff I’ve ever seen on a pan. Silvinox didn’t have a chance.

Aloha,
Kaleo

I have a vulcan commercial E62 range with a 24 inch griddle that serves as a plancha. I use it when I am lazy taking out my omelet pan for omelets, and bacon etc. as well as steak and cheese sandwiches or even fried rice. Early on, I had difficulty cleaning it esp when I cook those Philadelphia style steak and cheese for sandwiches. I, had bought stone to rub it but it takes time as well as takes off a certain coating which makes it almost non stick.

Then, I found a trick that they use at Hopkins ( One of their cafeteria has the same model). After each major meal, ( 3 times a day) they were required to clean it! They turn the griddle on high, pour trays of ice cubes which cleans it perfectly within minutes. Of course the water drains into a channel provided, the griddle becomes dry within minutes, then I just wipe it off, and spray the griddle with PAM

It is ready for use and hardly stick.

hey, i know it’s been a long time, but i don’t suppose you still happen to have that extra teppanyaki?

No, sorry.