Delirama - North Berkeley, Solano Ave., SF Bay Area

Very sorry to hear this…

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/diningout/article/miller-s-deli-serves-up-some-of-the-real-thing-2301167.php

Excellent article in the SF Chron as to why “passion isn’t enough” to keep Delirama open:

This hit Bay Area deli is closing. Here’s why

I believe Saul’s Deli/Berkeley offers chopped liver, although I prefer the chicken liver pate at The Fat Lady/Oakland, where they put a slug of cognac on it, LOL.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this, but I’m not surprised. The two times I tried Delirama, the food was okay but the service was totally disorganized to the point of being annoying. I do remember the rye was the best I’ve had in the Bay Area.
The schlep to The Refuge is a long one, but the food, service, and atmosphere are wonderful. Saul’s is fine too.

1 Like

To me, the whole “find your passion” thing is a red herring, canard. It’s often used in industries that exploit people, like TV/film…food and restaurants.

I’ve heard “pursue your passion” line for the past 20 years. Once when talking about this, a friend and I agreed, “how about something that pays okay, isn’t dehumanizing, exploitative and doesn’t hurt anyone…”.

5 Likes

Always just awful awful graduate/career advice. People forget what actual passion is. Passion is willingness to suffer for the sake of… whatever it is you think you’re passionate about.

To tell someone to find and follow their passion is pointless. Someone truly passionate about cooking, or art, or race car driving, doesn’t need to be TOLD to follow their passion. They can’t IMAGINE doing otherwise.

Oh, it’s always been your passion to be a stand up comic? But you haven’t written any jokes or gotten up at an open mike? It’s not your passion. It’s a daydream. A fantasy. Which is fine. But if you were passionate about it, you’d be writing jokes and hitting open mikes and living with three roommates while you hold down awful day jobs so you can make your act work.

Ditto running a deli. You want to make GREAT pastrami? Go ahead. Making a BUSINESS of it is an entirely different problem. And THAT is the problem that has to be your passion.

3 Likes

Anthony Bourdain had a lot to say about that. He had plenty of experience working in kitchen where the owners had “passion” but no grasp of the reality of running a restaurant.

The “passion” thing underlies $Billions and billions of student loan debt incurred when parents and kids bought hook, line, and sinker the bull leavings that a “college degree” is the bee’s knees, a comfy ticket to anywhere you choose, but really for way too many, an expensive meaningless worthless certificate of attendance . . . one could pile on a lot more.

2 Likes

The restaurant going in the Delirama site, with the same owners, is called Elsie’s, and will soft-open on March 1, 2024. They will have pastrami.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/elsies-restaurant-delirama-18677760.php

5 Likes

Nice! I’ll definitely visit. I hope he does well.

1 Like

Elsie’s on Solano is now closed.

“ Dear beloved friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I share the news of the Solano location’s closure after more than two years of serving our wonderful community. I recently had a heartfelt conversation with my landlord, and it has become evident that the financial strain of running the restaurant has become insurmountable. Regrettably, this means that all reservations will have to be canceled.

The current state of sales, coupled with the high rent, utilities, labor costs, and the uncompromising need for quality ingredients, have made it impossible for me to continue operating the business in the way I envisioned. Making this decision has been incredibly tough, but I firmly believe it is the best course of action for now.”

Full statement on the website.
https://www.elsiesonsolano.com/

4 Likes

It was open for just over a month! Dang.

1 Like

aw man, sad! we were planning on trying it in the next couple weeks. i hope they can come up with something else at some other locale soon…

Delirama’s creator is going back to pastrami in pop-ups, as “Little Pyro”.

Scroll down for the Instagram link. HO didn’t display it correctly.

2 Likes

and the Almanac pop-up event is already sold out! Sad they won’t be nearby anymore, but good for them.

Heh! The sign means that it goes from 11:15 until they sell out. Unclear, to be sure. I’m trying to get in touch with them to order some pastrami, but Instagram isn’t cooperating.

1 Like

ah, ok. makes more sense.