Delete option

Happening consistently for me when I’m prompted to do by the ‘advanced’ tutorial. Maybe it has something to do with user trust level?

And on the above one, I get the same message when I – experimentally, I didn’t actually wish to get rid of it – tried to delete it. If there’s some action limit it doesn’t particularly affect me, except that it really messes up the tutorial. Never great to have a pedagogical aid that causes more problems than it solves!

I finished the tutorial by eventually stumbling across the ‘skip’ option – which is presented after you ‘huh?’ the bot – but no progress on the undeletion. It appears as if there’s once-per-24h limit on deletions, and a ‘zero’ limit on undeletions. Maybe varying by trust level or in some other manner. If it is the trust level, then that’s hard-coding forced user errors into the tutorial, as by definition it’s prompted at a particular TL.

What?
I’m confused.

Does the same thing happen when you are not doing the tutorial?

As far as I can tell, yes. Let me try again on this post…

Relatedly: buggykathy?

So, yes. After waiting 24h to be able to delete a post, trying to undelete it, was initially told to wait a few seconds, and then:
Screenshot 2021-05-22 05.35.34

And I just delete

Tested with a non admin account. Replied with a new post in a thread, deleted the post, then try to retrieve the post. A pop window said I’ve done this operations many times, which in reality was only the first time, and refused to retrieve the post.

No problem in deleting a post.

@alai Want to make sure, your problem is

• you can’t delete a post
  • you can’t recover a deleted post

Can members help to test this bug, and report below please? TIA

1 Like

I thought I’d covered this already in terms, but to be as explicit as I can be:-

• I can’t undelete posts, at any speed;
  • I can apparently only delete one post per 24h.

I noticed the undeletion problem in the context of the tutorial, which asks users to do this (when they apparently can’t). I mention the deletion limitation (which I noticed only in the context of the undeletion one!) as:-

• I wasn’t aware it existed, and it’s not clear where it’s documented;
  • It gives the same “too many times” error message, which is confusing if “too many” is “0” for undeletion, and “1” for deletion – neither of which are intuitively “many times” at all;
  • Trying to investigate the one issue, or attempting to redo the tutorial, etc, one then inevitably canons into the other.
2 Likes

can you clarify whether you are deleting/ and recovering a topic, or a post? a topic is the first post of a discussion. whereas a post can be any message within a topic. thanks.

A post. That’s what arises in the tutorial, and I haven’t tried posting a topic just to test (un)deleting it.

I have tweaked the software setting regarding post deletion. Please take a look and see if the problem still persists.

2 Likes

I will… right now!

Deleted, undeleted, and now edited – I believe we’re now, as Ted Hastings would say, sucking diesel!

2 Likes

I deleted a post by accident and tried to recover it right away and it didn’t work. I wish an ‘are you sure?’ Had popped up as then I could have avoided deleting.

1 Like

If you need help recovering the post, please contact a mod.

@pavlova I’ve done this before (delete by mistake, because the delete button is right next to the reply arrow ) — usually you have to wait a short time before you can restore the post, it’s not an immediate option.

It was my first time and I probably did try to recover it right away. The pictures showed up, but with a lot of arrows like on a video player. So strange. Will try not to do it again!

Just a test.

Edit - I deleted then tried to undo and got the following:

But then I clicked “OK” and repeated undo, and it worked.