December 2019 Openings and Closings [Boston, New England]

Yes, I believe so.

1 Like

+1 on what GretchenS said. I Googled and the Postos and Osteria Posto are part of the Alpine restaurant group.

1 Like

The Biscuit at the intersection of Kirkland and Beacon Streets on Somerville/Cambridge line is being evicted after 15+ years.
They are actively searching for an alternative location preferably in that general area.
Really cozy place - all pastries, pies from scratch plus lunch.

I know the Biscuit is using the term evicted in their communication for some reason, however my understanding is that they could not come to lease renewal terms with the landlord. Eviction is something different all together.

It is my understanding that after protracted attempts at lease negotiation between the landlord and The Biscuit unable to reach consensus that the landlord began the eviction process. If this is not the case then my apologies for stating it as such.

The sign posted on the door of the Biscuit says they are being evicted.

is Wakefield too far for this? I’m a big fan of Massimo’s Ristorante sort of out that way.

1 Like

fwiw, Collette Bakery in the former Scialo’s space in Medford put up a big “opening soon” sign in their window yesterday.

1 Like

For this purpose, yes, looking for a place really near the office, but thanks for the intel, good to know about Massimo’s!

from eater boston 12/9 [https://boston.eater.com/2019/12/9/21001749/biscuit-somerville-closing-moving-winter-2020-news]

Yes that is what the sign says, but those are the Biscuit’s words. I don’t mean to take this into semantics, but a landlord choosing not to renewing a lease is not the same thing as evicting a tenant. Sometimes relationships don’t work out and the landlord has a right to move on. This is not the case of a large out of state real estate investor absorbing the space (not yet at least).

The trend of small businesses not being able to survive in this area is not a good one. That said using misleading and inflammatory language doesn’t necessarily help us get to real solutions. Several new places (Broadsheet, Juliet) have opened and thrived nearby in the past 6 years in spaces that might have worked and I am sure that is frustrating to the Biscuit. I hope the succeed in their new space, the money they are trying to raise to make that a reality is not insignificant.

3 Likes

For us Posto is one of the better Italian restaurants in Boston - overall good dishes from appetizers, pasta, pizza, fish together with good service

3 Likes

A while back, I happened to be driving by The Biscuit and stopped in assuming that they sold biscuits. They did not.

2 Likes

Yes, I know those were Biscuit’s words. I didn’t suggest otherwise. And I read the Eater post. Who knows what actually happened? We won’t know, most likely. I have no idea what is inflammatory or what is misleading.

In any case I really enjoyed Biscuit and I hope they find a new space.

Juliet is a far different business. I love Juliet. I suspect they have been hurt by the endless construction/road closures/road blockages in Union Square that also limit the parking in the area hugely. Green line extension I hope turns out as great as the forecasts, but it’s sure hurting lots of small businesses around the bridge closes, especially around Ball Square and the Washington St. bridge closure in Somerville going to Cambridge is another difficult detour.

I have to disagree. I’ve been there probably 5 times in as many years and never been impressed. It’s a perfectly adequate flatbread pizza, with less than adequate service, and some really mediocre apps and a freezer-burned dessert kind of place. I wish I could say otherwise as it’s so close to us and the outdoor tables in front seasonally are a plus, but every time I venture there on someone else’s suggestion, it confirms my feeling that I’d rather eat at any number of other nearby options.

1 Like

I’ve only been in a few times in the last few months, but they always had biscuits.

We had so far (~10 times) quite different experiences with very good food (particular the pastas and appetizers/salads but also the fish entrees) and had also some of the better service in Boston

Flatbread pizzas? Did they change their style? I always thought Naples style…No?

Try Bottega di Capri in Brookline Village. Excellent service, food, prices. Best Italian food I’ve had including in Italy

1 Like

(another not open yet from me)

Was just on Moody Street in Waltham . . . I don’t know how many remember the dosa place that was “coming soon” for 10 years or so, but a year or so ago someone started some new remodel work on the inside and took down the outside signage. They’ve been making slow but steady progress for a while.

Today there was a sign in the window “Peppino’s Dosa - a vegan and vegetarian Indian restaurant”, so hopefully that is a good sign that something may actually go into that space soon!

4 Likes