DeBuyer Double Boiler

I accidentally came to this. Unlike the typical two pots/pans approach, this is a double layer pot where water can be added (through the handle) to the space in between inner and outer layers

Once, I held one of these in a cashiers’ line, and turned back.

I think the idea is sound. But I recall thinking it might be too small.

Is that right? it does look like a nice design. I don’t do enough double boiling to justify, but for others, it is not a bad idea. The criticisms I have heard are: 1) Cannot completely drain all the water inside nor clean inside (I think that is simply a tradeoff of such design. 2) The steam comes out from the handle which close to where your hand will be (this I think a fair criticism).
This is a different design where the water inlet and steam outlet is on the side. I wonder if this is better.
Anyway, interesting designs.

IIRC Williams-Sonoma had something like this eons ago. I have the old fashioned kind, with the ceramic insert. It was a gift from my mom.

I dont know why I would shell out $100 for this item. There is a world of old double boilers out there from the days they were frequently used for making puddings, cream sauce etc - like in my mothers kitchen, that work perfectly well and can be had for $20.

1 Like