Death by pod and packaging... Plastic food delivery systems angling to put an end to cooking and profit from your loss

In my opinion, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

If we really decided to make food by “pod”, then it is our own choices and our own doing. The question is: Do you have faith in humanity (as we know it)?

1 Like

Exactly. I think there may be a tad bit of exaggeration going on!

Well, you are both putting it under tremendous strain.

If it is “as we know it”, the answer is “NO!!!”

People are remarkably gullible to marketing, as we know. The evidence is all in.

But keep on thinking you are being given “choices” and therefore it’s all your fault. I know it’s not mine.

I’m of an age now where I make MY choices and try not to force my choices on others.

2 Likes

Well, not all marketing works out. In fact of many of them fail. Even the great market campaigns of the “New Coke” and “Google Glasses” failed.

People do not always make smart choices, but it is still their choices. The idea that most marketing campaigns can turn a bad product into a successful one is not true. Some may get hyped up for a short while, but if people really don’t want them, they will fade away. You kind of contradicted yourself here. On one hand, you claimed that we are gullible and are not really given a choice here. On the other hand, you clearly don’t like these pod food systems from the start. So how are you able to dislike these products if the marketing is so overwhelming powerful?

2 Likes

A) pretty much everybody drinks coffee or tea every day.

B) this article is working from the assumption that everybody is going to eat tortillas every day. That’s a pretty faulty assumption…especially since many countries where flat breads are a staple aren’t at an economic point where a viable percentage of the population is going to be able to afford a unitasker machine and the expensive pods.

C) the pushback against the mindbending amount of pod waste has already begun.

D) at what point do we realize that a kitchen full of expensive unitasker machines that devour expensive pods of industrially- produced foodlike substances entombed in tiny plastic coffins that can’t be recycled is insane?

I have yet to find a single coffee pod that I actually like…I can’t imagine any of this truly coming to pass. It’s the flavor of the day and will disappear as soon as the next great thing shows up

Re (b) I’m not sure that tortilla-eating people actually make their own. Even where we live, we have markets that make them and they’re ridiculously cheap.

Re (c) Yep

Re (d) another yep.

I’m kinda annoyed that anyone thinks I’m stupid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here in the US, I agree with you…in their countries of origin, not so much.

What does this mean?

1 Like

I have no knowledge about that but yeah probably. Off-topic I use my tortilla press to make dumpling wrappers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it means: “It is not our faults if we start making tortillas using this pod machine (Flatev)”

Yet, somehow I still don’t want to get this machine.

2 Likes

Stay strong, Ck.

3 Likes

The economics make zero sense. A cup of coffee for 30-50c from a Keurig makes sense to a consumer; if their machine can give them a decent cup (and some of them can), it’s better than a $2 cup from Starbucks, and they have dozens and dozens of flavors to choose from. A 60c cup of espresso from my Nespresso is a very decent morning drink, and cheaper than a coffeeshop. But 75c for a tortilla? I can’t imagine anyone thinking “gosh, with how expensive tortillas are, this will save me money over time!”

2 Likes

Same here. My guess is that this won’t go anywhere. This is probably why is on Kickstarter possibly no major appliance company wants to back this. Let’s face it. While Kickstarter allows interesting idea to turn big, most of these idea just fall flat.

Like sunshine and you have said, the market shares of coffee and tortilla are quiet different. Many adults in developed countries drink coffee daily, not many eat tortilla. In addition, many people are willing to pay good money for a decent cup of fresh coffee which is why many people still drive a good distance to Starbuck, Dunkin Donuts,…on a daily basis. I don’t know many people drive out everyday for a fresh tortilla. Moreover, the “urgency” of the demands are very different too. Many coffee drinkers want their fresh coffee in the morning when they are also trying to rush to work/school. As such, there is a market for pod coffee machines where they can deliver a fresh cup of coffee within a minute with no harass. Again, I don’t think there are many people who want their tortilla right then and right there. Of course, the other problem is when people do want tortilla, they usually want more than just one piece of tortilla. It just seems weird to pop 10+ these pods into the machine to make dinner.

This instant tortilla machine may have a market, but it ought to be very small. For people who want to save money, this does not seem like the solution. For people who want high quality tortilla, the tortilla coming from this machine just look disgusting (maybe I am wrong).

I bet there is a better market for instant cookie pod machines.

1 Like

Oh, I see. So: “Don’t blame yourself and I won’t blame myself because we are powerless against the forces of marketing.”

2 Likes

Well said, CK. I don’t have a Keurig but I can see its benefit when you want just one cup.

I have a Farberware 4-cup drip coffee maker with a cone filter. It mskes 2 mugs of coffee (what I need before work). It was $24 and the coffee is pennies a day.

I always found the Keurig coffee to be “just okay”. My favorite one-cup method is the Aeropress, which brews up a single really excellent cup in just a minute or so.

We’ve used the Toddy system for years.