Darto pan 30 cm presale started

Good morning from Finland Claus, sounds like a plan. Where from are you getting the Prolines if I may ask?

Also do you own the Lagostina Accademia frying pans yet? Those are my personal favorite everyday stainless lined pans for induction. They have the thick alu bottom, but also a thinner alu to the rim, just like the pots I think you have. They heat evenly, more than any of the fully cladded pieces. The thin alu in the cladding of those Lagostinas conducts enough heat that it’s possible to get some polymerized stains also on them in some cases on my induction.

Edit. I then have and use the Paderno GG disc bottom pan for when I don’t want polymerized stains on the sidewalls, but want to use a stainless pan, like when searing steaks on high heat. I also use my Silga and Fissler disc bottom two handle saute/rondeau/braiser/whateveryouwanttocallthem pans for steaks.

1 Like

For the highest heat, total versatility, and near nonstick–it’s my 28 cm Hestan nanobond.

For one pot meals, my Staub 3 1/2 qt. brazier.

With induction.

Hi Pertti,

I have the 24 & 28 cm Proline in the basket now at bestsale . be

€306 total including shipping.

I think kitchenone . dk is a bit more expensive and they only have the 28 cm in stock, not the 24 cm.

I’ve never tried the Lagostina Lagofusion frying pan.
Is that thicker than the Proline at the bottom of the pan ?
You think it sears even better and more evenly than any other pan out there ?

Just found the Lagostina Lagofusion frying pans in 24 & 28 cm on Amazon for a total of €266 shipped.

I think I’m pulling the trigger on the Demeyere Prolibe pan set first for €305 total shipped. But the bottom of the Lagostina Lagofusion frying pans is quite thick so should also make for a very stable evenly heating searing result.

The two Lagostina Lagofusion pots I own are very evenly heating, great pots for small stews, soups and polenta/porridge.

1 Like

Hi Claus,

Yes the Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion frypans are a couple mm thicker bottomed than the Demeyere prolines. But then the sidewalls have very very notably thinner aluminum in the Lagostinas, so that’s how they are different.

If you one day decide to get also the Lagostinas, I would be interested in how you like them on your gas cooktop versus your massive collection of other frypans :).

I theory craft now that on gas I would still opt for a disc based frying pan, if I wished to minimize polymerized oil on the sidewalls. Just for steaks or similar high heat fat splatter cooking I mean here and assuming a frypan shape, I might pick a Fissler OP.

And thanks for the bestsale.

1 Like

You might be on to something here.

Perhaps the clad sidewalls attract polymerised oil stains faster and more easily and heat these stains up once they have hit the sidewalls making it even more difficult to remove.

The Fissler OP might be the better solution as a pure dedicated searing pan for steaks and meat here, if it has as thick or thicker Alu disc bottom.

What do you think ?

1 Like

Yes, I’m thinking that heat on the sidewalls cooks the fat on it and that’s why it’s then hard to remove. This doesn’t happen on induction with disc based pans which have no aluminum or copper inside the sidewalls to much any effect in my experience.

What I don’t know from personal experience is if this polymerization would happen and to what extent on a gas cooktop from the heat licking the sides on the relatively thin uncladded sidewalls of a disc based pan. I know about the ring of fire thing (some say its no problem) where on some disc based pans, at least undersized pans for the hob, where an area right after where the disc ends could burn if the flames lick it badly…

But the Fisslers have the disc extending longer than most and have chamfering to help prevent that, so I believe you would not have the ring of fire effect on it on your cooktop likely. See this snip from the review of those pans and why not read the whole thing.:

“Fissler’s design is very rare in that it’s the only brand that offers at least 5mm of aluminum and extends all the way to the edges and even up the sides a little bit.”

So while I cant say for sure is if there would be polymerization on the sidewalls on your cooktop with the Fissler, some gas cooktop users should know better. I would in any case guess, that not as badly as you have experienced on your Prolines in past as the heat is not directly moving from the bottom very effectively in the absence of well conducting material in the sidewalls.

Paderno gg is thicker than Fissler at least in the 28cm size for sure, that is why I bought Paderno myself for induction. @damiano likes his Paderno too :). He could probably confirm if he has had any sidewall polymerization problems on his Paderno paella on gas when searing steaks etc and if not, Fissler and Paderno both should be good for you I believe in that sense. Paderno has a bit thicker sidewalls, not sure if that detail has much effect for this matter though on gas.

I keep thinking I would still prefer to buy a Fissler frypan on gas anyway to Paderno as the disc extends longer and the Fisslers are a tad nicer finished pans in general, even if somewhat less evenly heating directly over the disc. Your gas heats more evenly than my induction anyway Im pretty sure. Damiano might prefer the Paderno :wink:

And even if Centurylifes thickness numbers for the Fissler would not be 100% correct, Fisslers should have a bit more aluminum thickness in the bottom than the Proline in the 28cm size frypan anyway. There were some threads back on Chowhound where these things were discussed.

2 Likes

Hi Pertti,

Interesting thoughts you have.

If Fissler didn’t f#ck up there Original Profi line by renaming it for a while - while trying to sell older stock - then getting back to the line name again, I would have more faith in that line of cookware to be honest.

It’s a great cookware line no doubt in my mind.

I think I’m going to go ‘the safe way’ and will buy the Demeyere Proline 7-ply, even though Damiano and others are not huge fans, and to be honest I understand them and agree with them to a certain degree.

But for a dedicated searing pan that I only intend to use for high heat searing, the Demeyere 7-PLY 4.8 mm thickness Proline frying pan is a darn good pan, if you can accept the danger of living with next to impossible to remove polymerised oil stains on the sidewalls of the pan.
Only a few other pans will be better for searing - and the difference could very well be minute.

I’m pulling the trigger now on the 24 cm & 28 cm Demeyere Proline frying pans for a total of €305 shipped. You newer know when the price will be that low again.

I’ll try to purchase the Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion
24 cm frying pan and the Fissler Original Profi 24 cm frying pan over the next few months and will compare the 3 x 24 cm pans up against each other and up against my other 24 cm frying pans.

1 Like

You are right, the prices seem good and perhaps they could be as low as they ever will be again for the Proline now.

The Fissler bottom thicknesses vary based on pan diameter, I think it was discussed the 24cm frypan would be thinner than the 28cm. FWIW, on a smaller pan, I believe a bit more heat from the gas would go towards the sidewalls of the pan, but again some gas user should comfirm about the polymerization things on the inner sidewalls of disc based pans, I’m just thinking out loud…

The Lagostina 24cm is a wonderful pan and in constant use for me. I use it almost every time I’m cooking meals with stainless pans, it does well on my smaller induction hobs as well as the bigger one, so it is usually on the smaller back hobs during cooking with other options on the biggest one. It’s so nice, I could get a second one, while they are still again available now, which hasn’t been the case all the time at amazon and they are a bit hard to find elsewhere. But I’m not so much into doubling a pan, I could as well grab the 24cm proline, it should do okay for me also. The 24cm is a practical size on my cooktop and I have many times wanted to use three 24 stainless pans at the same time… But only have two :wink:

My tiny Darto n 15 is great on my very smallest fourth hob for some certain things, like melting a bit of butter, toasting spices or some cashews, one egg, even small crepes. Or some fish :wink:

I’m thinking if I would still just get the Darto presale, although it would be far from an optimal pan for my current cooktop. I read on reddit that the internal flat surface would come to 25cm on the pan…

I think the n. 30 should be nice for a properly sized gas or electric cooktop and passable on suitable induction, which would be my main future cooktop most likely at some point.

I could say gas home cooktops are pretty rare here in Finland overall. Some newspaper articles suggested, there would be around 30k households utilizing a gas grid for their cooking around the capital and its surrounding areas. We are a rather small nation but that’s still not much percentage wise there and much of the rest of our nation are screwed (outside the grid).

A friend of mine, also outside the reach of gas grid has a gas side burner, fed from a bottle in his kitchen and his main cooktop is induction. I could like that type of solution also, but I would not make a gas bottle a solution for my main cooktop

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

I ended up ordering this De Buyer Milady thick disc based 24cm frying pan as my third 24cm stainless frying pan:

It will then be my second pure disc based stainless frypan, in addition to my 28cm Paderno grand gourmet. I bet I will do most of my steaks for one (myself) with a pan sauce in this pan in the future and then it will be nice as pan otherwise too I bet. I will make a stack of the 24cm stainless frypans behind our cooktop.

The Milady supposedly has thin sidewalls, but I’ll take it.

2 Likes

Finally… I ordered the presale pan now. I do like the Darto pans a lot and have been using them a lot lately. The one piece design is so nice, great character in these pans.

I might double up on the 20cm saute when they have free shipping or some sale in the future and I would love to double the 35 paella also for oven use tbh.

2 Likes

My Darto 30cm thick pan delivered today. Whoa! It’s a beast. It came with a very thick coat of Linseed oil which I will remove after I post this. I swear it’s as thick as a cast iron pan. I really like my other Darto pans, and hope to get this beast up and running. I’m looking forward to seeing how it cooks. For any nay sayers or those on the fence about Darto pans…they’re not the prettiest, and they dont come with radiused edges…but they season up well, and they cook like crazy. Your great grandkids will still be using them after you’re long forgotten.

2 Likes

Ah, you’ll still be with them in uhane. They’ll cook for you in it at Polihale.

Kaleo…I have a new goal in life then…to become an obake.
Having spent my career working in a hospital in Hawaii, I not only believe in them, I am happy living with them.

That’s good. The night marchers like Kōkeʻe

C’mon, who are you kidding? You’re definitely buying it :smile:

1 Like

I’m serious, I’m not buying it.
Too big for my needs. I only use my carbon steel pans for meat searing and nothing else.

We’re only two in the household.
I may need to sear 4-5 steaks at the same time once every year. So this would make the Darto N30 a once every year used pan. I’d rather sear that many steaks in two smaller pans than in one big pan, as recommended by our Michelin star chef in here Justcharlie.

I’ve used mine every day since i got it and seasoned it up. I wanted to get some seasoning started… I fried up a couple of pork chops in it, made some hash with left over steak and potatoes, and fried up a potpourri of breakfast meats in it. Sorry Claus, it’s not as big as some of my larger frying pans, and gives some room so that objects in the pan are not crowded. Tho only downside to the pan I see so far is that it has some weight to it. But I have a feeling that like the rest of my Darto pans, it’s going to be a frequent flyer.

2 Likes

But if you bought it you could compare the searing difference between the Darto 4mm and other pans…

1 Like

I’m really glad you like the Darto N30 4 mm version.

So far I haven’t been close to fill out my currently largest carbon steel pan, my Darto N27 (when you look at actual inside floor space the Darto N27 is as large as the De Buyer Mineral B Pro 32 cm frying pan)

As said I make food for 2 people normally as we’re only two in our household, 4 people once in a while.

I might buy the N30 4 mm version next time it’s available though, but since my use for carbon steel pans is very specific - steak & meat searing - and I don’t consider my carbon steel pans my general pans, the N30 would only be a pan I used for when I need to sear 3 XL steaks :cut_of_meat: or 4 normal steaks :cut_of_meat:

In general I’ve started to follow an advice I received from a member on Chowhound and HO - a former Michelin chef, justcharlie. Use the correct sized pan for the task at hand instead of just using a too large or too small pan for the job. Since I started to follow that advice, I see myself using larger pans far less often than in old days where I would just use a 28 or 32 cm pan for everything.

The Darto N30 would be a pan I’d use very very rarely, just like if I bought the Demeyere Proline 32 cm frying pan (which I won’t, because it’s absolutely HUGE)

Do you own other Darto pans than the N30 by the way ?
If so how do you like them ?

Agreed, but instead I’m waiting for Darto to release 4 mm versions of the N25 and N27. When/if Darto release the 4 mm version of these two pans I’m pulling the trigger to do a direct comparison to my N25 & N27 3 mm versions.

The N30 would be a specialty pan I’d use very rarely.
Just like my Mauviel M’Cook 30 cm frying pan, which I use for two similar dishes called pork chops/hamburgers in cream-tomato mushroom sauce with added vegetables - a dish where I start on the stovetop and finish it in the oven. I specifically use my 30 cm frying pan for this, but it’s literally a dust collector the rest of the year.

Ever since I started to follow justcharlie’s advice - use the correctly sized pan for the task at hand, too big and you’ll not cook the food optimally, too small and you’ll overcrowd the food - I’ve purchased many smaller frying pans and only one or two 28 cm or larger frying pans.

If I had a family of 5, I’d surely own many more larger pans.