Darto pan 30 cm presale started

Just got the news.

Darto is making a 4 mm thick 30 cm version of their N style sauter pans. They are really more a high sided frying pan, if you ask me.

I already own the N25 & N27, but I do consider getting the N30, but since I normally cook for just two, a 30 cm carbon steel pan is overkill to be honest.

I only own one 30 cm frying pan and that’s my Mauviel M’Cook 30 cm frying pan. I use this for when I make hamburger patties and pork chops in cream sauce with vegetables, where I start on the stovetop and finish the dish in the oven, but a carbon steel pan would not work for such a type dish unless I want the seasoning totally stripped.
So I’m not so sure I’m pulling the trigger in this case.

Also a 4 mm thick 30 cm carbon steel pan with the higher sides will weigh a ton. The regular Darto’s are 3 mm thick.

Link: https://www.dartointernational.com/

It will ship in September 2022.

Cheers, Claus

3 Likes

Claus,
What is your favourite pan and and why?
Or am I hijacking your thread and you would prefer for me to start another one?
Please Lmk
Thanks,
Olunia

Hi Olunia,

I don’t have one favourite, I have a range of favourite pans.

I have yet to find one pan that excels in all areas of cooking.

My favourite frying pans will vary depending on what I make.

Searing a steak - my favourite pans are my 2 De Buyer Mineral B Pro and my 2 Darto - all 4 are carbon steel pans

Making an omelette or a frittatta and cooking delicate items like frikadeller (danish mixed pork meatballs) - my favourite pans are my 4 Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans

Sautéing vegetables and mushrooms - my favourite pans are my 2 De Buyer Inocuivre 2.0 bimetal copper pans.

Making risotto and pasta dishes - my favourite pans are my 2 Mauviel M250c 2.5 bimetal copper sauter pans.

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

Thank you Claus,
I am need of some new fry pans so very useful to me.
Thank you,
Olunia

1 Like

These are carbon steel?

Yes, Darto pans are made of carbon steel.

The regular Darto pans are 3 mm thick (like the two I own, the N25 & N27) but the new N30 will be 4 mm thick and have a helper handle and in this case I actually think the helper handle will be much needed even for a strong guy.

4 mm thickness will make the N30 as heavy as some of the heaviest cast iron pans out there, I believe.

1 Like

If you don’t use acidic ingredients often and don’t make pan sauces often, a carbon steel pan would be a good choice for you, if you want to avoid non stick pans for environmental and health reasons.

But you have to follow certain simple rules, like the ones you have to follow with bare cast iron pans.

Never soak a carbon steel pan for more than say 4-5 minutes.
Season the pan before use.
Don’t use acidic ingredients.
Always dry the pan on low heat on the stovetop after washing it or it’ll rust.

If you don’t want to follow these rules and just want to cook with the pan, my advice is to get a Demeyere Proline 7-PLY frying pan and just use the heck out of it.
It’s expensive yes, but over time it’ll be worth it.

If you don’t cook on induction you could instead get a Falk 2.5 bimetal copper frying pan.

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

Oh, so now its here, didn’t quite make it to last Christmas, but its here :slight_smile: I have the e-mail too, but noticed it from you post @Claus

I was asking about the 4mm pans from Darto in last september (2021) and then they were hoping to release this n30 4mm saute on December 2021.

In case I had a more evenly heating cooktop than a “21cm” induction, I would order this, but for now this would be rather useless for me. I’m quite happy with my Darto paella n. 35 in oven and bbq use tough, as well as my saute pans n.15, n.20, n.25.

1 Like

Double Oh, and super happy with the little keychain pans

I actually saw on reddit someone had seasoned these lmao.

3 Likes

Today was actually a Darto day in the kitchen. After finishing work, I filleted a rainbow trout with my deba and proceed to pan fry them up in 3x Darto and one Skeppshult cast iron. Some roasted potatoes in the n.35 paella. I really like the paella and store it directly in the oven, where it is then nice to preheat for roasting all kinds of things, lately asparagus and quite regularly pizza, whole chicken, whatever. Haven’t used much parchment paper since owning it.

4 Likes

I agree, Pertti.

It’s going to be too large and too heavy (thus too cumbersome) for me to purchase it.

I have too many pans already - I counted my pan collection and without counting my sauter pans but only my frying pans, I own 16 frying pans and I would not want to get rid of one of them.

1 Like

Excellent post! We each live by different standards, and there is little one-size-fits-all. Some people are willing to care for cashmere or iron fine linens or polish antiques, while others lead lives that demand instant use and reuse. I, personally, have learned that All-Clad, cast iron and Staub fit my life and cooking styles. We need to know ourselves and choose implements that not only suit our behavior but make us happy when using them.

4 Likes

Thank you !

I should actually edit my post, but can’t now.
It should have said:

Season the pan before FIRST use.
Never soak a carbon steel pan for more than say 4-5 minutes.
Don’t use acidic ingredients.
Always dry the pan on low heat on the stovetop after washing it or it’ll rust.

And I agree.
Carbon steel & raw cast iron is not for everyone.
It demands certain rituals from the user or it’ll rust.

I have honestly considered dumping all my carbon steel pans and re-purchase 2 x 4.8 mm thick Demeyere Proline 7-PLY pans and use them instead. They sear pretty much equally well as thick carbon steel pans but more evenly.

Even after seasoning my carbon steel pans to a wonderful dark patina, I still have to plan ahead when and when NOT to use my carbon steel pans, since I very often make pan sauces with some sort of wine after searing my steaks. So I either need to use another type pan for the searing or use an additional ply pan, where I make the pan sauce in, first having to deglaze the carbon steel pan then adding the scrapings from that deglaze to the ply pan where I proceed to make the pan sauce in. Quite cumbersome and a bit annoying to be honest.

My brother rarely use the two De Buyer Mineral B pans I gave him 3 years ago for these very reasons.
He finds it annoying to have to follow a set of rules to avoid it from rusting and he finds it annoying to have to consider in advance when and when not he’s going to use red wine, port, Sherry or white wine in his pan sauce.
I totally understand him.

I’m just somewhat of a fan by now of carbon steel pans, so I live with & accept the shortcomings of carbon steel pans.

But owning a set of a 24 cm and a 28 cm/32 cm Demeyere Proline 7-ply frying pans would solve the acidity and maintenance problem.

For that matter owning any PLY/Clad frying pan, like All Clad, Mauviel M’Cook or De Buyer Affinity, would solve that problem too.

Awesome Darto setup, Pertti :ok_hand:

And love your Skeppshult cast iron pan in the mix with the Darto’s too. I still have a soft spot for Skeppshult pans. But unfortunately gave my last Skeppshult pan to my father. I’m the only person using it at his home since he almost can’t handle it.

Looks like you had a great meal with your family.

1 Like

I counted 14 long handled frypans if I can include the 3 Dartos presented here. I don’t own other non stick pans except one Fiskars Norden enamelled cast iron frypan with the thermium mineral treatment as they call it, basically a form of ceramic nonstick.

I saw you mentioning the Proline and noticed that the 28cm pan would be going for 150EUR right now at kitchenone.fi, not a bad price. Sort of tempted tbh ;). You own this pan right I think? I don’t own any Demeyere pans yet and sometimes feel I should fix that.

1 Like

The Skeppshult pans are on the heavy side no doubt and they do make some noise with steel utensils :D. I asked about if you own the Prolines, but noticed now you seem to have sold them. Price of the 28cm seemed close to same in kitchenone.dk as in .fi.

I had not in a long time filleted fish, so it was nice for a change. Honestly I was a bit sloppy with the deba today, first fillet came out great, but then I rushed the second one and hence had a bit of rather thick “extras” to put on the little Darto there.

1 Like

Hi Claus,

We are a bit opposites in how we treat our carbon steel pans. I never season my De Buyer, and I scrub it clean every time after using it. I also just deglase in the pan with wine. Life is too short! :slight_smile:

It’s my favourite pan for high heat searing, closely followed by my 2.3mm stainless steel lined copper pan. Imho if one needs just one frying pan and you cook on gas, get the copper. Or second choice, gas and induction, the Paderno grand gourmet paella pan. Both are more versatile than the De Buyer. (And for me as for the Proline: never again…)

2 Likes

Hey Pertti,

I owned the Demeyere Proline 28cm for a short while, but sold it because of the helper handle and instead got two of the Demeyere Pawson 7-ply pans.
According to Demeyere same 7-ply and Silvinox finish, but designed by Pawson. And no helper handle.

The Pawson pans were the best overall pans I’ve ever owned, but even with the Silvinox finish searing some lamb sausages in the pans gave the sidewalls polymerised oil stains, that I even after 1-2 hours deglazing and cleaning with dishwashing soap and barkeepersfriend never completely removed.
I sold the pans for that reason. My ocd could not live with these stains.

Then I repurchased some De Buyer Mineral B Pro pans and used these as my dedicated searing pans as polymerised oil stains would only be part of the patina on these CS pans.

But honestly - the best most even searing pan I’ve ever tried were the Demeyere 7-ply pans. Nothing beats it. Not even 2.5 bimetal copper.

I’m pulling the trigger on a set of Demeyere Proline
7-ply pans as I write this. 24cm and 28cm and I’ll live with the polymerised oil stains.
I need them back in my collection. They are that good for searing meat. And I can use acidic ingredients in them without problems.

1 Like

Hi Claus,

For high temperature searing, I use Staub ECI–not high carbon pans. Tonight, I seared a steak at high temperature with a Staub 28 cm brazier on my induction hob at 500+ degrees as measured by my infrared device. Cleaned up easily.

For stir fry applications, I use the Staub “perfect pan”–a wok like pan that connects well to my induction unit.

I’ve gotten drawn into this testing out the prep work with my repurposed debas (now butcher knives).

Having lots of fun.

Ray

1 Like

Hi Damiano,

I did try to do wine reduction pan sauces in my carbon steel pans, but first of all this would remove parts of the seasoning in the pan and that old burnt in oil seasoning would give the pan sauce a weird taste and secondly I would have to do a re-seasoning of the pan to avoid it from rusting.

How easily a carbon steel pan rusts depends on the climate and environment you live in.
My CS pans can literally rust just from sitting on open aired shelves, unless I oil them and re-season them before storing them away.

The Demeyere Pawson 7-ply pan is still the overall best most evenly heated frying pan I’ve yet to own beating my Mauviel and Falk 2.5 copper.

1 Like