Curtido!

the new Noma Guide to Fermentation has a genius low cost solution for this: use a ziploc bag and fill it with water. You just have to not overfill it so you can get it into the mouth of the jar. I did this for a batch of kim chi I just made and it works like a charm.

3 Likes

They totally stole that from me. I’ve made pickles using that method for years. But fill the ziploc with brine, not water, in case it leaks.

6 Likes

How did it turn out?

1 Like

If I recall correctly, it turned out well. On the other hand, I still have some, and it’s been four months, if that’s any measure of success.

I got inspired by this thread and did a batch myself. Mostly just wung it off a couple of those recipes, using mostly cider vinegar, salt, Mexican oregano and the juice of a half a lime. I had to top it off a bit with water, and I filled my ziploc with brine like @small_h suggested.

It’s only been going a few days, but there’s def. action going on–it hisses every time I crack the top. Will taste soon.

4 Likes

Making “it” again. Curtido or pikliz. :no_mouth:

Curtido! But with some vinegar.

4 Likes

The Pikliz we make also has green onions and shallots. We also charge the jars with thyme, lime juice and garlic. And a LOT of habaneros (since scotch bonnets are hard to find around here).

1 Like

Pikliz!

I’d love to think it might ferment like the "quick curtido " recipe in the Serious Eats link, but I used something more like the NYT pikliz recipe, which uses way more vinegar.

2 Likes

I make curtido with vinegar since that’s how I’ve always had it whether in a Salvadoran home or a restaurant. I do know it can be fermented, but I’ve never actually seen it not be pickled. The oregano is a constant. I’ve never seen oil in it.
It’s also not spicy since like most Latin American food, Salvadoran food is not hot.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Cool post. I am tabula rasa about curtido, but I’ll learn as I try to follow along…