Curtido!

"… If the smell turns your stomach, toss it. "

LOL! This might be one of the few forums where you actually have to specify that!

Maybe I meant to make Pikliz!

Pikliz from NYT

1 Like

Maybe this is why you wind up with leftover…:wink:

Why not try making just a small portion of the salad first to see how much you like it. Then decide if you want to brine, ferment or just make it occasionally.

1 Like

Of course you are right about the small portions. Hopefully this s not too much.

4 Likes

Nicely done!

1 Like

I can totally relate to the progressive series of leftover ingredients… :smile:

I hope you are making pupusas to go with the curtido!

2 Likes

That sounds so good, but I have indulged in stuffed things enough for quite awhile.

I HATE throwing good food away, but with just two of us; only one of whom likes to experiment, it happens too much!

Me too. I end up freezing when I can’t buy smaller quantities (1 lb ground turkey = 4 freezer portions). Cabbage is tough, because even the smallest one shreds to a lot! Sometimes I’ll just buy a package of shredded or slaw mix so I don’t have the pressure of using up the rest of a head :neutral_face:

4 Likes

That stuff is gooooood!

Don’t have this problem in my household. We eat a lot of coleslaw. I just trim off the gray parts. So much for me and my advice about mold LOL.

1 Like

“We eat a lot of coleslaw”

I think I could eat a lot! Do you use variations? Care to share?

Piklitz? How do you folks see it as different in flavor or texture, or whatever from Curtido? I’m getting a little nervous about my ferment.

Not fermented, and includes allspice berries, bell pepper, and black peppercorn. Way spicier.

1 Like

I have a few go-tos:

-classic with carrot in a sweet-tangy white dressing or creamy honey mustard

-the classic adding dill, celery seed, and a little bit of Greek yogurt or sour cream for more of a ranch style

-Central Asian with cabbage, carrot, shredded cucumber, scallion, oil, white/cider vinegar, cilantro, ground coriander, a smidge of cumin and sugar

-cabbage dressed in a sauce of kimchi pureed with sesame oil, chili-garlic sauce, and ponzu sauce and tossed with toasted sesame seeds

2 Likes

Oh boy! Oh boy!

What is “sweet-tangy white dressing”? Cole-sslaw dressing?

Yup

1 Like

I forgot - blue-cheese cole slaw (blue cheese crumbles, sour cream, mayo, dash of celery salt, lots of black pepper) with cabbage and shaved celery!

1 Like

These are a few of my favorite things!

I got a few bubbles!

And no mold…yet!

3 Likes

Pikliz is pickled - cured in vinegar - and Curtido is fermented, Usually you want about 2% salt to cabbage by weight. I usually slice the veggies & put them in a bowl, salting as I go. I usually let it stand for an hour & then I pack it into the containers tightly. I really squash it down to squeeze out the juice to make the brine. The salt should draw out enough liquid from the cabbage to make a brine that covers all the cabbage. If not - you can add brine made with 1 1/2 T salt to 1 Quart of water. DO NOT USE iodized salt. Anything not submerged will spoil so you have to figure some way to weight it down. Or put it in a container with a fermentation valve so there is no oxygen.

2 Likes