Crusty Hard Rolls? [Greater Boston area]

Lately, we’ve been craving the kind of fresh, crusty hard rolls that my Grandpa Mike used to bring home after shopping on Legion Ave. in New Haven. I’m in Waltham and def looking for some. The supermarket ones are never crusty and I’ve not seen them at bakeries. Can anyone suggest a source. I’m talking about the kind of roll that can stand up to liverwurst and a Vidalia onion, or lox and fresh tomato. Or even a great Ruben.

3 Likes

Do you mean like the hard rolls that Bertucci’s serves?

Iggy’s website shows French rolls. I’ve never tried them so I’m not sure how crusty they are, and they could be smaller than what you’re looking for. The website says that some Iggy’s products (not specified) are sold at ROCHE BROTHERS WALTHAM
STAR MARKET WALTHAM (LEXINGTON ST)

Clear Flour in Brookline shows “crunchy crust” rustic Italian rolls.

4 Likes

The Clear Flour ones are crustier than Iggy’s. But neither has a crackly crust the way a good Bánh mì roll might have, if that’s what the OP wants.

1 Like

Seconding Iggy’s (although also seconding the concern over whether they are quite crusty enough) - I believe that Iggy’s even sells a tomato and lox sandwich on those rolls at their incredible spot on Fawcett Rd.

2 Likes

If you are talking about crusty rolls like their typical in Germany we never found one in Boston (the ones at Iggy’s are quite soft). Karl’s Sausages in Peabody had sometimes such German rolls on the freezer - they are not perfect but better than your standard soft rolls you get everywhere

Maybe you are seeking an old-school Italian type roll, such as those from Piantedosi? I used to eat subs on bread like that in my “yoot;” crackly outside, very soft interior. But not so crackly that it cuts the roof of your mouth and just enough heft to withstand lashings of oil and vinegar on my veggie subs.

4 Likes

If you can’t find any you like, maybe make your own. I enjoy crusty bread, so I make my own.

This is my whole wheat version…

5 Likes

I wonder if Domenic’s in Waltham would sell you some of their ciabatta? They have a choice of either soft or crusty now online when ordering sandwiches.

3 Likes

These sound very promising. Thanks!

1 Like

Probably not what you’re looking for, but I find the mini French baguette breads used in banh mi to usually be pretty crusty and hard. I heard Banh mi Ba Le in Dorchester used to bake their own; but not sure if that is true or still true.

On a side note, I must be one of the few people who does not like overly crusty, hard bread. I don’t enjoy eating with the roof of my mouth all scratched up. :pensive:

2 Likes

I’m with you on this one. Having lived in France, a baguette will not do this.

Bread Obsession in Lexington looks like a nice Ciabatta https://www.bread-obsession.com/breads

MA France also in Lexington has nice rolls https://www.mafrancegourmet.com/store/c5/Boulangerie-Viennoiserie_(Breads_%26_Croissants).html

1 Like