French/Paris ham [Greater Boston area]

Whole Foods Has the sliced 3 Little Pigs on sale through Tues, the 29th for $5.39 for Prime members. Reg price $7.99. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/three-little-pigs-jambon-de-paris-b08vtf4xyr

3 Likes

I love SG too and have bought several things from them, including Jambon de Paris and much wine especially when Theresa Paopao worked there. Theresa handled the wine at Oleana for a while and also worked with Tim Maslow towards the later stages of his FishyFish operation.

But to return to J de P, I thought the SG version slightly rubbery compared to the silkier Formaggio Kitchen version, but I’ve never done a side-by-side comparison and may just be imagining things. Both FK and SG charge $15/lb (I checked today), and I’d say in every case where FK has a competitive price go with FK. Whole Foods sells a “Jambon Royale Euro-Style Ham” for $16.99, as another point of comparison.

4 Likes

Are these prices per lb?

To answer my own question, looking closely at the image, that’s the price for 6oz, so $14.37/lb on sale. Ingredients are “Ham, Water, Sea Salt, Dextrose, Celery Powder, Spices, Cherry Powder, Cane Sugar”, but I confess I don’t know what the ingredients are in other packaged J d Ps.

I assume it’s for the 6 ounce package that’s shown in the picture.

MA France definitely has Jambon de Paris!

6 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I used to get a ham here (Ottawa) called “Jambon Blanc de Paris “, but don’t know where it was made. I now get a somewhat similar one called “Jambon Blanc”, which is made in Quebec.

Formaggio Kitchen has Parisian ham, but as someone born and raised in Paris for 20 years, it’s okay - I’ve definitely had better.

This is going to sound super weird and random but I’ve had great luck finding Parisian-style ham at some Polish delis if you ask for “grandma ham” some places will have it and it’s pretty similar but in my opinion better (and way cheaper) than the one at Formaggio

As others have stated, I’ve also seen some at Wegmans

3 Likes

Which are the delis you’ve had success with, and what are the prices there? One significant plus at FK is the ability to get a small quantity and have it sliced as thin (translucently so if you so desire) or as thick as you want.

I like Euromart on Dorchester Ave and DJ’s market on Boston Ave. usually for kielbasa (many kinds), and very good smoked pork and bacon, but they do have Polish Ham. Prices are reasonable 6-12 bucks a pound for everything in the deli case. I love Jambon beurre and recall recently a cruise on a French ship that I made one from the breakfast buffet for my traveling lunch every day.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting! Bonus points for one-stop shopping… grab your French goodies and pop across the street for libations from Berman’s. Not to mention TJs and Penzey’s within walking distance.

1 Like

Hi-Rise is now carrying this classic sandwich for 6 bucks (yes, it’s Hi-Rise and it’s $6). It’s pretty good. The bread they use is a thin, pointy version of their version of ciabatta --a pale, wan version that I don’t normally care for, but it actually works well in this sandwich. Crusty enough bit not too crusty, and – @kobuta alert – it will not cut the roof of your mouth.

Oh, they also have a version with cheese for $7, but I’d go for the classic.

3 Likes

Lol. Appreciate the heads up. :laughing:

1 Like

This is critical information. I thought it was just me, but I feel seen now @kobuta.

3 Likes

We, with sensitive roofs in our mouth, need to unite and provide each other support.

7 Likes

I believe the Clear Flour coffee shop that they opened next door carries them. Call to confirm; they have been selling out before noon.

2 Likes

@fooddabbler Which are the delis you’ve had success with, and what are the prices there?

I’ve had lunch at Podhale Deli which is near Stougton Center. Their grandma ham is great. I know it’s out of the way but not terribly far from Ikea (~ 8 minutes) so if you’re ever in that area, it may be worth it. I don’t remember the price; I’m overdue for a visit.

2 Likes

I had it yesterday and it was very good, but the ham is smoked.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)