Crispy chicken skin!

I was making a boneless, skinless, chicken breast recipe and wanted to use the skin.

This was fun!
Hot thai crispy chicken skin
Blanched , sort of weighted and pressed between paper towels, for more days than I care to admit.

Then microwaved for 2-3 minutes.

VERY nice texture.

9 Likes

Every year after Thanksgiving, I rip the skin off the turkey and crisp up big slabs of it in the convection toaster oven, to eat just like that. Ridiculously good with leftover mashed potatoes. It is the best part of the holiday, if you ask me.

7 Likes

Looks good.

I used to microwave the skin, but now I bake it between two small sheet pans.

1 Like

YUM! I don’t usually have chicken skin separated from the meat. They are cooked together!

I have some pork skin, fish and eel skins in the freezer, I guess it’s the same way to make the crisps!

2 Likes

Oh, I just bought 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken skin from a poultry place in Cambridge MA and divided them into several packages to stash in the freezer. My daughter-in-law loves crispy skin. Thanks for the post and the tips!

3 Likes

You are so welcome!

I am so happy to have found a way to feel good about buying chicken breasts, which I abhor, unless cooked exquisitely, and which my husband likes boneless and skinless, the drier and chalkier the better. But with gravy. :worried:.

I knew what to do with the bones, and now I know what to do with the skin. Its a win-win.

3 Likes

Doing this again, and comparing bake for an hour vs microwave recipe.

ree-drummond/crispy-chicken-skins

Wooden skillet

Why would I bake for an hour?

2 Likes

Such a funny coincidence: was rearranging the freezer today & found 2, yes 2 bags of chicken skin, probably a pound or so. Now I know what to do wirh it, love, love, love crispy chicken skin!!! :yum::heart::yum::heart::yum:

1 Like

Two bags! Wow!

I am juggling my husband’s and daughter’s preferences, neither of which include MY preference for chicken skin, and I’m about to “act out”.

I’m hoping to make Jambalaya (with rice??? Okay, preferably cauliflower “rice”), and a chicken skin garnish.

"…In a small pot, bring about 1/2 inch of water to a boil. Add chicken skin and blanch for 15-20 seconds just until the skin is fully cooked. Remove and place on a piece of paper towel to absorb excess water.

Once the skin is cool enough to handle, pull off any big pieces of fat or meat that is attached to the skin. Pay particular attention to the edges of the skin, which is where thick chunks of fat like to live.

Transfer 2 pieces of chicken skin to another plate lined with 2 layers of paper towel, season with salt and pepper or any other seasoning you like. Cover loosely with 2 more layers of paper towel…_."

Six layers of paper towels!

Interesting that all those paper towels now seem so precious.

2 Likes

I just did this for the first time tonight. I didn’t bother with any of the paper towel or weighting stuff. I spread them on a carbon steel baking sheet, salted, and put in a 350° oven. It took about 20 minutes to brown and crisp. I used it for garnish on soba soup, and got a bit of schmaltz as a bonus.

I will absolutely do this again.

4 Likes

Today I was calling myself making a “simple” "Roman Style Chicken" recipe from Food Network but it called for skinless chicken so…

I just did it slow in the pan
(It also called for red and yellow sweet peppers
and I had roasted poblanos)

Found a yellow one!

I boned, skinned, pared, and seeded with my newly re-crafted paring knife!

Thanks @Eiron

8 Likes

Yes! to chicken skin!

3 Likes

Those chicken skins look exactly like what I do when removing skin from thighs. I scrape out as much fat from the skins then spread them out in a cast iron skillet until golden and crispy. Cooks treat as my wife is anti chicken skin. Oh well. :man_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Mr. travelmad478 is also anti-chicken-skin and completely grossed out by me eating it. I don’t know why, because he’s Jewish like me and should be pro-gribenes, but it just means there’s more for me.

6 Likes

Chicken skin crisps up beautifully in an air fryer.

It’s almost too easy. Not good unless you sell Lipitor for a living.

4 Likes

So much fat is removed during rendering. I scrape out the skins before spreading them out in a med-hot pan. They come out like potato chips, thin and crunchy

3 Likes

Crispy chicken skin is such a lost art in this day of boneless skinless everything. Thank you for bringing love to the skin.

For those who have an air fryer, it’s fantastic for getting cripsy skin!

3 Likes