Crawfish in NJ - Where to find them?????

Haha! I think I remember seeing them at one buffet and they called them baby lobster.

China buffet is like riding a moped. It can be fun but you just don’t want to be seen doing it.

It’s been well over a year since I’ve been to the China buffet in eatontown. I think I’m probably ready for a trip sooner or later.

5 Likes

The China Buffet in Hazlet (used to be same owners) isn’t much better. I tried it last year after not being there since I was a child. I was praying no one would see me there. I didn’t even review it! But of course, halfway through I hear a “Hey Greg!”. It was a former coworker of mine.

Anyway, food is dreadful. Lukewarm, soggy, limp. Everything looks old. It could come right out of the wok and still not be hot. Bizarre. They had nice looking pastries for dessert but were hard as a rock. Probably bought day old items from Normandie bakery a few doors down.

The Middletown location was actually decent but closed and their replacement was even better but failed as well.

Lol…yeah you kind of feel crappy walking into a China buffet in Monmouth county. The Eatontown one is the “best” of the ones around here I think. I’ve been to the Hazlet and Middletown places plenty of times as well. Maybe we should start an NJ China buffet thread. Haha! Man I miss those days…packing 5 or 6 dudes in a car and just tearing food up :slight_smile: to be young again

2 Likes

Ikea also has them once a year as well, but I wouldn’t touch those. Lol

@NotJrvedivici, Perhaps you should split the crawfish discussion to its own thread?

Also my last tinder date review … :grin:

5 Likes

You got it.

1 Like

used to crush one particular one in college- took a long time to realize what to fill up on and what to avoid. Of course, best served in college when you head back to dorms and everyone has access to their own toilet!

1 Like

Check this out guys. I just stumbled across this. I saw a pic of a some crawfish and got excited. Has anyone been?

http://cajuncrabonline.com

I like how the website says authentic Louisiana seafood then lists clams. Clams are not authentic Louisiana seafood, Cajun fries are not authentic either.

1 Like

True. Is it me or is 50 kind of expensive for a strip mall meal?

Yep, and looking at the description of the boiled items, it says they are boiled then put in a bag with seasonings.

I will pass on that.

This kind of place is very popular in Las Vegas and actually looks pretty good IRL.

I think the first one was Hot N Juicy Crawfish

A lot of the Vietnamese places in Houston’s huge Chinatown use the bag method often with a garlic butter sauce.

Do they boil them in a bag or just toss them in a bag and mix with spices? It would seem the best way would be to boil them with seasoning and then if going with the bag, shake them up so there is some seasoning on the outside for taste and show. At least from my crab cooking, this would seem to be the best way but I’m definitely not putting my crabs in a bag!

1 Like

I am not a fan of putting seasoning on after being boiled. If the water is seasoned properly and the Crawfish soak then they will be spicy. I don’t like having a bunch of seasoning on my hands.
I have been boiling Crawfish for over 35 years and am a purist. Lol

I also don’t think king cakes should be sold or consumed before Jan 6th and after Mardi gras day.

2 Likes

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/crawfish-cafe-crawfish-and-noodles-houston-crawfish-taste-test-9291535https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/crawfish-cafe-crawfish-and-noodles-houston-crawfish-taste-test-9291535

Yes they boil, place in bag with seasoning and emptied in a bowl at the table.

Yeah I understand. I’ve never cooked a single crawfish in my life but I’ve eaten some on several occasions (whole ones I mean.) I’m just curious as to how these things are cooked and the methods they use. The Asian cultures around here cook crab different ways too so it’s neat to see and try different styles used.

Let me sift through this and report back.

How many people do you think 100lbs would feed? Obviously this is just a very rough estimate. I’m intrigued. I might have to plan something out and if doing it I’m going big! Maybe a camping trip, family gathering, hodown. I think if I can cook some damn good crab, I can make a half decent crawfish pot. Maybe lol

I have a friend who used to have at least 100 pounds shipped in every May for his annual crawfish fest here in NJ-let me ask him how much he ordered…