County Square Market in Vacaville

136 Peabody Rd, Vacaville, CA 95687

Thanks to @gcaggiano, I was supposed to be getting a jar of red curry paste.

No supermarket Thai curry pastes. I don’t like shopping, but I always like being here, and I took some pictures.

What I bought and will be harassing you about.

Sort of busy for 12 PM

Maybe because of the coming New Year. They close early for that.

I found this.

新年快乐 / 新年快樂 (Xīnnián kuàilè)

‘New Year happiness!’

• In Mandarin : /sshin-nyen kwhy-ler/ [](javascript::wink:
  • In Cantonese : /sen-nin feye-lor/ [](javascript::wink:

“Xīnnián kuàilè” (新年快乐) means ’Happy New Year’. “Xīnnián kuàilè” is a great way to say “Happy New Year” in Chinese. It is a formal greeting typically used for strangers.

新年好 / 新年好 (Xīnnián hǎo)

‘New Year goodness!’ (like “Good day.”)

• In Mandarin : /sshin-nyen haoww/ [](javascript::wink:
  • In Cantonese : /sen-nin haow/ [](javascript::wink:

A shortened version is “Xīnnián hǎo” (新年好), which is more often used for friends and family.

过年好 / 過年好 (Guònián hǎo)

‘Pass the New Year well!’

• In Mandarin : /gwor-nyen haoww/ [](javascript::wink:
  • In Cantonese : /gwor-nin haow/ [](javascript::wink:

“Guò nián hǎo"(过年好) means “Happy Lunar New Year”. It is a traditional and informal way to greet people during the Chinese New Year period.

9 Likes

2 Likes

I was there again today, and have more questions than answers. Among other things I was looking for “bao” for some duck snacks. These were some choices.

![IMG_20200131_170332|700x525](upload://k320axwZadmgQHG

Some looked like the freezer temps were inconsistent.
I ended up with these from brand in the second picture.

4 Likes

More choices.
Which wine?

Which Bok Choy for my pork shank recipe?

I have already chosen, but am curious about how other folks do.
And check out these jackfruit!

3 Likes

4 Likes

Son just pointed out to me that it’s COUNTY Square Market!

1 Like

Apparently I missed the entire discussion. Dependent on what you are trying to cook. A lot of the wines in your two pictures are Huadiaos or Shaoxings. They can be used for like drunken chicken, or wine-sauteed clams. I’d go straight for the Gu Yue Long Shan 8 year huadiao. 3 years minimum. Skip the cheaper ones that’s specific for cooking.

These are the two 8 year Huadiaos currently sitting in my pantry. I use them interchangeably with the Gu Yue Long Shan. Sometimes when I am feeling like it I will get a 15 year for cooking. But they are not as widely sold in supermarkets.

I can’t see the soy sauce labels very clearly. If they have ones made from whole soy beans, those would be preferable. I think the San-J with the blue wrapper is one of them. The Korean labels are a bit blurry.

1 Like

Today’s pictures!

1 Like

And of course …

4 Likes