Cheeses and other dairy for cooking

Agreed… Safeway’s deli brand (Primo-Taglio) has a mild white and sharper yellow American that is more substantial as it melts, and has more flavor. They usually have it sliced daily in half pound ziploc bags for about 5 bucks. It is my go to for cheeseburgers.

3 Likes

I have a can; haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Sunshine is the same way, if grilled cheese enters her mind… she wants one.
I picked up a panini maker at Goodwill to make quick work of preparing one. I’ll throw on some ham or whatever I have in the fridge to “fancy it up”.
I was really surprised how easy it is to clean this particular (Bella) panini maker. I can’t speak for all of them, but this one heats up quick, makes a beautiful end product and puts a smile on Sunshine’s face.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I even knew that existed. I’ll have to look and see if they have it around here. I do get dry milk powder for sausage making, so hopefully they carry this around here, too.

Can it be used for making soured cream? Or is it just for pancakes/biscuits etc.?

1 Like

I haven’t tried it for that. I do use it as a liquid, rehydrated using the instructions.

I get so jealous seeing this photo. I’m an hour and a half from the Mexican border and I have NEVER seen such an incredible variety of crema here.

1 Like

That’s what I was going for, so thanks! :smiling_face:

I wonder how the demographics compare. I just came from our local Asian market which I find eye-popping, bet my town demographic ( nor proximity to anywhere in Asia…can I still say Asia? :thinking:) doesn’t really explain it.

1 Like

Forgot to add brie/camembert, swiss, baby swiss, sharp cheddar, Jarlsberg, and various pedigreed or mutt cheese that looks or sounds good. Oh- mascarpone, too

2 Likes

Your crema selection is, indeed, vast. As to whether one can say Asia, that triggers a litany of political questions for me, seriously. I so look forward to that day when we can simply refer to people as people without feeling the need to catalogue them. It drives me nuts when the news refers to a Caucasian man as a man but refers to a non-Caucasian by race.

2 Likes

Yes, but I was referring to a continent . Continents change names, and sometimes the borders.

I recently heard a passionate discussion on a cooking show, I think Ugly Delicious, about referring to Middle Eastern vs Mediterranean vs a variety of specific countries, and regions in specific countries. My DIL, who is from Turkey, which is half in Europe and half in Asia, made a point of saying she was looking for a Mediterranean, and not a Middle Eastern grocery store.

2 Likes

That would be interesting to find out. I’m pretty sure “Asian” is acceptable term. If I’m wrong we’ll for sure find out but I haven’t heard otherwise.

1 Like

I love this whole thread. Everything in my fridge or rotation has been mentioned, I think, with the exception of smoked cheese. Love a smoked cheddar or smoked mozz as a special occaision item.

3 Likes

Try Mexican Oaxacan anytime you want that ooooze factor. Great melting cheese.

3 Likes

It is also challenging to deal with food in terms of larger areas. Even countries have diverse areas with quite different cuisines and ingredients. To a number of American sensibilities, the notion of Mediterranean might conjure up coastal French, Spanish, Portuguese, and maybe Greek, skipping over Serbiam, Croation, and pretty much all of the eastern and southern coasts. When I shop in stores advertised as Middle Eastern I often find a great selection of spices, but I can usually find the same spices in Indian markets. Heck, even an Italian grocery is likely to have chiefly those things Americans think of as Italian and often very little, if anything, from some of the regions. Turkey is an amazing example, literally existing on two continents. I have neighbors from Turkey but have not talked food with them. On the different sides of the Bosphorus are the foods at all different? Sorry if this is too off topic. Feel free to ignore this as just early morning musings.

4 Likes

Smoked goat Gouda is a popular snack here.

2 Likes

I’m a former cheesemonger! That was clearly the best job I ever had. At some point, either due to experience or gluttony, I adopted the trick of adding one extra cheese to any cheesy recipe I was making (mac and cheese, pizza, grilled cheese, etc.) and for the most part, that cheese is Taleggio. So wonderfully rich and gooey, stinky, and worthy of obsession!

6 Likes

Taleggio is in my top ten cheeses. A favorite non-recipe is ciabatta with sautéed mushrooms and melted taleggio on top.

4 Likes

I don’t know enough to even speculate. I’m now learning about the Black Sea, and how Georgia fits in. I now have in-laws in both the country and the city!

Ooo! A lot of cheeses are eaten, especially for breakfast! Not cooking really, but otherwise back on topic!

2 Likes

Red Mill’s powdered buttermilk is good. About 100x better than keeping iffy fresh around.

1 Like

Every kind of cheese i can get my paws on. One wouldn’t cook with Juusto, though.
bulk tank milk
sour cream
crema
yogurt
butter (salted and non)
ghee
heavy cream, separated from bulk tank milk

2 Likes