Country Markets, Eastchester posts: 'No Animals Allowed' signs!

While we all know there are laws about it, Country Markets on Rt. 22 in Eastchester found it necessary to post signs at each entrance: ‘NO ANIMALS ALLOWED’. Service dog owners are required to show valid I.D. Really, what are people thinking? What other animals besides a dog would someone bring into a store?

Well, when my sister in law first lived in Spain, she had a pet lamb. Used to walk round with it on a leash. I recall she found it quite sad when it became the lamb’s , erm, time.

1 Like

FIn Los Angeles, people bring their dogs everywhere. They buy little “service dog” vests online for their mangy, ancient little Shi Tzus and waltz into grocers and restaurants and coffee shops. :roll_eyes:

“While we all know there are laws about it, Country Markets on Rt. 22 in Eastchester found it necessary to post signs at each entrance: ‘NO ANIMALS ALLOWED’. Service dog owners are required to show valid I.D. Really, what are people thinking?”

Not at all surprised that management needed to display these signs … for those unfamiliar with this market, it is located in the front parking lot of Country Market, which is a supermarket. Parking is limited to the back parking lot on Sunday’s when the market is operational because the market is set up in the front parking lot. People park behind the store in the back lot and walk through the store and out the front doors to access the farmers market, with or without fluffy in tow. There are “no dogs / pets allowed” signs popping at other markets in Westchester County, it’s a documented problem that has been discussed … Pets at Farmers’ Markets: Yes or No?

I’m not surprised either. The Pleasantville market is much better now that dogs aren’t allowed. It’s not the dogs so much as badly behaved owners. Apparently among many issues some were letting their dogs do their “business” within the market confines and not cleaning up after them. Disgusting. A few dogs were not well controlled by their owners and market visitors should not have to deal with that.

Edit-- sorry-- I thought this was about farmers’ markets specifically… what disgusts me even more is when people go into supermarkets and put their dogs in the top area for kids. I know someone who works at Costco and he has to tell people to remove their dogs from it.

It is I believe, but what makes ctown unique is that there is that Sunday farmers market on site. I have shopped at this particular ctown daily at all times of day and night for years and have never seen or heard anything from anyone regarding this issue, so I’m going to assume the need for the recent signage is a direct result of people walking through the store with their animals to access the famers market.

What is most distasteful to me is the fact that this type of behavior makes it so very difficult for folks who depend on service animals to aid them with their activities of daily living … their lives are difficult enough with out having to deal with this BS. BTW I am a huge animal advocate and would rather be around well behaved animals, dogs in particular than most people anywhere anytime.

1 Like