Counter Depth Refrigerators

Then that must make me a condiment hoarder. We might have more condiments than a small international grocery store.

3 Likes

" Canadian Efficiency "…if there is such a thing?!🤔😉

Appliance store delivery crew dropped off this new ‘non-Asian’ - Whirlpool counter depth replacement for my ‘only 7 years old’, un-reliable ( broken down compressor ) Samsung fridge at 7.48 am this morning!! Wow!!🤪
Funny thing was that, all other similar design we managed to locate were all either made by Samsung or China? :joy:

1 Like

Congratulations on getting a new fridge. They literally don’t make them like they used to. 7 years is what I’m told to expect - my first one was 15 yrs old and still completely functional when I redid the kitchen and need to put in a new one b/c of the design. Each time period between replacements has gotten shorter …

1 Like

Interesting the sales rep., of the appliance store we bought the Whirlpool from told us Samsung is ‘THE WORST’ and least reliable refrigerator brand in the market!!..even though their store carry one of the largest selection of Samsung!! Mind you, their ’ gimmicky,high-tech ’ features are pretty impressive and fun to 'play with '!!
LG on the other hand is pretty reliable!..but doesn’t have the streamline handle-less ’ bespoke ’ design we were looking for.

I’ve heard the same things about Samsung refrigerators over and over again, many times totally unsolicited opinions. Agree that they’re cool looking and do nifty things tho.

Before the kitchen remodel, we had a side by side counter depth Amana fridge with the best interior ice maker imaginable for about 32 years. Still going strong when we gave it away - unbelievable!

2 Likes

Years ago, we too used to have Amana fridge and Maytag washing machines. Like you said, they lasted for years and years!

2 Likes

It is crazy by today’s standards how long things used to last. The Amana was even an exception in its time - the late 80’s! Of course many more things to go wrong at present. Another thing is that broken appliances are barged elsewhere, stripped for parts and made into “new appliances.” Nice they’re getting recycled, but new appliances aren’t exactly new, unfortunately.

A salesman in a family-owned appliance store told me the same thing.

(post deleted by author)

Chiming in with research I recently needed to do to replace our 12 year old counter-depth fridge. The freezer portion failed and the best efforts of a trustworthy repair technician couldn’t bring it back to life.

Yale Appliance compiles reliability data and recommendations based on the service calls for appliances they sell. You can learn quite a bit on the site itself, without having to register to download a buying guide. A key point is that you are going to need service, so make sure you know who is going to service that appliance you buy. As in: Do you service what you sell?

Also if you happen to be renovating or building a new kitchen, make sure your design allows room for simple replacement using standard-sized appliances. How I wish the previous owners of our home had considered fridge replacement in their beautiful renovation. The layout of our small kitchen only accommodates one specific model from one manufacturer. The cutout (opening) for the fridge is so limiting that accommodating a more standard-sized unit would require removing some cabinets, redoing the entire kitchen floor (existing tile is discontinued), and patching/replastering the wall where the removed cabinets had been.

Leaving this info here in case it helps someone later.

1 Like

Very important: by from a service what you sell appliance source. I won’t buy any other way. Also , the cutout space for the fridge - this happened when my friends did an extensive renovation of their house. They only left room for a cutout for a tiny fridge, with no possibility of a water hookup , because that’s what they wanted. Well, they’re both gone now, and yesterday the executor finally sold the house. I didn’t ask about the kitchen; I doubt if they would know. But it always struck me as a foolish choice in the renovation.

1 Like

Sigh, this is exactly why it’s more functional to avoid configuring kitchen cabinets with a cutout that will accommodate only one specific fridge.

I reluctantly foresee a kitchen redo for us if we remain in our house long-term. Earlier on this thread, I mentioned we added a second fridge with freezer for the basement because the upstairs refrigerator doesn’t have adequate space. Multiple daily trips up and down the basement stairs could get challenging as we grow older.

1 Like