Counter Depth Refrigerators

Those HGTV remodeling shows might scoff at the design, but the contractor did a great job.

1 Like

I’m no expert on refrigerator design, but I’ve never understood why the deep options were so popular. Especially with “French” doors being widely available.

I got a 17cf unit for my bunkhouse at the Beach, and while I wish it had the freezer down low, it’s as much space as I need with the counter-height unit inside.

1 Like

Drawers.

The more shallow a fridge (like counter-depth ones) the more shallow – and hence less usable – drawers will be.

Well, in this household, we jokingly refer to the drawers as “rot drawers”–where bagged scallions and much else goes to goo. Shallower doesn’t equate with unusable, IMO.

I do know enough about reefer design to know that the bottom drawer(s) is usually minimized anyway to make room for the compressor and condenser.

If your argument is that a walk-in better stores vegetables, you’ll get no rejoinder from me. But plunking a monolithic refeer in a normal-sized kitchen just to have larger drawers? I see little sense in that. Unlike children, reefers should be seen as little as possible.

Plenty of stuff ( especially green onions) disappears to die in the drawers, even in my counter-depth refrigerators. I used to joke that I kept my cancelled checks (remember them?) in the back of my (regular depth) fridge because I knew they’d repose there undisturbed and undiscovered. I regret that my new Bosch has a much smaller dumpster dive freezer than my old side by side KitchenAid, but truth to tell, I need the discipline of curating the freezer. It’s like closets; the contents always expands to fill the space. It’s an adventure that doesn’t need to happen, if I were more disciplined.

4 Likes

I’m assuming you mean these don’t keep well in your fridge. Leave the roots on and place root ends down in a container with an inch or so of filtered water in the windowsill. They’ll keep for weeks (and actually grow).

2 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t know.

Love green onions, but they never kept well in the fridge. Discovered this about a year ago, but don’t remember where, but it is solid.

Best to replace the water every three to four days.

2 Likes

I don’t know. In my experience, the green onions are good for 2 weeks. That being said, I think it depends on where I buy them. These are a few stores where the green onions can be kept for 2 weeks. While a few other stores where the green onions are sold cheaper, but can only be kept for 1 week.

Give my method a try… I think you’ll be impressed.

I will. It seems easy enough. Just put it in water and then in room temperature? Do I need to change water frequently?

In sunlight (window etc.), filtered water (no chlorine), and refresh every 3-5 days.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks.

Well, that’s your problem right there. Should not store produce in plastic bags.

But then, you do you.

I did that during the our lockdown phase of the pandemic! It really works well! A bright spot in a dismal period.

Gee, if you research this question, you will find many reputable authorities who endorse storing green onions in plastic bags in the crisper drawer.

See, e.g., https://www.evolvingtable.com/how-to-store-green-onions/

https://food52.com/blog/27225-how-to-store-green-onions#:~:text=Wrap%20the%20green%20onions%20gently,crisper%20drawer%20of%20your%20refrigerator.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-store-green-onions/

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-store-green-onions#2CEOckI8ojdczPrYQYKl5Q

Actually, I found zero instances of anyone (but you) stating that green onions should never be stored in plastic bags. But I only looked at the first 5 pages of search results.

OOOOOOOOOOHHH- I loves it

1 Like

That’s really good advice.

I just want to say that we had issues with the Kenmore French door fridge, mainly that it froze stuff that passed an invisible spot near the back. I turned the temp up to 42 and it’s been the alternate fridge, aka beer, other beverages, and long term storage that won’t hurt from borderline freezing and it’s in the garage. Our kitchen fridge is a Samsung, that’s had issues. Something in the back of the space froze up and DH had to thaw it a few times. It also goes psycho if there’s a power outage, which thank God doesn’t happen often. There’s an online reset fix for it that we memorized. but WTH? I’d love to have water dispensing, but we had to move the fridge to a place that’d fit its lofty height, which is totally far away from any water line. Blah blah blah. I want a better kitchen, but lack the resources and especially the patience.

2 Likes

From spring of 2020, during our lockdown, after receiving a box of produce that included green onions.

It works.

4 Likes