Corrado's Coming to Brick

Evidently, the news the Corrado’s is coming to Brick has been around for a while. However, their receipt of a liquor license is pretty new. I’ve only ever been to the original store in Clifton though they have locations in 6 other towns. The Clifton location has a wide variety of food stuffs. Their produce prices are good and includes an abundance of unusual (at least for this area) fruits and vegetables. For lack of a better word, it is very “ethnic”

I have a feeling I’ll be doing a lot of food shopping in Brick.

1 Like

THAT is news!!!

Wow, that’s a hefty price for a liquor license! $575k! I had no idea they were sooooo expensive!

That is a hefty price even for here in NJ. The price would indicate it’s a full consumption license, which is always more money than a simple re-sale / packaged sales license. Not sure why they would bother getting a full consumption license if they aren’t putting in a bar etc.

1 Like

If the Brick location is anything like Clifton, they won’t really have a lot of competition in the area, needing the liquor to drive business into the store. The do have some liquor store competition though with The Wine Academy down Route 70.

Will be interesting.

1 Like

Isn’t there a Joe Canals in the immediate area as well?

Forgot about Canals. If Corrado’s liquors has the same gestalt as the store then Canals is probably more competition than Wine Academy.

As an aside, Canals (in Pensauken) was the first liquor store I saw with shopping carts.

2 Likes

I’ve gone to the Woodbridge Canal’s on a few occasions, was always impressed with their prices. I wish there was one closer to me. The Wine Academy is about the only thing keeping that plaza alive. That and the pizza place there…I can’t believe the occupancy problems they have always had there. (my father lives in the Four Seasons right there)

1 Like

I always think of Canal’s as very well priced but not very deep in selection. I’ve only been to the one in Brick once I think. I may need tovisit again.

Home Depot bookends that stretch of 70, taking advantage of being on different sides of the street, and capturing residents from either end. I think that keeps a flow of people. At one point in time the rumor was Trader Joes was going there. It made sense as that parking lot is a pain in the ass to get in and out of - a hallmark of most of the TJs I’ver ever been to.

2 Likes

I heard a rumor at one point bottle king was taking the old a and p/ acme spot in Tinton falls, where sonic was.
Given the pos liquor store there just closed maybe it’s true?

1 Like

I would LOVE to have a Bottle King here!!!

No way!! That liquor store finally closed!?!?!?!?! Their shelves were half bare for the past 2 years. They own the liquor store /bar across the street by Marshals and the one in Trader Joe’s plaza. I could never stand them.

I went there on my way to a Halloween Party 10+ years ago, just running in for a bottle of wine (I was dressed as Frankenstien in make up, no mask) they carded me, I gave them my license and they refused to serve me because they couldn’t positively ID me. LOL I was like, if this were a fake ID I"m pretty sure I wouldn’t make myself a 39 year old.

4 Likes

Yes it closed. The worst spots I’ve ever been to locally. On par with the bodega spots I’d visit in HS

1 Like

Is this the liquor store on the corner next to the sushi place?

Jr, that is a good story. You should try that again this year and film it! Go to all the local spots and see what happens. Then monetize it on YouTube :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even though the owners were very friendly to me when they first opened, they slowly became extortionists, IMO. I was on a first-name basis with them and educated Frank on the joys of Oregon pinot noir. After a while, their prices went up to be much higher than their local competitors. Then, when the Wednesday sale add came out, all of the products listed in the sale ad were disappeared from the shelves. On the rare occasion when they did have the sale product, they charged the full price. When you told the clerk, he or she would reach under the money tray and flip a switch, and had the nerve to exhibit annoyance. I’ve boycotted them for years.

I’ve heard that the shelves in the one by Trader Joe’s have been bare too.

1 Like

Yes. I’ve seen that too. Makes me think this rumor might Be teal and is them dashing out slowly. That place also sucks. I went to buy a bottle I liked once on. A top shelf and it was actually hot from being under the heating vents. I also hate the fact that six packs are. It in boxes
But that random plastic ring crap that clearly indicates a bunch of loosies tossed together. Prices service quality and selection also suck. The clown is prob the best locally but I’ve glaeen and something bought a lot of expired beers there.
Bottle king midtown is prob the best and it’s where I try to go when I can’t make a trip to sams club to stock up

1 Like

just saw posted on FB- the “Shrewsbury Wine and Liquor” has been shuttered for non-payment of taxes (allegedly per FB- pic posted). Believe this is the one in the plaza with homegoods/Panera/Verizon store/Saks.
Last time I went shelves were maybe 50% full and the beer which was the big selling point of this particular spot, was also barren, they are out of coronas (beer I was looking for).
This leaves just the one by Trader Joes now I think? Given that those licenses were renewed not too long ago, I wonder if some smart restaurant owner will grab them up.
While the three of these places suck/sucked and prob would have died on their own, it does lead me to believe someplace big must be coming in.

Did a little digging. It seems the owners filed for Chapter 11 at the beginning of the year. The store in the Tinton Falls plaza, next to Kanji, is in a sales contract. The court may be fighting the sale. I don’t do well at deciphering legal speak.

http://bankrupt.com/misc/Frank_Helmka_53_Sales.pdf

2 Likes

doing a bit of digging myself based on your digging; someone with the same name as the “proposed purchaser” on that doc is married to someone with the same name as the listed “CEO” of bottle king. Wonder if that’s at all a coincidence.
Looks like they (BK) are looking to purchase that locationS license and goods for 850K. I feel like that’s the worst of the three locations btw.

1 Like

They are being represented by Stone Mandia, they are the premier ABC attorney’s in this area. Frank Mandia the founder of the firm has a long history in the industry in this area, including having been the owner of the Trade-Winds in Sea Bright. Great guy but I’m sure he is probably retired and his son is handling this.

2 Likes