Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Think it was mentioned up thread @emglow101…have one myself and love it, but H refuses to use it. He’s the one worried that we have only 3 spare rolls of tp :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: things may change soon, however…

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200316-191545_kindlephoto-23271520
From Facebook. Stay well, Chef!

12 Likes

I think I mentioned it. We have one. I like it. My wife is less impressed.

Guess we bough ibuprofen for nothing. As @naf first reported: https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

A year or more :dizzy_face:

I’ve started a little spin-off thread: Social Distancing - how has your cooking changed?

4 Likes

Weed. I’m not kidding.

Since I retired recently and no longer fear drug testing I enjoy it in the evening but do not drive after partaking. This stuff is really good.

This may be a placebo effect but the arthritis in my shoulder is better, I’ve cut way down on prescription naproxen, and haven’t touched the course of steroids the doctor prescribed.

6 Likes
3 Likes

If it weren’t for vodka and naproxen my body wouldn’t have functioned the past 5 years.

4 Likes

I think this is going to last a lot longer than we originally thought. I had an appointment for an MRI on Friday as the two cortisone shots to my hip did nothing, but the practice called today to cancel. Instead they phoned in prescriptions for pharmacy-grade Ibuprofen and lidocaine. OK, but 90 pills and a tube of lidocaine twice the size of my toothpaste tube? With two refills? That’s at least a three month supply. Before that, no scripts . . . OTC and revisit every two weeks.

3 Likes

I inventoried my fridge and freezer today. Been social distancing and not grocery shopping since Thursday afternoon, 2/13. We were very, very lucky to have in-laws bring us a ton of free-range beef a couple of weeks ago. I also try to keep a well-stocked arsenal of condiments and pantry items (neither really captured here - definitely not an exhaustive list). Will be interesting to see how this shakes out as we eat through things. Trying to minimize waste and serve a good variety. It’s a lot, but cooking three meals a day for two hearty eaters and a fruit-and-cheese-obsessed toddler, it goes faster than you’d think.

8 Likes

An e-friend from another forum tells me she’s been out this morning to buy paint. The plan being that, if she’s locked down, she’ll do some decorating. Superstore was packed with wrinklies and much of the paint had been “panic bought” (or hadnt been delivered), as the shelves were bare.

Panic buying paint? WTF?

Our usual supermarket chain set aside the first hour today for the elderly and “vulnerable” groups. Apparently it’s been chaos. Supermarkets packed so no social distancing possible for this important group. And lots of stuff out of stock. We’ll carry on with home delivery - got the next two weeks already covered (with our third choice supermarket) and just booked one for the third week (fourth choice supermarket)

2 Likes

Ooops, I meant 3/13

Right, after having a (fortunately minor-ish) stroke and then a serious heart attack (or rather a series of them) shortly afterward, my father’s had to have INR tests weekly for > 20 years (because Coumadin/warfarin is extremely dose-sensitive), but even with it, it’s even “more” important that he/you take it every day… (I don’t live with him so I don’t know this for sure, but I don’t think he’s had to arrange for testing during 2-3 week vacations, for example…)

I’ve heard that on news too, some places are adopting this policy. The normal time waiting line is too long.

All dental clinics will be closed starting tomorrow. There will be a special clinic in each department for urgent cases.

3 Likes

Normal, people have more free time at home.

2 Likes

I’m not shy about DIY medical self-care (for myself   - I wouldn’t dream of recommending some of the stuff I do to myself or usually, even mentioning it anywhere as “public” as the Interwebz, where someone impressionable but not especially careful to do their own research might see it), but even I would hesitate to do something like that for something as relatively “routine” as “close public contact”. What’s safe, or reasonably safe, for very occasional use in specific clinical settings may or may not be (at all) safe on a more frequent basis.

Among several other things, every human’s (or rather every animal’s) respiratory tract is “colonized” by various bacteria that usually maintain a more or less stable, but somewhat tenuously stable, balance, and significantly altering that - especially more than very sporadically - can have negative ramifications. And is iodine/Betadine known to inactivate coronaviruses generally? Iodine is pretty deadly stuff, but all disinfectants aren’t as “broad spectrum” as, say, alcohol, and while strong enough alcohol is pretty effective against most viruses on surfaces, even it’s not effective against all (relatively common) “pathogens” in general…

1 Like

Apparently your friend wasn’t the only person with the same “plan”… :wink:

Yabbut good luck getting one installed right now :wink: , even if you have a place for it…

Cat came back home with scars (from fight?) since a few days accumulatively, so far hairless spots and some wounds, nothing too serious so far. We have stopped him from going out after sunset now, as not sure I can find him a vet in a quarantine situation like this.

1 Like