Corn!

I have husking down. 2- 3 pulls and the husk is off. A couple of hand slides and the silk is gone. Takes maybe 15 sec per ear and if done over the trash makes no mess in the kitchen.

I love to toast the ears over the gas flame of the stove. That gets rid of any residue silk and adds the toasty corn flavor I crave. Interestingly, I find flaming the ears with a butane torch does not produce the same flavor as the propane gas stove.

We had the Connecticut corn from Wilson Farm in Lexington at dinner tonight, and it was quite good. Tender, fairly sweet, and totally worth eating. I’ll get it again this weekend.

1 Like

In CA where I grew up no one shucked corn in the store-and they still don’t. But in nyc there are often garbage cans next to the corn display- i was flabbergasted the first time i saw people doing that in the store! Still seems odd. I peel enough to peek at the tip and then shuck at home.

1 Like

We thought it was a bit too sweet, but might have been the ones we chose. I am, of course, willing to try some more, just to be sure!

Oh, I don’t disagree. But it’s not our native corn so it is a treat for us to get decent corn before the native varieties come out. I have to say that, last year, even the Wilson corn was quite sweet but it was still delicious and tender.

this week shaw farms in dracut had georgia corn but tender crop in wenham had their own? i didn’t deal with either at the time.

Had some Wilson’s own corn tonight. I did buy it yesterday but couldn’t cook it until tonight (life happens sometimes).

It is still a little starchy, needs another week or two before I try it again.

Yes, I had some last night, too, (with their swordfish, grilled, and some smashed fried Yukon Golds) and found it a bit starchier than last year, unless I am forgetting the beginning of the season last year. It was still tasty, though, and I added the leftovers to our pasta dish tonight and they were still tasty. Let’s see how the season plays out.

Tonight, we enjoyed some Nicewitz Farm corn bought at the Union Square market this morning. Bingo!!! Local corn is in season! Not too sweet, just the right amount, and not too starchy.

However, their stone fruit trees are suffering. They were hit with a frost [as many farms were] at the wrong time. No stone fruit this summer. They pruned the trees to help them recover. But even worse? With this drought, they are worried that their trees are going to die. I consider this dire. There is nothing like a Nicewitz Family Farm peach.

This is really terrible if you ask me.

so sad about the area stone fruits this year, and even worse, the danger to the trees.

I had corn from Kimball from Union Square on Saturday
it was quite good. I even caved in and bought a few heirloom tomatoes at $5.50 a pound
waiting for them to ripen a bit more before eating. I wonder what the drought is going to do for tomatoes, corn, and all else this season.

harvest this summer is going to be dire. :frowning:

Just wanted to share this. Made it last night and it was as good as it looked.

2 Likes

Had some corn from the Farmer Dave’s farm stand in Tewksbury. They said the corn was from Hadley, MA - and it was good - not overly sweet. Not sure when theirs will be coming in, however.

1 Like

Finally found some good corn! I had recently tried some from Wilson’s own farm and from Mahoney’s (which was from an unnamed Littleton farm). Both were horribly starchy.

Just had an excellent ear from Wally’s in Haverhill. They have had some Silver Queen lately, but none today. The butter and sugar they did have was so fresh and sweet I just had the first ear raw. I had just about written off this season, so I am glad to find out that’s not so. Maybe today’s rain will also goose the quality a bit for the parched stalks still out there.

Wally’s also has a lot of Polish specialty foods. My sauerkraut pierogi are in the pan as I type.

1 Like