Corn!

Wilson’s own corn was fabulous last year. I can’t wait.

so you’re linking to a “test” done by a biased company that’s run by a journalist and documentary-maker? based on results from 131 subjects?

i buy local in-season corn from an organic farmer but i hate the kind of alarmist junk “science” you’re trotting out, sorry.

2 Likes

I cannot wait for some good NJ silver queen but its too early. I did see fresh corn at the asian market today but no idea the origin. Last year was bad we got very little at high cost. So far this year looks good looking forward to big stacks of fresh jersey corn. Now if they would just stop bulldozing the south jersey and Lancaster farms for mcmansions.

Corn has been quite good here in Fla. I often like to toast mine a little before cooking. I toast to get some color and then slice off the cob, scraping the cob with the back of the knife, to get the good stuff left behind and finish in a pan

1 Like

Uni, you and I are “corn cousins”. When I see the shucker-shoppers, I always give them my unsolicited advice about nuking in the husk.

But FWIW, listening to ATK Radio the other day, the “cooler method” was recommended for doing a lot of corn for summer gatherings, so I’ll pass it along. The idea is to put your dozens of shucked ears into a large cooler, cover with boiling water, and put the lid on. Leave it for at least a half hour, then pull the plug on the bung-hole to drain out the water. The corn will stay hot for hours.

2 Likes

I do Cooler Corn every year for an annual beach party my friends throw. I buy a bushel of 48 at my local farm, put a few aside for my future needs :wink: and then pour the hot water over the rest . The party is an hour away and as soon as I get there everyone dives in. It’s the greatest and people go nuts for it, they don’t even care about butter or seasonings at all. I don’t bother draining the water until we’re leaving hours later, but somehow it never gets soggy.

you should be able to tell by feel, not peel. So the ones you have peeled and determined aren’t to your liking, do you throw them back on the pile?

1 Like

most of the ones I pick up have already been peeled.

but if not, and if I don’t like what I see, I fold the leaves back over the kernels so the stunted little ear doesn’t dry out before someone else takes pity on it. And I peel only an inch or so – enough to see if the kernels are well-formed and plump at the end, and no more.

Well, Sunshine we are going to have to agree to disagree on proper corn shopping etiquette.

My method of picking ears is to pick up an ear and feel the weight and look at the husk. I want the husk to look fresh, intact and not dried out and the ear should be heavy. I don’t peel back the husk and will pick from the three bins and take my chances as to what’s white, yellow or mixed. They are all good

This method has served me well

4 Likes

Where I live it wouldnt make a lick if difference. They’ve mostly all been opened.

I grew uip in the cornfields of Indiana…it was expected that you’d want ro see what you were buying. It’s not rude at all according to how I was taught.

2 Likes

See above

I was at my local (central Florida) Publix Supermarket last week, and there were 2 guys (customers) in the produce department just shucking away at seemingly dozens of ears, making a complete mess, as if they were kicking back on their own back porch getting ready for the picnic. They took “peel and look” to a higher level and had husks and silk literally in piles as the rest of us tried to do normal shopping. Never saw anything like it. By the way, the corn on the cob I eventually bought from Publix was terrific! So, my story has a happy ending.

1 Like

My Publix keeps a trashcan next to the corn display, and im amazed at how many people husk corn at the store. I was taught to not husk it till you’re getting ready to cook it…

2 Likes

They are not interested in the best method of storage. They just want to make the mess somewhere other than their house. I bet their sales went up when they put trash cans next the corn

I think it was self preservation on the part of the staff…at least lower the amount of mess to clean up!

While I am wating for the wonderful local NJ Silver Queen to hit the stands the corn this summer has been fantastic so fat. No idea where its coming from but the conventional supermarket stuff has been plentiful, cheap, and good enough to eat straight.

2 Likes

Wilson Farm in Lexington had Connecticut corn today. It didn’t fit into my dinner plans so I didn’t try any.

I’m kind of in that camp. If I’m going to be using the corn within a couple of hours, I’d just as soon husk it at the produce market, where there are husking tables with built-in composting cans for that very purpose.

I shuck my corn in the sink. easiest cleanup.