Corn

Corn is my husband’s vegetable and this year the farmers’ markets are chock full of delicious corn. So far in the last couple of weeks I’ve made:

What are your favorite recipes starring corn?

7 Likes

Corn milk

2 Likes

I saute sweetcorn that I cut off of the cobs raw, in a lot of butter with finely diced celery, onions and red bell pepper, a little bit chopped fresh garlic salt and black pepper. I finish it off with a touch of bourbon and some heavy cream.

Haven’t tried this one yet, but saved it from Food and Wine today https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-coconut-chicken-stew-corn

3 Likes

Since it’s half past three and I can’t turn off my brain I just remembered another summer recipe I got from Gone Appetite in 2006 or so…cook a bag of dried cheese tortellini from Barilla. Saute fresh corn off of the cob in lots of butter with halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, a package of prosciutto finely sliced. Toss with the pasta and a lot of chopped fresh basil. It’s like summer in your mouth…

3 Likes

Sweet corn ice cream. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014934-sweet-corn-ice-cream-with-blackberry-verbena-sauce?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=1

I just made a sauce with frozen mixed berries, a lil aged balsamic, and a dash of sugar. Amazing combo.

2 Likes

I made this baked corn recipe about 2 weeks ago. I modified it by adding 1/2 pound of cooked ground beef (to the mix) and topped it with a butter and saltine crust. It was quite YUMMY!!

3 Likes

I like it sautéed with chopped onion and red bell pepper, seasoned with some herbs, and maybe add some goat cheese or feta into the mix at the end.

And I always buy upwards of 3 dozen ears of local corn, cut it off the cob for freezing, and make Corn Stock from the cobs. I put about 10-12 cobs into my largest stockpot, half a large onion and cover with water. Simmer for couple of hours and then strain. Freeze it, and use the corn stock and the frozen corn for my roasted red pepper, corn and chicken chowder.

6 Likes

I’d never have thought to make sweet corn ice cream. This despite that there’s some kind of rule about someone having made ice cream with just about anything.

I guess I’m boring. I either have grilled or simmered on the cob, or cut kernels off for mixed salads or to put on “make your own” taco night. Oh, also sometimes add the fresh kernels in jalapeno cornbread.

But you guys are getting me thinking of expanding the corn repertoire.

I made these corn fritters from ATK a few weeks ago. Doubt I’d go through all that again for a simple corn fritter, but they sure were good.

1 Like

How did you like the corn & farro? The reviews for it were very favorable and I love puréed corn from the vitamix so I made it. Not well received by my husband - he thought it would be better with only the corn :grin:and I def did not care for it. But obviously I’m in the minority.

2 Likes

My husband and I both thought the corn and farro was delicious.

What did your husband not like about it?

1 Like

My absolute favorite corn dish is a sort of fresh corn polenta, but indian. Lightly seasoned, so the corn is the main flavor. Simple tempering of cumin and curry leaves, seasoned with a bit of fresh grated ginger and fresh green chilli, and when it’s almost done, finished with milk and cooked through to the texture of choice. Salt and sugar to taste. Cilantro at the end if you want.

Another favorite is corn in a thin, lightly spiced gravy — tempering of cumin seeds and curry leaves, add corn cobs cut up into a few pieces each (or kernels), add powdered spices (turmeric, powdered cumin and coriander, chilli powder), chopped or pureed tomato, and water, cover and simmer till everything melds and the corn is tender. Salt and sugar to taste, garnish with cilantro.

And then there’s chinese sweet corn soup — I like it with chicken or crab.

2 Likes

Corn ice cream is divine.

I wish more stores and scoop shops carried it.

1 Like

A cheating version of street corn. Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, and Sriracha, slather the mixture on ears of corn, and grill until slightly charred.

3 Likes

This one is good:

Corn season is too short.

3 Likes

Here’s another favorite corn recipe in our household. My husband likes it so much that he doesn’t share the leftovers, even with me.

For the record, I find the name of the blog to be cringe inducing, but I’ve had great success with their recipes.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you. This recipe looks delicious.

1 Like

I hope you like it - we do!

1 Like

Our favorite barbecue in Austin (now Buda) is Valentina’s. To us their street corn salad is as big a draw as the barbecue.

1 Like