Corn

Love esquites and elote both.

Corn season in India brings also street carts piled with ears and a small stove — fresh grilled corn, rubbed with a wedge of lime dipped in red chilli powder and salt is an indelible flavor memory. Yum. (I make it stovetop when the pile of summer corn finally arrives.)

On a different note, if you like corn pudding or souffle, you might like corn sformato too.

2 Likes

This is good.

This was really good.

3 Likes

cut about 1" off at the stalk end of corn on cob X4, microwave for 1.5-2 minutes or so, husks and silk slide off…put in mouth…salt and butter…nothing much to do with good summer corn!

2 Likes

If you go to Mexico and get iced cream, there might just be some elote in it. My kids freaked when they saw the kernels in their ice cream.

I LOVE corn casserole.

IMHO you can make this recipe better.

Re: Step 2… Just do the onion in the EVOO with a pinch of kosher salt over medium low heat until caramelized… while roasting the garlic, tomatoes, and chile. Then add everything to the skillet and continue.

1 Like

I’ve made a note to try this - thanks!

Corn is such a phallic food.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

Carry on.

1 Like

His comment “It tasted like adulterated corn”…. I just found it very monotonous . Maybe we just aren’t farro fans.

Why’d ya have a COTC on your chest? Do we really want to know? …

2 Likes

Seconded.

umm-wait-fillion

2 Likes

I guess that depends on how one eats it. :wink:

I like maque choux. Here’s a version: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/maque-choux/

The heavy cream brings it all together.

And here it is with shrimp: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Maque-Choux-and-Shrimp/

1 Like

Just curious, and apologies for the quick thread drift, but how do people eat their corn on the cob?

Horizontally (like a typewriter – remember those? or am I dating myself)?

tenor-107730825

Or vertically (like a Scotch tape dispenser)?

tenor-194632902

Or you just a heathen, and gnaw at it haphazardly?

tenor-263545196

1 Like

100%. There is no other way.

3 Likes

I start at one end and work down to the other. But I eat it plain - no butter or salt. And sometimes I cut it off the cob and eat it that way with TPSTOB.

1 Like

Vertically. >ducks<

It invented the typewriter. Christopher Latham Sholes was a mother sweet corn eater, fan, gourmet

2 Likes