Copper Re-tinning

Of course that will be a lot more stable than a white wine sauce on actual verdigris.

Will it? Quarts of raspberries will be less reactive than a half cup of white wine?

The pH ranges are very close.

Donā€™t you coat the berries in sugar before dumping them in?

Sometimes. Iā€™m not sure that would affect the acidity and pH. In any event, starting with a mix of sugar and fruit can remove water by osmosis, which can result in hard unappetizing fruit.

Fruit confitures had been made in Europe without sugar since at east Plinyā€™s time. Sugarcane made it there via trade with Arabia about 1000 AD, but it wasnā€™t until 1811 that sugar was refined from beets. It took cane refining in the West Indies to bring sugary jams to the masses.

IMO, sugar serves mostly as a preservative.

Can you not remove the verdigris? With Bar-Keeps Friend? A Chore-girl? I am literally ā€œSecond-Hand Roseā€ and have resurrected many copper pans. Iā€™ve never had or condoned residual verdigris.

Additionally, IMHO it is the reaction of the bare copper with foods that is causing the off-flavor you describe rather than verdigris.

Not at all. Preserves cooked in bare copper taste perfect. I canā€™t believe I missed the cherry harvest this last season.

I also add lemon juice to fruit going into an unlined copper pan. No off taste whatsoever.

The culprit is probably just a pan that isnā€™t entirely clean. Tin-lined copper pans I wash with regular dishwashing soap, using the soft side of a scrubbie.

1 Like

Do you guys know of this establishment?

I do not, but itā€™s always nice to add another option for tinning.

Itā€™s not easy to tellā€¦ Does he make any pans or is it strictly retin/rehab?

Iā€™m not sure.
I think my algorithm was reading this thread along with me.
:slight_smile:
Came up in my suggestions.

1 Like

If the cost of retinning cookware on a regular basis is more than rounding error in your personal budget then please donā€™t buy it in the first place.

Occasionally all thatā€™s needed is to heat it up and move it around to cover a bare spot, or one thatā€™s becoming bare. Most retinners in the U.S. are hamfisted hacks and put it on twice as thick as it should be. Theyā€™ve simply never seen it done well and properly. I brought a piece from the U.S. to France and showed it to a retinner there and she laughed and said that it wouldnā€™t need any actual new tin for the next 300 years (hyperbole alert). She was thinking about robbing some out of it and retinning a smaller pot. Yep, it was that bad. And this was a well-known tinnerā€™s work.

A job well done where tin cookware is used regularly is one that needs retinning regularly, not once in a lifetime of cooking. You need (and should want) the bare minimum to make the cookware safe to use. Itā€™s an ā€œif you have to ask, you canā€™t affordā€ type of thing.

1 Like

Itā€™s fallacious to assert copper cookware needs regular retinning, or that tin linings should be as thin as possible. In fact, gossamer-thin linings pretty much guarantee a need for regular retinnings because they donā€™t last as long.

ā€œThickā€ linings arenā€™t disadvantageous in any meaningful thermal sense. And letā€™s be clear, a ā€œthickā€ lining is thin, e.g., 1/10 or 1/5 of a millimeter.

It would be more accurate to say that, IF youā€™re going to regularly retin, then thereā€™s no reason to use more than the minimum amount of tin. If weā€™re thinking of French restaurants in the Golden Age, that makes some sense, because visting tinners were often on contract. At Fenand Pointā€™s La Pyramide, the tinner visited every fortnight.

Itā€™s also underappreciated that retinning was done not just to cover worn patches, but to clean and assure a consistently bright appearance.

IMO, if there is an aspect of ā€œthinner is betterā€ tin snobbery, itā€™s vestigal of the time when retinning was cheap and instantly accessible.

As for one tinner robbing anotherā€™s tin, well, thatā€™s ridiculous. Tin is cheap, and you would always want to start with fresh. Even if tin was the price of silver, very little is used.

I got my first piece of really good copper about half a century ago. I had been eyeing it at Yankee kitchen in Bellevue, WA, and one day it was gone. I dropped in a couple of weeks later. The person who bought it had melted the tin, and there was a thicker bit of bubbled tin in the rim on a bit of the pan floor. So I got it for half price. It is a lovely hand hammered 3mm iron handled 24 cm sautĆ© that gets a ton of use. It has never, so far, needed retinning, and I notice no difference in how the thicker portion performs in comparison to the rest. I am not saying that this establishes anything vis a vis Kaleoā€™s and Charlieā€™s POV. It is just one of my little tinning stories. About fifteen years ago I used a guy named Jamie. He did a gorgeous job on two workhorse saucepans but took over half a year to get them back to me (with their job numbers scratched into the copper by the handleā€¦kind of quaint). His job has not held up as well, and the pots are getting near needing retinning. Iā€™ll use RMT.

IMO, this experience is less the exception than the rule.

I think there is also something to the idea that the OEM tinningā€“if done right and wellā€“will probably adhere better and hold up longer, use-for-use. To approximate that first tinning, a retinning would have to completely return the substrate to a perfectly clean, bare condition, i.e., not wipe new tin/flux over old.

Yes verdigris can be scrubbed out but in my experience behind it are large defects in tin exposing bare copper. This is probably because the verdigris occurs at bare copper sites, not at sites covered in tin.

Also, the verdigris can be covered by a thin layer of dark greasy grime that covers the entire tin lining. I have received tinned pans with a dark interior, washed with soap and water and used them. Sometimes the food tastes off, and going back to the pan Iā€™ve realized there was verdigris masked by the darkened linkng making it hard to see. Scribing it clean with abrasives revealed it as well as the defect in the tin.

I too have resurrected many old copper pans. If you show me yours Iā€™ll show you mine.

At the moment I am mostly persuaded bare copper doesnā€™t impart much flavor to pH=7 foods.

1 Like