Coozies--Who Uses Them and What?

Over time, I’ve become increasingly aware of my beer, wine and cocktail service temperature, but especially beer and 2x especially summer-style beers in summer.

So I’ve resorted using “coozies”, the insulated sleeves slid over the container. They’re made for cans, bottles and even pint glasses. Most that I’ve had/seen are made of “wetsuit” neoprene, but some are foam rubber.

Who else uses these things? Has anyone explored coozies enough to opine as to best-in-class or salient differences?

Thanks!

PS: I’m also now more open to dropping an icecube into even good wines to keep the temps down.

I live in Florida.

Our usual solution is to put bevvies in a Tervis tumbler or (better) a double-walled stainless tumbler.

If not that, we go diving into the storage cupboard where the coozies breed (hand to heart I dont know where else they would come from) and pull one out emblazoned with an ad for some local business or watering hole. The neoprene ones are better than the old closed cell foam ones because the neoprene ones take up less storage space.

Wine is chilled with those plastic ice bombs that dont water it down.

1 Like

My Vitamix came with two 20oz containers that are dual walled, vacuum insulated, and have become my go to for keeping drinks cold on the go… plus they have air tight lids with a very nice sipping spout.

Even if you don’t own a VM, you can order one. They’re not cheap, but keep drinks cold, don’t sweat, are completely leak-proof (o-ring seals on both lid and spout cover), and incredibly well made.

1 Like

For standard 12oz cans I use this Thermos cozy which is metal rather than neoprene:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Steel-Beverage-Insulator/dp/B0000644AF/

The insulation is quite effective, there is apparently a vacuum between the walls.

2 Likes

These are my go-to wine glasses in the summer: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Wine-Glass-14-oz/633375910

Best of all, they are exactly the right size to slip a 12 oz can into as well. Perfect for those who don’t like to flatten their beer or seltzer by pouring it out of the can (e.g., me).

2 Likes

But if they had an airtight seal on the top, the carbonization would be preserved, as well as insulating heat from the top of the container.

I use this when necessary.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 11.42.10 AM

Buy it here.

Good suggestions all. I should have been a little clearer writing.

My OP was mostly aimed at drinking out. I keep a couple neoprene coozies in my car’s center console for warmer/sunnier weather, because I don’t want my served beer to warm (much) before I finish it. In A/C spaces, it’s not an issue for me, but truly warm beer just isn’t enjoyable to me.

Those who have coozies, do you take them into places?

Don’t Drink and Drive.

You mean don’t drive over the legal limit, yes?

Here we go…

Believe it or not, we take our Tervis and stainless tumblers in with us (casual only, natch) in a cloth bag

Not only does no one care, the server usually comments that its a good idea.

No, there you went.

1 Like

Great. That’s why I asked.

No one’s looked askance at us, either. The only downside so far appears to be that a server can’t tell an empty glass.

1 Like

Have you ever asked to have your tumbler filled from a tap? Most micro brewery’s fill growlers, I can’t see why they would not fill a tumbler. I guess that would be a hard ask at a busy bar or restaurant.

You have a way with understatement.

1 Like

They all cite health reasons (and lets be honest. Do you really want your personal drinking vessel making a trip behind the bar without you?)

2 Likes

In Texas the cheap rubber coozies are ubiquitous as gimme caps. I prefer to drink my beer before it gets warm, eat chips awhile, and order another beer when the food arrives. As for bringing my own coozie, nah, but I might bring my own hot sauce to certain places. As for wine, unless I am in a pretty snazzy place, I rarely order wine. Restaurant markups are hard to overcome, reds and whites are both often too warm. Room temp is ok for Port or Sherry, but I rarely have either in a restaurant. I am not plunking an ice cube in really good wine, but most really good restaurant wine is out of my league. I’ll take an Archery Summit or a Patricia Green PN out at fifty-five at home, open it, let it breathe half an hour, and it’s perfect.

2 Likes

Yep. I’m up for: pour me a glass from the box. I was shocked once when a resto actually served me my glass of house white wine (told you I was a big spender) in a chilled glass. And actually, I chill my sherry. The best wine cellars I know are at friends’ houses. And at mine, although my cellar isn’t exactly highbrow. I kind of know about temps and breathing.

1 Like

I love cold Fino, but Amontillado I can handle at room temperature while I devour handfuls of Smokehouse Almonds or really good olives.