Cool Soups of Summer

This looks fantastic. How did you prepare the strawberries? I read these 2 recipes, they have difference preparation for the fruits.

http://calmfulliving.com/project/strawberry-gazpacho-chef-david-kinch

This Korean soup looks good. Several recipes of cucumber soups I have tried was either a bit heavy or a bit bland.

1 Like

The second one (marinating the strawberries, not cooking them). BTW, it calls for a lot of tarragon and the flavor is quite prominent (it’s not everyone’s favorite flavor). I do serve it in glasses, but I’ve never bothered with the garnish.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, I will see with the quantity of tarragon. Tomorrow I will be going to a farm to harvest some vegetables and fruits, will get some strawberries to make this soup!

I made your squash soup yesterday and served it to ourselves and our guests today. It was a hit. In addition to the smoked paprika, I put a spoonful of sour cream on top. Every one loved it.

2 Likes

That’s great! Sour cream makes everything better.

I’m not much of a soup person, and def even less so when it’s hot out. What can I say, I like chewing and biting :smiley:

Having said that, I’ve also made the ajo blanco soup @Ttrockwood posted earlier (I think, it’s been a while) before as a summer appetizer, and it was really delicious. It’s pretty filling, so I could also see having this as a main course.

I like chilled avocado buttermilk soup with poached shrimp or sautéed scallops on top.

Finally made it - strawberry gaspacho. I agree that you need a really good vinegar.

Thanks again for the recipe!

2 Likes

That looks really tasty!

1 Like

Actually it works better as amuse bouche than appetizer if the taste is more concentrated (more acidity with Balsamic vinegar) .

1 Like

I would enjoy it for breakfast when the temp is 90 degrees by 8am! Buying strawberries worthy of the effort…

You inspired me to try ajo blanco again. I made it once years ago and then completely forgot about it. I have recipes for it in two books by Claudia Roden, so of course I found a different recipe on the internet from The Guardian. The Guardian’s recipe includes cucumber, which seemed like a good idea. The soup was a hit.

1 Like

Oh fabulous! It seems to be one of those less definitive recipes, everyone makes it slightly different. Cucumbers are something I literally crave all summer!

1 Like

Cherry gazpacho with sour cream.

Cherokee tomatoes, cherries, cucumber, red jalapeño, bread, olive oil and red vinegar.

This is a soup version of the salad I made earlier this week. I needed to use up what was left, so I made this. It was a bit spicier than I expected, but mellowed overnight. It was very good.

3 Likes

That looks great, but once I get cherries into my hands, they never go anywhere but in the mouth.

2 Likes

We are having cucumber soup tonight with grilled chicken and I plan to crush some chickpea chips over the soup to use up the complimentary snack bag for crunch.

2 Likes

Wow! Yum.

I’ve made this before, but the red jalapeño made it a whole new experience. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Chilled beetroot soup

Chilled asparagus puree in cream with potatoes

Asparagus puree and kefir

Cucumber puree and yogurt

Still like tomatoes. This one has ground almond added to give it more body.

2 Likes