Cookware: Photos of Our Unique Cookware

He cuts them to make vases. Here’s mine, a local CT-made vodka, Rime. Hope you don’t mind my sharing, B.

1 Like

Just need to know when to put down the chainsaw!

The vase is very cool. Thx for sharing.

1 Like

to get a stable slice such as depicted you’ll need to find a big tree that has died on the roots about 8-10 years ago and has naturally dried without cracking/splitting on the trunk.

anything sliced in any remote condition of “fresh” will crack. if you quarter it, you’ll still need to let it dry for multiple years before re-sawing and reassembly.

I had them drying for, I guess close to a year in a container filled with sawdust, no cracks. The tree was down for about a year as well before I sliced into it. I have read on some forums of folks painting the edges to promote even release of moisture, or the sawdust/bucket technique. The quarters seem pretty stable right now, almost like dimensional lumber. We’ll see how they behave once biscuited (HA) back together

(a year) - aahhhh, that’s el zippo in terms of stability.

I wish you good luck, but my own experience sez Momma Nature is the only perfect source - and most time she really doesn’t care.

finding a large caliper unsplit trunk is a real good reason to do a happy dance.

it’s the ‘died on the root’ bit methinks is most important. takes years and years and years for a large tree to succumb to (whatever) - that makes for a long long long slow dry.

Not sure how “unique” exactly but i am ecxited. Here is my new 10.5" windsor fresh from retinning. I need to christen it with somehing special have a local Toma and dried porcini risotto planned hit RTM and DiBruno today

1 Like

Is that copper? It’s so shiny!

It wont be that shiny ever again I promise😃 it came back from the tinning really bright.

No, it’s gorgeous. Always admired copper pans, but lack enthusiasm for keeping them as nice as that. I have enough to keep in order without going overboard. :slight_smile:

I just took the leap and had to accept they are tools and i am not someone who will keep em super shiny. This one needed tinning when i bought it so was pretty cheap to acquire relatively speaking tinning was expensive. Its too pretty i need to use it and make it mine.:wink:

1 Like

Did you retinned both inside and out? (the exterior also looks sliver-ish).

No its copper just shiny and reflecting lights in photo

I really like the flush rivets on that pan!

1 Like

Thanks yes I love the rivets I have a few pans detailed like that i asumme they are older? I believe this pan is Belgian.

Chem, it may be just the photo but that cutting board looks like Bois d’Arc (also known as Osage Orange) to me. That’s a very tough wood which has considerable resistance to cracking while drying.

I found this yesterday. I’ve been looking for a chicken fryer but haven’t bought one because cleaning oil off of SS after frying bites. This should be perfect.

Cute! You put a lid on Bolognese???

Hey, kattyeyes!

That was me. My moose from Finland (brought back by my mother on one of her trips to see family.) Mine is still in service, and I actually have a cow too!

LOVE your moose - your friend did a wonderful job making it!

2 Likes

Hi, John:

This is a really nice job. Who did the work?

And it is a truly beautiful pan. Don’t you wonder about all who owned her before you, or those whose tables she will feed after you are dust? Who dented her rim in a fit of pique decades ago? Tools? Yes, but tools for the ages.

As I write this, I have a similar pan by J. Gaillard reducing an integral sauce from a veal-leek-bean dish, later to be added back to the beans and the joint. It tumbles lazily along, perfuming my house. Would it taste the same from a current-production pan? Not to me…

Aloha,
Kaleo