Cookware: Photos of Our Unique Cookware

Let’s start sharing a photo of an unique cookware. It can be anything you consider to be cookware. Let’s try to share only one photo (at least initially). This way, we may better focus our conversations.

(Edited: It does not have to be an unique looking cookware. It can be a common cookware with an unique story behind it – just trying for us to chat around our cookware a little)

This chopping block is one of my more unique cookware.

As stated, this is a wood chopping block. You can tell it is a single piece as well with the wood fibers perpendicular to the cutting surface. In fact, it is a section of a tree trunk.

I bought it 6 years ago. It is 14 inch in diameter, 4.5 inch deep (thick), and 14 pounds in weight. I have been using it almost for every meal preparation for the last 6 years.

What about yours?

3 Likes

This is gorgeous! And weighs as much as my cat! I’m not sure I have anything quite as unique as that, but I’ll be back with a snap when I figure it out. :smile_cat:

Can’t wait. Thanks for sharing – in advance. Maybe the cookware itself does not have to be super unique, but maybe a cookware with an interesting history behind.

In short, I am just trying to start a thread where each of us say a little bit about once piece of our cookware.

This is my pot moose. You may remember him from about four years ago when someone shared a wooden lid-holding moose on the other playground and I desperately wanted to find my own.

Someone special handmade this pot moose for me. I use Mr. Moose whenever I use my Dutch oven and need to vent the lid. He’s especially helpful when I make Bolognese.

4 Likes

:grin: Yes, I do remember him. He is a handsome one. Funny thing is that I don’t remember how he works. Good thing that you put a few more photos below. I was just about to ask how he works – and then I scrolled down and saw more photos.

Does his horn/antelope get in the way? Would it have been better if it has a smaller horn?

1 Like

No, he’s perfect–he sits right on the side of the Dutch oven and his back supports the lid. His antlers have plenty of clearance so he doesn’t get too claustrophobic hanging in there for me! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi CK,

This is my first post at this new site. Hope it takes off and flies!

Not unique, but maybe kind of unusual (especially for folks in the US)…

Glestain knives. These three are my favorites – top: gyuto, middle: santoku, bottom: petty.

TS

4 Likes

I’ve never seen knives like that. They’re stunning! Welcome to the new playground! :smile_cat:

Thanks kattyeyes. The big dimples are really effective at keeping whatever you’re slicing from sticking to the blade, which is great for sticky things like potatoes. BTW, the other side of the blade is perfectly smooth, so lefties need to order special left-handed versions. TS

1 Like

Wow. What do you think of the Glestain knives? They are kind of on my list of “potential future buys”

Actually, I would say Glestain and Sakai Yuseki are the only two on my future list.

Tanuki is right. This is a nice demonstration of the a Glestain knife:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this interesting video, CK. It closely reflects my experience with Glestain knives. I have to confess that I always wondered whether the reason I like the unique Glestain blade design is that my knife skills aren’t up to snuff, so it’s nice to see that even an experienced knife user also appreciates the non-stick feature.

The video really makes its point (I didn’t mean to do that, but now that I did, I’m chuckling) nicely. Yeah, thanks a lot, you, two. Just when I thought I was all set with knives, now I’d really love one of these. Is that the correct pronunciation, by the way–GLEEstain? Look forward to learning more.

ETA: Did you buy here?
http://korin.com/Knives/Glestain_2

1 Like

Tanuki lives in Japan (right?), so he probably bought it there instead of Korin. As for me, if I am to buy it, I may buy it from JapaneseChefknives.com.

I feel they have a larger selection, but Korin is a great site too.

Yeah, I have a few sharp knives. In fact, they may be sharper than Glestain. The problem is that I can only cut so fast when the foods stick to the blade. It is all about reducing the “bottleneck”. So that is why I am thinking about getting a Glestain. Sakai Yusuke on the other hand will like to be thinner and sharper. So, you can see why I am debating between the two. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi again, CK. I like Glestain for a couple of reasons.

The main reason is (of course) the unique blade design. IME, nothing comes close in terms of easy food release.

I also like the metal handles. There is no chance of wooden side plates shrinking, cracking, or becoming loose. The metal handles are also completely seamless, so you don’t have to worry about gunk getting into little gaps. You can’t see it in the picture, but the upper and lower surfaces of the handle on the petty actually have a slightly roughened satin finish to make them non-slip, kind of like surgical instruments. The gyuto is from Glestain’s Pro line, so has wooden side plates and a steel butt plate, but I really do prefer the (less expensive) metal handle line.

Finally, I really like the “Acuto” stainless steel that Glestain uses, which is hard enough to hold a razor sharp edge, but not so hard that it is difficult to sharpen or feels brittle or “chippy” on the cutting board. (By “chippy” I mean that irritating sensation that the edge is micro-chipping during use – sorry I can’t think of a better word for it.)

If you do decide to pick up a Glestain at some point, I’d really be interested in hearing your impressions.

TS

1 Like

According to the Japanese katakana, Glestain is pronounced goo-leh-soo-ten. (And BTW, Chemicalkinetics is correct, I do live in Japan.)

1 Like

I have a Glestain gyuto and petty that I bought years ago from Korin. I always reach for one of them when I have something sticky to slice, like potatoes. The gyuto is heavy, about 330 grams, so you feel it if you are using if for a long kitchen session. It keeps its edge for quite a long time. Highly recommended.

This Sarpaneva cast iron pot was a thank-you present from Finnish friends. Not only looks beautiful but great heat retention and distribution.

4 Likes

Oh my god. I remember these. They were on a lot of internet sites just 2 years ago. How do you like it? The price is not cheap. I think $200-300 for one.

I really like it. It keeps a constant temp really well and is great for low simmers. Also good for starting stews or braises on the hob and then transferring to the oven. The wooden handle is also very practical for lifting the lid and makes it easier to check on the food without having to take it completely out of the oven. It’s my favourite pot.