Cooking for family is a freaking nightmare.

After the two temperature record breaking days that prompted the thread, the UK is now back to a more traditional summer. Yep, it’s been raining and, yesterday, I needed a jacket when I went out. Feels more like early autumn thna summer.

9 Likes

I’m glad the weather turned around for your area, Harters. I read that in certain parts of the UK, sand was put down on road to keep them from overheating and creating pot holes or worse. Here in Boston US where I live, sand is put down to keep roads from freezing and reduce slippery conditions. Weather is changing everywhere on planet earth. Food supply was disrupted with the pandemic. More to come with weather changes.

1 Like

This, IMO, is the determining factor, and it leads directly to an answer: Serve whatever you like.

I’ve dealt with this Rubik’s Cube menu dilemma before. I’ve decided that as long as there’s one thing on the menu that every given guest can consume and enjoy, don’t worry about it. IME this happens mostly with spoiled kids, but maybe that’s also what we’re dealing with here?

6 Likes

:joy: I’d serve ‘em cotton candy.

2 Likes

I guess that depends on whether one is hosting to please oneself or whether the intention is to ensure all are comfortable and enjoying themselves. Although the constraints listed are a PITA, there have been suggestions made that would provide an enjoyable evening for all 7 attendees and not just the hosts. And if the query has been made, I assume @Harters wants to ensure a pleasant meal for all.

11 Likes

I get the sense from Harter’s previous posts about family dinners that these are not, so-much-fun occasions for him and are usually avoided. As I’ve aged and struggled with my health, I don’t have the stamina or focus for the drama. Just put out a spread with non-offensive options, try not to poison anyone and let them have at it.

7 Likes

Cooking and hosting is definitely not as fun or rewarding as it used to be, IMO, anyway. I like to think of it as a challenge, but it can still be fraught. DD1, may or may not be eating x,y, or z at any given time, and I can’t even remember what her bf will and won’t eat. It’s not as simple as him being vegetarian or vegan, he’s dairy free, but eats pork, but no beef or chicken! It’s ok, we can deal, but honestly I think putting out an assortment of different foods is reasonable, and they can pick and choose. In the case of allergies, or celiac, I’ll totally avoid offending items. Having a little bbq dinner here on Sunday, but the DD1 and bf will be boating. Dang! :scream_cat::rofl::joy_cat::joy:

5 Likes

BINGO

That’s the first thing I thought of … let each bring a favorite dish to share.

What a headache trying to please everyone!

3 Likes

Welcome to Thanksgiving at my house, where I am feeding one person who can’t eat shellfish, one person who eats fish but not meat, one person who can’t eat anything spicy, and one person who can’t eat any cruciferous vegetables, anything in the onion/garlic/leek family, any peppers, and on and on. I live in New Orleans, where shellfish, onions, pork, and cayenne are staple foods (frequently all found in the same dish, in fact). And no matter where you are, try cooking for Thanksgiving without onions! I’ve been doing this for 22 years now and it’s still a struggle. Basically I make at least three things that each of these people can eat, and otherwise do whatever, because it’s completely impossible to satisfy everyone.

13 Likes

This thread really brings home how entitled we all have become. Very few have life threatening allergies, but rather eating preferences. I have entertained food issues all my life, and have never found a table that didn’t offer me enough options to enjoy a convivial occasion with friends or family. You seriously celiac? You should know by now what kinds of dishes to avoid. Pre-diabetic? Should be a no-brainer. Right now I don’t enjoy big slabs of meat, so I ask for a small cut and it will last throughout dinner. Trying to avoid rich sauces, eat what’s underneath. Don’t eat red meat? I’ve skirted this successfully for years. Eat the other stuff. Potatoes and gravy will get you through the night.
Harters is trying to please each guest, and I’m sure he will. Better that each guest try to please him.

11 Likes

You are a New Orleans Saint.

1 Like

This has disaster written all over it . I’ve been to this show more than once … Choose a place to go out to . And foot the bill for everyone. No brainier . Possibly have dessert and drinks at your house afterwards.

8 Likes

Once when I cooked for a group of diverse diets, I made a meal I was served in France by the family I was staying with: a vegetable ‘mix’ of potato, brussel sprouts, red pepper, fennel root, (flavored with lemon, salt and pepper), saucisson, cheese, bread. I only had to cook one thing, but it was diverse enough so that it could satisfy any of the diets you listed. The vegetables chosen in the mix are up to you. Some people might like mayo with the vegetables, served separately.

4 Likes

It’s not a binary choice. The likelihood of Harters pleasing all these guests is near zero. Serve bread (along with other things), and see who partakes. And with the possible exceptions of celiac sprue and some religious dietary law, these restrictions are mere preferences.

2 Likes

I am with you, gaffk, my main goal would be toward making everyone comfortable. It does not ensure their comfort, but it does ensure that you have listened to their concerns.

Plus, if these are all adults, you can always serve wine and get them hammered. The OP didn’t mention AA.

3 Likes

Only two of us have alcohol issues. I’ve been on the wagon for 23 years. The other family member keeps falling off it.

Mrs H and I are discussing several folks’ ideas. Please keep them coming

11 Likes

We luckily have no food issues-- well other then the “ingredient that ruin a dish” ones. (Green pepper for me). OTOH we do have major family drama issues so there’s that but not for this thread.

I think I’d go with dining out. If has to be at home then a buffet with the “safe” dishes labeled.

2 Likes

When I first saw your post, my immediate thought was “roast chicken along with some roast veg.” Looks like several posters before me had the same idea. I think it’s a great way to feed a few peeps, and Samin Nosrat’s buttermilk chicken is about as easy and flavorful as it gets. Although one roaster may not be enough for seven folks. Potato gratin (since mac n cheese is out for the GF person) is also a very satisfying & filling side.

4 Likes

Your comment brings to mind fun and lively group potlucks I have attended, where everyone labeled the dishes they brought. The idea was that everyone could eat a selection of items, though not everybody could eat everything. Folks enjoyed chatting about the different dishes and how they were prepared.

6 Likes

That pretty much nails what we do when we have potlucks… which is always, unless we’re having fewer than 6 people over (we lazy like that, and our friends are all good cooks :slight_smile: ). We often provide a main and a couple of sides, and others bring sides & desserts or vegetarian/vegan/GF mains.

It’s fun to try everyone’s food & less work for us. Win win :wink:

5 Likes