Cookie Help!

What have I gotten myself into? I went to Williams Sonoma to get a really nice small snowflake cookie cutter for the center of festive Linzer Tarts and ended up buying a whole set of fancy cutters. My adult daughter saw them and has begged me to make a Snowflake Kransekake like the one pictured on the box.

This intimidates me much more than the fancy Buche de Noel I have made in years past. I love to make cookies but have no skills in something of this magnitude, so hoping you can help.

First, does anyone have a good recipe for the cookies? This tree tower requires two cookies of each size, so I will probably make two batches at least. It needs to be a sturdy cookie as well as something that doesn’t spread. I’m thinking of adding some grated lemon rind to give it a nice pop of flavor in case anyone eats it (which I hope they do, don’t want to waste it).

Second, Royal Icing. I’ve looked at online recipes and bought piping equipment and meringue powder. I’m thinking of the method of whipping the meringue powder with a mix of water and fresh (strained) lemon juice then adding the confectioner’s sugar. Is that a good technique or other tips?

Finally, I ordered a rolling pin with guides so the cookies will be the same thickness. What height do you suggest? 1/4, 1/2 inch?? I’ll be making a practice batch to compare heights.

My daughter will be working with me as a team on the decorating. Thank you for any tips you have to avoid our final creation looking like something that belongs on Nailed It!

Cookie1
Cookie2

2 Likes

While that looks spectacular… I’m afraid I can’t offer any help as I have never seen anything like this. Every Kransekake I have seen is made with rings from almond flour and/or marzipan, egg whites, sugar, etc. and is much more cake-like in texture.

1 Like

Yes, traditional K is made that way. So, this is a variation involving cookies. I’m willing to give it a shot though.

1 Like

Go for it… hopefully there are some tips at: https://cookthestory.com/sugar-cookie-recipe/ that will help.

Would love to see a photo of your creation.

Thanks for that link! Looks like a good recipe for what I need to do.

I’ll post a photo of the final result no matter how it turns out.

2 Likes

How about alternating gingerbread cookies with plain or chocolate sugar cookies? A half inch cookie is too thick. I’d think 1/4" to 3/8" thick. This doesn’t look too difficult. Lower the baking temp 25-50 degrees, baking longer, so the tips aren’t brown and crumbly by the time the cookie centers are firmly baked. You will probably need to bake the larger cookies longer than the smaller ones. Don’t skimp on the icing and dragees!

1 Like

Yep… larger ones longer and lower, smaller ones shorter and higher.

Exciting project!

The product page links to their sugar cookie recipe, so I’d imagine you could use your own version, or variations thereof? An easy base recipe would allow for some playing with colors in the dough to alternate cookies or layers, and so on.

Thanks Saregama, I hadn’t noticed that recipe!

here’s a mini one we had a few years back

7 Likes

That’s lovely! Is that a family tradition ?

Yep. There are a million Jul traditions for Danes. This is one. I’ll try to do a post of some as we get closer to the main event. This is this the Super Bowl for my wife and her mom ! @Claus knows what I’m sayin !

3 Likes

I am making the Christmas Kransekake next weekend. Today and tomorrow however, I am doing my practice run.

I have a quick question about Royal Icing (with meringue powder). There are two popular methods of preparation. The first calls for mixing meringue powder and confectioner’s sugar together then adding water/flavorings. The second calls for mixing the meringue powder and water first then adding the confectioner’s sugar. Which way do you think is best?

I am going to make a couple large cookies to get the feel of it, the rest I am making to to include in my cookie gifts tomorrow to friends and neighbors. So I will be using some of the stiffer icing to practice line and point decorating, but the rest will be used for flooding smaller cookies.

I’m also thinking of using some of King Arthur’s lemon powder in both the cookies and icing to give the cookies a lemon tang.

My experience has always been that mixing all the dry ingredients first is better before adding the wet.

I would skip that and just add some fresh lemon zest.

1 Like

Same here… I mix the meringue powder with the powdered sugar first.

Thanks for the tips Scott and Dan, will mix the dry together then add liquid.

So we did our test run today. My daughter did a terrific job piping.

Learned a few things:

The cookie needs more lemon rind. I went that way rather than lemon powder but didn’t add enough.
1/4 inch is the right height for the cookies.
I made the icing as per your recommendations, worked fine.
Royal icing takes FOREVER to harden.

CookieOne

Cookie Detail:

CookieDetail

9 Likes

Thanks for the progress report! Very pretty!

Final results: Snowflake Kransekake! It was a family affair, with me baking the cookies and prepping the icing. Daughter did all the piping. (I put the red dots on.) My husband and his mechanical mind put the layers together.

Tower1

Tower2

KatieTower

16 Likes

Lovely!

What cookie recipe did you use?