Cookbook of the Month - Sept 2022 Voting

I haven’t watched many of Nigella’s shows, to tell the truth. I have BritBox, so I currently have access to Nigellissima, and I thought it was OK. For whatever reason, I’m not as annoyed by her as some people are, but don’t get me started on Rachel Ray. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This banana peel curry in ‘Cook, Eat, Repeat’ is totally gratuitous. I’ve read the comments on NYT. I’m not even tempted.

I’ll have been wrong in my assessment then. Thanks for the info. From the recipe names listed by RainyRamone, I can see several in American English so obviously sufficiently popular to produce a different edition. Must have been a slip by her editor, letting the “forced rhubarb” through to an audience which presumably may not be able to get it. Better to have just written “rhubarb” although outdoor rhubarb is coarser and not as sweet as the forced variety.

2 Likes

Me, too. I turn on the oven, fix myself a cocktail, stick the dish in the oven, then run out of the kitchen with my drink.

Correct; the rhubarb we buy at the supermarket, here in the States, is probably forced, and we simply refer to it as ‘rhubarb’. Living in California, there are a few types I can grow in my home garden. I used to be good about forcing the stems, but I usually just let it go. And I agree, the shorter, unforced stems are perfectly usable, but less tender.

For either book, there are likely a good number of recipes available online — search by exact recipe name is usually a good bet.

Yes, all Nigella’s books have been published with US editions, going back to How to Eat. A few years ago, when At My Table came out here and she did an American book tour, I went to a signing event at a local cookbook store to get a copy for a friend, and the place was packed to capacity. I’d say she has a pretty solid presence here.

3 Likes

I’ve been really off my cooking game recently, but I Dream of Dinner seems like the kind of book that would be fun to cook out of, so I’ve put it on hold at my library.

3 Likes

Can someone who has a copy of I Dream Of Dinner tell me if the Caramelized Black Pepper Trout is essentially Vietnamese Caramel Fish — and if it’s described as such?

As I’m going through the EYB recipe index, I to see a lot of “punchy” international ingredients applied, so I’m just a bit curious as to whether there’s cultural attribution.

The author has nearly non-existent headnotes for the recipes, so there is no description. The recipe is quite a bit like Vietnamese fish in caramel sauce except that it contains vinegar, and it does not contain fish sauce. So similar, but not identical. There is note following the recipe that reads as follows:

More caramel: Like nuóc màu, agrodolce, or gastrique, this sauce simmers sugar with salt (or soy sauce) and acid (vinegar) long enough to turn syrupy like caramel. Swap the elements in a number of ways.
Winter squash + brown sugar + apple cider vinegar
Bratwurst + honey + mustard + chicken stock
Chicken thighs + maple syrup + rice vinegar + turmeric

3 Likes

I don’t profess love for anchovies on their own, but (thankfully) I ate and loved bagna cauda before I knew what it was!

This was oddly appealing to me as well.

I’m also going through the recipe list of I Dream Of Dinner on the Amazon preview – was too hard to parse on EYB.

1 Like

Made my first recipe from the Slagle book last night. It’s the corn & feta salad with steak. Very delicious and easy. Here’s a bad photo.

There’s something about the recipes in this book—people who come over keep picking it up and saying it looks appealing. I wonder if it has to do with how concise the recipes are.

Tonight I’m making the oven quesadillas.

7 Likes

Tonight I made the oven quesadillas from I DREAM OF DINNER. Interesting technique where you heat a sheet pan in a 450 oven, then add neutral oil to it. You put tortillas on the pan, top each with a mixture of cheddar/black beans/oregano/s & p, top with another tortilla, lightly oil the top, then back into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for a few min. They were crunchy, puffy, and very fast and easy! I used rotisserie chicken in place of the black beans because I had it and wanted to use it up. I think it would also be good with refried beans or nearly any other topping. This was one of those dinners that was so fast I had to make sure everything else was made and plated before putting the quesadillas in the oven.

4 Likes

Just a reminder that voting closes tomorrow at 10am EDT. We currently have a tie. If that is the case in the morning, I will cast a vote to break it.

Voting is closed. Your announcement thread is here:

I get why some people find Nigella annoying on the telly, but from personal experience I think she’s probably rather a nice person. She has sent personal messages to my other half on Twitter (notably when his Dad died), although she’s never met him. She also famously appeared in my lockdown significant birthday video which Mr gg made for me!

6 Likes

She’s absolutely wonderful and warm on Twitter. Very helpful and encouraging.

2 Likes

Everything i have ever baked from her recipes always turned out great.

2 Likes

I found her quite gracious and personable on the Nigella Lawson guest chef cooking thread we had on CH.

2 Likes

The reporting thread is available here:

1 Like