Cook once, eat twice (or thrice!)

Adding fried rice to the list. Holds up so well and easy to refresh, I always make extra.

8 Likes

Today I made 6 quarts of beef and pork chili with black beans:

Chili Mac
Chili Dogs
Frito Pie

Do you have any favorite dishes which call for chili as part of the recipe? Iā€™m all earsā€¦

8 Likes

We just had chili mac for supper! Itā€™s a great way to stretch chili - shredded cheddar on top. Thatā€™s the only other way we eat it . When we serve it straight up we top our bowls with shredded cheddar, sour cream, scallions, sometimes diced avocado and have taco chips for scooping (DH makes a pretty thick chili). If I make it, mine is soupier so we donā€™t add any condiments and weā€™re more likely to have cornbread with it, or crushed saltines!

5 Likes

Chili size.

7 Likes

Cool. Iā€™d always wondered where the name ā€œChili Sizeā€ came from.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my buddy Ed! Longtime roadfooder.
he moved to Boise to be with his kids and now is a fellow Oregonian along with us! Heā€™s in Tigard these days.
I see him whenever he shoots down I 5 which isnā€™t lately, since pre pandemic.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m making beef stew with short ribs today - itā€™ll be re-eaten, not repurposed. Things I freeze portions of : chili and its first cousin, meat sauce. If I make a turkey or a brisket, I will vacuum freeze packets of slices (I freeze the packets opened first, then vacuum seal, to deal with the liquid/gravy). Otherwise almost everything I cook is two meals with. I like eating dinner for breakfast, so all is good! So is fried rice as a receptacle for meaty leftovers.

8 Likes

I went back and read his ā€œaboutā€, what an interesting life heā€™s had.

2 Likes

I made tamale pie recently and thatā€™s a favorite way for me to use chili.

4 Likes

I cooked up a pound of dry yellow eye beans today. Some of it will get used tonight for the NYT lemony shrimp and bean stew. Some of it will be used for a cod dish later this week. Some of it will be lunches with rice.

6 Likes

Have you been to (rip) Gaffyā€™s (the diner in that LA Beat article)?

The food was bountiful, but as bountiful as the food was it was equally inedible.

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t think I have ever been to San Pedro. Mr. BR used to fish from there when he was a kid, so he might have taken me on a tour but I donā€™t remember. Oh wait, is there, or was there, a elevated road that takes you out over the water to a plot of land with a tiki type restaurant?

I love this idea! Thought of this idea when I shared this here.

I will be looking for inspiration for me to eat this taco filling, which husband can eat several times a week, but which I stopped wanting to eat 100 cooks ago . Literally :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Today Iā€™m repurposing leftover beef pot roast and leftover mushroom and wild rice soup into beef stew with barley, wild rice, and mushrooms. When I told my DH my plan he said, ā€œYouā€™re a real lunch lady.ā€

Iā€™m choosing to take that as a compliment :joy:.

11 Likes

Itā€™s not uncommon for me to make something when my wife is away and eat it over a few days. Doesnā€™t bother me to eat the same thing over a few days until itā€™s gone

5 Likes

Me either.

1 Like

Made a big batch of vegetable soup the other day. Looks like we have again tonight. And as the temperature has dropped into the mid to upper 50s ( donā€™t laugh) a bowl of hot soup sounds just right

3 Likes

My batch cooking last week included a big pan of refried beans.

Hello, Tex Mex:

Quesadilla
Burrito
Taco
Etc.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why spareribs come in racks. Easily two daysā€™ worth of dinners when Mrs. ricepad is away.

1 Like

:laughing:

3 Likes