Control Freak

Hi Chem,

What’s not clear?

This personalization has been going on for many years. I explain my cooking activities clearly, and Kaleo chimes in with “questions” to discredit me personally.

Meekah has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

There is a reason why Meekah told you to answer Kaleo. Meekah does not think you have answered. Like I said, I do not care to understand. I am just telling you that your explanation is not as clear as you think. Getting mad at others does not help.
Be more considerate and be more kind. Do not always attack people and be respectful

Chem,

Meekah didn’t ask me to answer Kaleo–nor should she have. She posted requirements for a catering company–supporting a bogus question.

I never answered Kaleo’s “question”–and I explained why to Meekah.

You’re posting this to me?

Yes I am. Have some self awareness. You have been using negative languages toward people here and other forum. Do you remember calling those Kitchen knife forum people as newbies and novice? I can write pages but I am not.

“I do not operate a commercial catering operation. I carry out not for profit catering…”

Yes, some things are

pretty obvious.

You just used the term catering again. So, either you’re not a caterer, as you have repeatedly characterized your cooking activities, or you are, and are unlicensed.

By the way, The California Retail Food Code does not make your distinctions between “commercial” and “not for profit.”

1 Like

Did you just notice Meekah telling you that your explanation is not clear? Not clear to me too. When multiple people are confused, maybe the problem is not All Other People. Like I said, take a step back.

1 Like

Remember a time when this thread was about the Breville Control Freak?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

See how easy a thread can get personal and argumentative–with no substantial Hungry Onion content whatsoever?

I should just have not responded . .

OK, Ray, please explain. If you’re a caterer, do you cook entire meals from a menu of offerings selected by these groups? A potluck or dish donation isn’t catering, either.

What gear do you use? Rethermalizers? Rolltop buffet/hotel pan chafers? What insulated transport boxes and beverage dispensers do you use? You’ve never mentioned any. Since you’ve also said your induction PICs never move from your kitchen, what do you, as a caterer, cook on? Do you provide your catering collaborators and volunteers with culinary and food safety tools and PPE? What knives do you include in your roll?

1 Like

Well, it never really got off the ground as nobody that actually has a Control Freak has posted yet. I know they’re out there from other threads, but sadly this has digressed before they made their valuable contributions

2 Likes

The poster who asked about switching fom induction to gas has a CF. You can always ask her directly.

Vfish had one, but hasn’t been posting lately. Maybe you could send a pm. All I can contribute is in the price range of the Control Freak I really like the features of the Met-All.

Thanks. I may end up having to reach out to posters, but I know other onions are interested in this too, so was hoping it would work as a thread

Don’t take my previous post as belittling the well-meaning contributions from people that don’t own one. There have absolutely been useful contributions in the thread - just not the hands on experiences I was also hoping for - yet

1 Like

Update: I got one of these as a Christmas present to myself . I’m away for the next month or so, but look forward to playing with it in the new year.

2 Likes

Merry Day of Saint Peter Cansius to to you! I look forward to a full report.

Will do my best - but I’m not sure I can live up to your standards of experimentation.

1 Like

Congrats.

Look forward to hearing your full review of this.

Ah, you’ll do fine.

I have two Control Freaks and a couple dozen induction-compatible pans of various brands and styles.

I’m a scientist-cook, not a chef. I bought a Control Freak on sale a few years ago, and it radically improved my cooking: it greatly reduced my mental workload; it produces consistent results; and it does like half the work that a chef normally does (i.e. very little need to monitor the food). As a bonus, induction cooking puts most of the heat into the pan and the food, not the kitchen.

This year, I picked up a second unit. Now I’m looking at picking up a Hatco 3600W induction cooktop or maybe a Vollrath 4-series 3800W induction cooktop (both 240V) as a third burner. Neither of those are going to offer the kind of accuracy I’m used to, but frankly I want a larger-diameter coil that can boil water really, really quickly. The Control Freak has a medium-sized coil (one of the largest I’ve seen in a 120V unit) and it works really well, but I’m still missing a “large burner” in my induction kitchen.

BTW, slightly off-topic, I picked up some Falk induction-compatible copper pans this year. Another topic for another day, but let’s just say I’m a little mind-blown by how well the Control Freak and copper pans work together.

Congratulations on your Christmas present. :slight_smile: If you’re looking to share notes, please post in this thread or feel free to DM me.

1 Like

P.S. I believe that the difference between the US version and the EU/UK/ANZ versions is basically the “max” power intensity setting.

With the Control Freak, you set both the power intensity and the target pan temperature. This allows you to ramp up the temperature at low, medium or high speed (or “max” on the 230V units).

Do you happen to have a watt meter? I’m going to be pulling readings of the energy usage at low, medium and high speed (to understand the heat transfer in watts), and I would love to know the figures for the max rating as well.

Low = ~600W?
Medium = ~1200W?
Fast = ~1800W (measured at 1600-1800W)
Max = ~2400W?