Control Freak

Btw I agree with you that it might be overkill for applications like pan frying where it’s hard to translate recipes into a pan temperature.

Most of my use cases in my original post were around oil poaching, precision deep frying and sous vide (beyond just water bath, eg in stock) applications. I was hypothesising that this would be where it would be useful, and I think these types of recipes often do come with temperature references.

2 Likes

Only you can decide if you’ll use all that granular control.

BTW, youre right–the footprint is a little bigger than the bottom PICs. This is not because of electronics. It’s because Breville realized commercial applications would be the lion’s share of sales. Commercial format PICs require larger cases to support larger and heavier pans, and provide reasonable ventilation, i.e., real fans.

Let’s split the difference :wink: I was thinking about the dual fans in the CF as contributing to the bulk.

But you’re right that commercial settings have different requirements (such as bigger pans and likely longer run times) that would drive the need for a bigger unit.

Depending on your views on disposability, if the cost of having solid ventilation is a little bigger/heavier unit, is that a deal-breaker? Is 24 pounds (shipping weight, yes) to heavy to carry from your vehicle to a camp table?

Not at all for me. My use case is not camping. I see my self using this for home cooking primarily - perhaps carrying it to the balcony for frying so that my other half doesn’t complain about oil splatter :joy:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were the poster who wanted to take a PIC camping.

Something else to consider: the tall case semi- and commercial units are intended for lower counters and tables–some users build a downward step or niche so they don’t end up cooking at chest level, like Ray.

1 Like

Huh? I don’t cook with my units at chest level.

I’m 6’7 so I don’t think that will be a problem :joy:

Well, if your counters now are built to standard height, you’re good to go. Kids and small partners, maybe not so much.

Let’s see if I’d even be allowed to use it on the counters. Many of my envisioned use cases involve oil - and my partner HATES oil splatter in the kitchen. I can already see myself hunched over a small side table trying to fry on the balcony :joy:

Well, here’s the all-around winning argument: “Gee [insert fav term of endearment], our splatter worries are over! We can put a sheet of parchment or butcher paper between the CF and the pan–no fire risk, and you never have to clean up spatter again.”

1 Like

Good idea! That will save me from the heat of the balcony.

Now I just need to find a way to protect the floor from any wayward splatter. She often accuses me of getting the floor oily :grimacing:

Tarp + Wesson oil = everyone has fun.

2 Likes

Wait!! This isn’t the infamous Wesson Oil Roll rumored in college to take place in the spring?:joy:

Our municipal fire code prohibits any cooking on balconies. Too bad, because I have an electrical outlet on mine.

Even when there’s no flame involved?

Yes, sadly. Although, how would they know if I was just heating up something on an induction plate? I understand the danger of a grill… but the law is the law.

That is unfortunate :pensive:

I’ll be moving to a new condo soon, so not sure what their rules will be. Worst case there’s always an outdoor fire pit somewhere

I wish we had one. The private student housing warren next door has one. So do several apartment buildings.

My reservations around cooking on balconies has more been around being a conscientious neighbour. Nobody wants to smell frying oil while they’re sunbathing :joy: