Confession Booth- Secret Indulgences

Yes. Although you need the chips for a balanced meal.

By the by, the story of fish & chips goes something like this. The battered fish came from East Europeans Jews immigrating to England. Originally, the batter was there just to protect the fish while it was cooking and wasnt eaten. Meanwhile, the concept of frying potatoes was reasonably well established in the north of England. The first properly documented sale of them both today was by a guy called Lees, in 1863, in the northwestern town of Mossley (about 20 miles from where I live). There is a London claim that they invented “fish & chips” in 1860 but it isnt fully documented. Still our most popular takeaway, by far.

3 Likes

“Confession Booth”

{{ pulls curtain open, walks in closing the curtain behind me. Kneeling in front of the screen I say;}}

Me; Forgive me father for I have sinned, it has been 23 years since my last confession.

Voice from other side of screen; _please proceed and speak now confessing your sins before God

Me; _Dear lord forgive me, but it’s Vodka…it’s Vodka it is my secret indulgence, well it’s nor really a secret everyone knows I love vodka…but there you have it, I LOVE VODKA

Voice from other side of screen; _. I absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit._Before the Lord I give you the following penance for your sins, go now and have 5 Hail!! Bloody Mary’s.

Me; (looking through the screen suspiciously) Yes Father!!! My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to good, I have sinned against You, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.Our Savior, Jesus Christ, suffered and died for us. In His name, my

God, have mercy.

3 Likes

I learn that one of the more common causes is you don’t drink enough. Now I learn a new usage of that! Ha, HO is now officially a pickle juice cult.

2 Likes

I realized I have omitted one of my very favorite things, dairy made chocolate milk. Why is it so wonderful?

Chocolate milk is technically mine too, because a day after too much vodka chocolate milk helps with the hangover!! (Same with apple juice)

1 Like

And I totally forgot - hot dog with mustard, relish and sauerkraut!!!

In my younger (and wetter) days, chocolate milk and a Kit Kat bar were must-haves for the day after. I can’t recall the last time I had chocolate milk though.

Ditto that but we just spurted ketchup all over the wonder bread.

I once worked with a fellow (a heavy drinker, by anyone’s standards) who would buy a carton of chocolate milk and a cup of vending machine Pepsi, down half the Pepsi and fill the cup with the chocolate milk and drink the mixture slowly. He swore by this as a great hangover cure.

1 Like

When I was a kid I had friend who drank milk and Pepsi. Made me want to gag, but she just liked it. Way too young for a hangover!

This is precisely the reason I no longer buy jaffa cakes.

McDonald’s double cheeseburger.
Scotch egg and Heinz salad cream.
Ham cheese and pickled onion wrap. °

° This is when I’m too lazy to make a sandwich. Cut a bit of cheese, take a pickled onion and then wrap in a slice of ham. See also chunk of cheese dipped in hummus.

3 Likes

Our local dairy, Umpqua, puts 2% in the gallon jugs, but the 1/2 gallons and quarts are whole chocolate milk. Almost like drinking a candy bar.

2 Likes

Pogos (corn dogs), Fancy instant ramen from the Asian supermarket, Russel Stover chocolates when they’re on sale, a McDouble and a Junior Chicken Sandwich put together to make a McGangbang, Vachon snack cakes, supermarket fried chicken with Frank’s Red Hot, any kind of meat pie, anything made with flaky pastry or croissant dough, onion rings, Kraft peanut butter straight out of the jar, Turkish candy bars, fried plantain with crema and frijoles, almost any kind of potato chip…

I could go on for days.

2 Likes

Maybe you have some secret health foods instead? :grin:

2 Likes

A man made of good old junk food. Brothers in Arms we are. Kraft peanut butter? Is there a certain terroir involved? Can’t be Jif or Peter Pan?
Creamy or crunchy?

It doesn’t have to be Kraft, but that’s what I grew up with. Since I buy maybe one jar a year, I don’t really have the opportunity to try other brands. I’ve only had Jif and Peter Pan when travelling in the US with my family. We don’t have those brands up here in Quebec. And it’s always creamy.

We have a peanut (and other) butter plant, Maranatha, here in tiny town in Southern Oregon. Overload at times. :slight_smile:

As i recalled while inhaling my mini packet this afternoon from a generous coworker (part of my so called lunch today) these easter cadbury mini eggs are an annual weakness of mine. The odds of me not purchasing more in the next 24hrs are slim to none.
https://m.hersheys.com/celebrate/easter/productdetail.aspx?id=316

2 Likes

I haven’t had one for years. I like it warm with custard. Great in the winter.