Commercial Salad Dressings

Bob’s has a few salad dressings out there, we find them in the empty state.

My salad dressing skills are nonexistent, so I use the ones that come with the Taylor Farms salad kits!

2 Likes

I find it hard to believe that you can’t emulsify your favorite oil with your favorite vinegar & add salt n pepper :wink:

1 Like

I can make them, but I never like the way they taste!

1 Like

Interesting! What don’t you like about the end result? I rarely use olive oil if I am going to emulsify bc the vinaigrette inevitably ends up slightly bitter, but nut oils are really forgiving, and with a tsp of mustard it usually comes together nicely. Sometimes a tsp of water added mellows out the taste as well. But it’s def more work than opening a bottle of something you found you like.

I’ll give the Ken’s Caesar a try sometime.

2 Likes

Taylor Farms chopped salad kits are my BFFs and my husband eats them! :grinning:

4 Likes

Brianna’s Poppy Seed Dressing, because I don’t want to bother making my own.
Ken’s used to make a cucumber dressing that I liked but it seems to have vanished a long time ago.

4 Likes

This? https://www.instacart.com/products/30041469-marzetti-simply-avocado-green-goddess-dressing-12-fl-oz

1 Like

Could this be it rebranded?

Ken’s Steak House Chef’s Reserve French Dressing with Smoked Bacon (9 Ounce (Pack of 3)) https://a.co/d/aVqAoMS

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ken-s-Steakhouse-Chef-s-Reserve-French-Salad-Dressing-with-Smoked-Bacon-9-fl-oz/535307064

INGREDIENTS
Soybean Oil, Sugar, Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Contains Less than 2% of Smoked Bacon (Pork Cured with: Water, Salt, Sugar, Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite), Salt, Paprika, Mustard Flour, Xanthan Gum, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Onion (Dried), Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Garlic (Dried), Smoke Flavoring, Spice, Natural Flavor, Molasses, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to Protect Flavor), Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Tamarind, Celery Seed.

Try more oil, more salt, more sugar, and a little Dijon mustard. Cures most of what ails.

1 Like

A now closed soup house I used to visit had a wonderful cucumber-wasabi dressing. Cool and spicy! I have no idea if it was made in house or not. The roomate has taken a recent liking to Ken’s Blue Cheese and Caesar variations. He also likes the chunky bue cheese that looks like the long ago Marie’s brand. I’m the simple lemon/evoo/garlic and black pepper type.

I have noticed this when I used to make dressing in the Vitamix or FP. Now-a-days I put everything except the oil in a small (3qt) bowl I have for my KA stand mixer with the whisk and run on 2-3 until well combined… then drizzle in COR EVOO and run for another 30-40 seconds. Comes out great.

4 Likes

Yes, that is the one. Nice on sandwiches too.

1 Like

Could I finally have found a palatable dressing? Fer realz?

They were doing samples at TJ’s today (first time since pre-covid IYCBI!), and one of them was red leaf lettuce with their shelf-stable Italian dressing.

I didn’t get that aftertaste of preservatives I usually get, and was pleasantly surprised. I did not buy it, however, since I’m still evaluating whether I want to continue shopping there or not.

3 Likes

I made chip/veg dip tonight using a Hidden Valley Ranch packet per a friend’s request. I’m no great fan of ranch under any circumstances, but this stuff is truly awful - why oh why do people eat it? If I were just going for convenience I’d take the Lipton soup mix dip over this garbage any day.

1 Like

I have used HVR dry mix before and thought it was okay. At one point, I bought it at Costco in one of those 8" clear plastic shaker containers. I used it on popcorn, to season sauces, etc. Then I got out of the habit somehow. It sat in the pantry for a few years before I had occasion to use it again. The powder was full of tiny black bugs whose eggs must have been incubating there since the containers were filled in the factory. Shudder!

Yikes!

Protein!:wink:

1 Like

Now I don’t remember which brand of ranch I used for my recent MS roast. I think it was generic, plus you really don’t taste it in the final product.

1 Like

My SIL’s kitchen was infested and she went through everything she suspected might be a source. Pretty much anything that came from the indian store got chucked or vacuum sealed.

A few days later, I climbed up to get some infrequently used seasonings from the very top shelf. Moving things around in my search, I found the same giant bottle of ranch seasoning — COMPLETELY INFESTED.

HOWEVER. Having dealt with these kinds of infestations several times, it doesn’t mean that it was the source — these bugs can get into anything with a slight gap and infest it. So the original source could have been something entirely different.

Last time I had to deal with it in my own kitchen, the culprit was a bag of dried mint from the turkish market. But the bugs got into everything else too — I originally thought they came from dried fenugreek from the indian store, but that wasn’t it.

3 Likes