Commercial Salad Dressings

What are your favourite salad dressings?

I like Renée’s Greek dressing and Renée’s Blue Cheese dressing, which are refrigerated dressings similar to Marie’s in the States.

I like Annie’s Goddess but it’s hard to find in Ontario.

I like various Japanese dressings. Would like any recs for brands you like.

Farm Boy’s Lemon Garlic dressing is pretty good.

I make my own most nights, just want a change.

Thanks for any ideas!

1 Like

I am a big fan of Ken’s Steakhouse brand dressings, especially the Caesar and Greek - both vinaigrettes rather than creamy. DH likes the French and bleu cheese varieties.

4 Likes

@ Prima, ask and you shall receive.
This is my favourite Japanese dressing. There’s another one that I like too but the name escspes me right now.

2 Likes

Farrington’s is our usual bottled dressing . We always have bottles of their vinaigrette and balsamic dresssing. They use cold presed rapeseed oil in the dressings - and also sell just the oil, which we use a a local alternative to extra virgin olive oil.

2 Likes

I really like Trader Joe’s toasted sesame dressing.

3 Likes

Paul Newman’s Oil and Vinegar is the only commercial dressing we ever use.

2 Likes

https://www.dorothylynch.com/products/home-style

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

The only thing in the fridge is Hidden Valley Ranch. I used to have (ok - sit down) Wishbone which I used for a base for doctoring, but since discovering California Olive Ranch EVOO I use that almost exclusively as a base for everything but ranch.

3 Likes

Kewpie creamy roasted sesame dressing. Also great as a glaze, marinade, or dip.

2 Likes

Can’t remember the source, but the best shopping advice we’ve ever received is, “There is never a reason for entering the salad dressing aisle.”. Every tine we do, with the exception of commercial mayo, we spend money we wind up pouring down the drain.

1 Like

Yeah, kinda get it (except for the ranch). As far as the kewpie above, a half cup toasted sesame seeds, olive oil in the blender or FP, followed by garlic, citrus, soy sauce, and whatever else you want. Pretty much my tahini dressing. Yum!

3 Likes

Bob’s Bleu Cheese is a staple in our house.

7 Likes

Many commercial ranch dressings aren’t too bad. But better you make your own via momofuku recipe.
It calls for pickled ramps but you can substitute a combination of cocktail onions and green onions. SO GOOD!

3 Likes

Well… I quite like HVR, plus I never have buttermilk on hand. I suppose I could make it based on so many instructions online, but I kinda doubt the results.

What are pickled ramps?

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more!

In the UK products like ready made salad dressings are required to list their ingredients in percentage order. Is it the same in the US? Anyway, the great majority show water at the top of that list, occasionally something like canola or sunflower oil, but never, ever olive oil. Plus the price per volume is always more than basic EVOO. Thirdly I think that almost all the vinaigrette/oil & vinegar types are disgusting.

I spend about 5 minutes making about a pint at a time, which stays fresh for use over a week or so. Costs way less than bought, too.

The last one I bought called itself “Mary Berry’s Favourite”. Now Mary is a venerable and respected TV cook, but it was revolting, and I’ll never again believe anything she says. Money talks, I guess.

We usually make a homemade vinaigrette but do like the the Simply Dressed Avocado dressing.
It is really good on RB sandwiches.
My 2 other favorites are Panera’s Green Goddess, which I can’t find in stores and the Southwest Salad dressing that McDonald’s used on one of their salads. I think it was a Newman’s product but can’t find that one either. Miss that salad, was a pretty good lunch for about $5.00.

2 Likes
1 Like

As far as I know it is, but hopefully someone will post if that’s not the case.

I’ll try to pick up a jar of Bob’s Bleu Cheese next time I cross the border, whenever that is! Thanks!

1 Like

We mostly have plain Kewpie up here in the Great White North, but I’ll check my local Korean and Japanese grocers, in case they have a supply of Kewpie products that the regular grocery stores don’t carry .

1 Like