Comfi, Old Bridge

(Evelyn C. Leeper) #1

We thought this would be just a breakfast place since it’s open only until 3PM, but it is much more than that. The lunches (at least the Polish ones) are quite substantial–each is more than enough for two people. The pierogi were huge, fist-sized rather than the usual ravioli-sized. And the grilled kielbasi was piled with sauerkraut onto rye bread, with another mountain of home fries next to it. They also have a lot of healthier items that we need to work our way through.

The one problem is the noise level, made worse by the horrible scraping sound the chairs make on the floor when they are dragged. I mentioned it to the owner, so maybe he will do something about it.)

(John) #2

Gonna have to try this one. I love Polish food.

(Junior) #3

Wow…I wish I were eating carbs I would love to try those pierogi. I remember as a child in the 70’s there use to be a Polish American lodge or club in Union my parents would take me to for dinner. Best pierogies ever!

Three years later…
It’s taken me this long to get to Comfi. So when my daughter and her husband were making their way down the Turnpike from NYC to Baltimore and they said “meet us somewhere for brunch” I immediately decided today was the day. I was not disappointed.

There was a wait, but it wasn’t too long. First off, the coffee was decent…always a good sign. And the hot cocoa came with a mountain of whipped cream. The portions are huge and everything was delicious. My husband went for the pierogi and they appeared fat and stuffed…and very tender with well sauteed onions. I had the “Piggy piggy” --fat potato pancakes smothered in kielbasa (lots and lots of kielbasa), four (FOUR!!!) poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. I barely made a dent…breakfast for the next few days. Daughter had the pierogi omelet…yes pierogi’s stuffed inside and omelet. And my son in law had the burger between pancakes with eggs and hollandiase (that’s an under-description) that was the size of a meatloaf. Truly every dish could easily serve 2-3 people. And yet the food is inexpensive and delicious. Definitely going back.

(Greg Caggiano) #5

Oh my God. That is incredible.

Wowzers. I think your daughter may have out did you guys lol. That looks like a monster! I’ve never thought to even try that. Well I have something new on my list of whacky stuff to cook :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting to make one with some deep fried jalapeño poppers and chorizo soon. Maybe I would add in some chopped habanero for some heat.

(Eli Paryzer) #7

Wow. That looks incredible. I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at the pictures😛

Ok! A jalapeño popper stuffed omelet sounds awesome! You might consider the deep fried chorizo on top instead of inside. Yum.

Just said OMG out loud! :joy:

Never heard of Comfi until I read this thread yesterday…tonight on my way to JSBBQ with friends, I see that there’s also one in Belmar. I looked it up, and it is in fact the same owners. Anyone been to that location? It appears it’s been open just about a year.

OK I need some BBQ pics! Hook a brother up @CurlzNJ

Didn’t take any, but I had my usual duo–this time with St. Louis ribs + pulled pork, along with collards and beans. I seriously doubt it’s the lack of sugar I’ve had in my diet in the last year, but I think they may have changed the bean recipe–they were super sweet. I always loved them because they were full of bacon and NOT crazy sweet. It’s also possible that it was the end of Day 2 of MDW and I got them from the bottom of the pot, but I’ll be curious to try them again next time. As usual, I have enough leftovers for another meal, so YAY for that! :slight_smile:

(Art) #13

Just went to the one in Old Bridge for the first time today.

Higher prices than a typical breakfast place, but for what you get, prices are actually quite reasonable. Portions are HUGE, menu is quite creative, and food is exceptionally tasty. Wife had Polish sampler, said pierogies, kielbasa and potato pancakes were all the best she’s ever eaten. I had the Comfi benedict - 3 poached eggs with chipotle hollandaise over a toasted croissant, with a hand-breaded chicken cutlet, sauteed mushrooms, onions, potatoes, baby spinach, and side of fresh asparagus. Absolutely delicious, but barely made a dent in it. Having the leftovers for dinner. Kids had pancakes. Pancakes were bigger than their heads.

Bill for 4 before tip was $63. For us, it was an indulgence. Definitely going back, just probably not anytime soon. Oh, and the wait was 35 minutes… but totally worth it.