Coconut cream vs coconut milk for pie

I’m going to be making a vegan pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. The recipe calls for “full fat coconut milk”. At Whole Foods yesterday, I bought a can of coconut milk which I figured is the correct item, but I also bought a can of coconut cream (not the cream of coconut that’s used in tropical drinks) just in case. I’m assuming that the coconut cream is thicker. Any thoughts on which one I should use? Here’s the recipe:

Thanks!

Milk. Cream ver we use in place of dairy whipped cream.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll whip up the cream to serve with the pie. Any tips?

chill the can for a few hours in order for the cream to whip properly. Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to umpf the flavor. Start beating cream on slow Setting and build to high to gauge the whip.

1 Like

The milk just has a higher proportion of water to fat (coconut cream) - you’ll see it when you open the cans (the coconut “cream” in both rises to the top (especially in cold weather), the watery part to the bottom - has to be reincorporated.

You could’ve used either, the cream can would’ve given you a richer pie as is, or the same result as milk with slight adjustment of liquid.

3 Likes

Full fat coconut milk.

I made this recipe last week for work, snd its delicious…one fo the best pumpkin pies Ive made, including before I became intolerant to dairy. (No, you dont taste the coconut)

1 Like

Chilling the whipping bowl is helpful too.

1 Like

And beaters. :smiley_cat:

Love coconut and always thought it had an assertive flavor. I’ve made up a lot of desserts with it, pairing it with other elements, and been surprised how it’s been in the background many times. Even using coconut jam from the Asian market. I’ve come to find the elements which make it more pronounced for coconut lovers, such as myself, even using a bit of coconut extract if need be.

1 Like

Couldn’t hurt!

I just put this together minus a crust. I like custard more than custard pies. Fruit pies diff story. In this case coconut milk is used right out of the can and this is overall much less sweet than standard pumpkin pie filling.

15 oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
3 large eggs
1 tbsp pumpkin blend spice, my version has ground mace
1/2 cup dark maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Blend still smooth. Pour into 4 cup pyrex round dish. Bake 1.5 hours for deep caramelized custard.

Sounds good! I don’t think you could go amiss with a brûlée topping, either…

1 Like

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground mace

The spice blend I mix for all recipes calling for pumpkin pie spice. Stores quite long.

If you like or miss the sugar!

Think it’s the crackly texture with the smooth custard I love.

1 Like

Bookmarking, but for me it’s about peas and rice/ rice and peas.

Mmmm, sounds good to me…

350°F? Diameter of dish (since depth affects baking time)? Thanks!

1.5 quart Corning ware, Yes, 350 degree oven. Took 1.5 hours total in oven. I checked doneness after one hour.

2 Likes