Cob Corn Hacks 2022

Local sweet corn is getting prime right now where I am. I’ve made the usual boiled/buttered, niblets for a salad Nicoise, corn chowder, etc., but I’m wondering if anyone has something new or different for corn on the cob.

Because it’s also state fair season, has anyone tried something crazy, like battering and deep-frying parboiled ears?

How do you like your corn?

I cook fresh corn cut off the cob two ways in the summer. No measurements for the first one, just by proportions (depending on how many servings I want). Sauté fresh corn cut from the cob in a good amount of butter with lesser amounts of finely sliced celery and diced sweet red bell pepper with a small amount of fresh chopped garlic. Salt and pepper to taste, thicken with a bit of heavy cream and if you have some, a light splash of bourbon.

The second is a recipe I saved from an August 2007 Gourmet magazine column called “Ten-Minute Mains”. I’ve been making it every summer since:

SUMMER GARDEN TORELLONI
1 (8-oz) bag dried cheese tortelloni (Barilla where I live)
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips (I usually just use a whole 4 oz. pkg)
2 cups corn (4 ears)
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 medium tomatoes (we grow cherry tomatoes, I use those and cut them in half)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Cook tortelloni in salted water according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook garlic, prosciutto, corn, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until corn is just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes.
Combine corn mixture and tomatoes in a large bowl.
Reserve 1/4 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain tortelloni and add to vegetables along with the reserved cooking water and the basil. Toss well and season with salt & pepper.

Makes 4 servings

2 Likes

I made a bunch of corn in the cob for family on Jujy 4th - half just plain and half elote style (with sour cream/mayo, grated Cotija cheese, and Tajin for some spice. The elote was gone in 2 minutes flat. Everyone loved it. It’s even better on the grill.

I picked up a microwave hack from ATK or someone a couple of years ago and have never looked back - no more boiling. Toss ears in husks in microwave, nuke for around 2 mins per ear, rearranging once or twice for even cooking (I do 4+4 mins for four ears, usually). Allow to sit for a minute or two, then pull back husks. Silk will slip off effortlessly, and corn is lightly steamed but not waterlogged.

2 Likes

This may not be exactly what this thread is about, but for the last couple of years I have refused to just throw away the cobs after eating the corn.
Break the cobs into pieces, cover with water, add salt and pepper (not necessary), and pressure cook for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Yields the most wonderful corn-flavoured broth, that elevates anything where liquid is needed, be it rice or soup or dal or whatever.
If you don’t use salt and pepper, you can use the broth for sweet dishes too.
And yes, can make on stovetop if no pressure cooker.
Double benefit of COTC.

3 Likes

@Rasam beat me to the punch on corn stock.

For a non-pressure cooker method, 10-12 ears of corn cobs, stripped on their kernels, half (or whole, depending on size) sweet onion, and water to cover by about an inch. Bring to a boil, then simmer for up to 2 hours.

Strain and freeze to use in corn chowder, vegetable-based soups, cook orzo in it, or use in a risotto.

3 Likes

For leftover, cooked corn on the cob: cut off the kernels and fry with chopped onion for a great breakfast hash.

1 Like