Cloudy glass mystery and the dishwasher

Cloudy glass posts separated from a glass explosion thread.

Good to know. I don’t know the reason, but normal glasses washed in my dishwasher would develop micro scratches on the surface quickly. So far, I don’t notice any scratches on the duralex glasses.

1 Like

Some of them have gotten cloudy, but the culprit ended up being the dishwasher detergent not being what it was advertised to be. They’re still cloudy, but I haven’t tried to clear them. Anybody got any ideas?

If your cloudy issue on the glasses is not due to hard water, and cannot be removed with vinegar, these are permanent damages like mine. I don’t know if it’s true that rinsing clean the glasses before placing in the machine and hot temperature washing cycles are the culprits like stated in the article.

https://www.hunker.com/13423926/how-to-remove-etching-from-glass

2 Likes

A rinsing agent may help @ewsflash; if that doesn’t work, you might try running oxalic acid through your dishwasher, with the affected glass or dishware.

1 Like

I’ve never found a solution to the cloudy glass problem. I only ever put cheap glasses in the dishwasher. When they get cloudy they either stay in use cloudy or get chucked in the rubbish bin.

2 Likes

I agree. Cloudy glass seems to be from micro mechanical abrasion, not chemical deposits.

I read a bit more on this subject on a forum. Somebody worked in the dishwash powder industry said “the product is very aggressive used high concentrations of sodium and potassium hydroxide and would not only strip the glass clean but actually dissolve off a layer of glass as well.”

I did ask the cloudy glass question when the repairman was around fixing things in my home, he didn’t really answer my question directly but said people usually put too much product in the machine, one should cut the dose in half.

2 Likes

The cloudiness from dishwasher use, if you haven’t already been able to remove it by common easy methods, is definitely the outer layer of the glass having been removed. I’ve seen it get worse and worse on an old glass I didn’t want to throw away. There’s no practical way to fix it - I’m sure there are buffing machines that can re-surface glass, but it would be very tricky and very expensive to get it done well, and still wouldn’t be as good as new.

I’ve seen different things blamed for this - mechanical abrasion and chemical erosion. One memorable explanation said “those chemicals are going to dissolve something - if you rinse your dishes before putting them in, then the chemicals go to work on the glass instead”. I don’t know what to believe.

I don’t see cloudy glasses in restaurants, I wonder why. @NotJrvedivici Do your restaurants throw away glasses or use thicker glasses?

We use standard commercial glassware which is thicker than most residential grade glassware. You can get extremely cheap glassware at places like IKEA but will shatter easily in commercial use.

If it were to turn cloudy it would be removed from service.

1 Like

Thanks!! Good to know.

1 Like

I wonder why the dinnerware are not becoming cloudy or cover with micro abrasion.

1 Like

I guess the glaze for ceramic wares is not the same as glass. I’m sure there’s a rational explanation, but I don’t know what it is.

I didn’t know this . The kenmore dishwasher came with the house. Never used one before. But after awhile I used it . After 4 years using occasionally. The glass comes out crystal clear . I use the platinum pods and that rinse stuff . I still do dishes by hand . But the 2 hour cycle removes everything spotless. No matter how I stack it . And hardly rinsing the dishes . Amazing.

1 Like

If there’s no problem, then there’s no problem. :slight_smile:

Dishwashers are hard on some kinds of dishes - at least for some people, in some situations. Dishwashers always ruin sharp knives, even if you don’t think so, and sometimes they eat away at glass as well. Definitely keep your good knives out of the dishwasher no matter what, and if you see a problem happening with glass, keep it out too - but there’s no need for fear.

Washing the good knives by hand is not a big deal. Washing the glasses is a bit more trouble, but if it saves them then it’s worth it.

1 Like

I never put my good knives in the dishwasher. Everything else though . Well , except for my non stick pans .

Yeah, that too. Dishwashers are great, but they’re not perfect.

Commercial dishwashers also don’t work the same way as home models. I don’t know all the technicalities.

We use tablets that include detergent, a water softener (I think), and a rinse aid. We’ll have to shift to a liquid to reduce quantity. I’ll discuss with my wife.