Cleavers: types and uses

I’ve been a paid legal translator. I’d suggest you change “translation” to transmission.

2 Likes

Check out Feather razor blades. They’re made in Japan.

Oh, stop making sense!

1 Like

Those are my razor blades (safety razor blades)

As I have learned, when you re-ask an unanswered question, THAT gets taken as personal.

It’s a safe assumption that a flag has already been thrown.

2 Likes

That would be weird. Someone made an accusation about me, and I asked (and reasked) the basis for that accusation, and then now it is to be flagged? If that is the rule, then this will encourage people throw all kind of accusations and speculations.

1 Like

I just take a closer look at the photos. Very beautiful knives. Slightly interesting profile. Takeda is also know for too. The two nakiri have slightly curved profiles – I don’t think it is a camera angle distortion.

Edited: I take it back. Looking at other Takeda nakiri, they are no curved, so this is probably camera angle distortion.

No shortage of weird. Just preparing you.

1 Like

Chem, I am friends with Shosui Takeda on Facebook. He has been posting a lot of pictures of boxes and boxes being shipped out to his dealer network. I would imagine that they should be hitting their inventory pretty shortly. I have signed up for a couple of knives at various dealers so that I am emailed when the knives come back in stock. I too have been looking for a Large Takeda cleaver as well. Now if I could only find a Shibata Tank as well…

Thanks to you and @Pertti .
So it sounds like he will be shipping out some knives. A few years ago, I was already eyeing at Takeda-san works. At the time, Moritaka was more or less considered to be the less expensive version of Takeda. They both use Aogami Super steel for many of their knives. I just reach out to Watanabe to see how he feels about making a more custom version of Chinese slicer.

Aloha Chem…I hope to see some more Takedas become available myself, I own several of them, and he is my favorite kitchen knife maker. The Chuka Bocho that Takeda makes is just awesome looking…but between the lack of availability and the price tag of the Takeda, I went with the Sugimoto carbon steel #6 cleaver as an upgrade to my trusty old CCK 1303. I like it, and it’s well made, but have not put it through it’s paces yet to give a detailed report. I have a Watanabe nakiri…and as the old saying goes, it cuts things “like buttah”. I’ve some other Watanabe knives, and they are just wonderful as well…He’s also a wonderful guy to deal with. He takes a couple of days to return his emails, but he does return them, and he has consistently delivered finished knives months before his initial prediction. He does have some Chuka Bocho’s listed on his web site. I wish I would have known before I bought the Sugimoto. His knives just glide through food, and food just doesnt stick to them. Here are the cleavers on this site… https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/cleaver.htm. I think the handles are kind of fugly, but i would overlook them for the quality of the knives themselves. Another cleaver-ish knife I have my eyes on but is impossible to find is the Shibata Tinker Tank. I emailed the Shibata folks, and they took an order for one with a delivery time of 1 year out. Oh well…I guess I do have another knife I can use until then…

Thanks. Right, I saw the Watanabe Chinese style knives. Not a big fan of the three plastic knife handle. The wood one is fine with me.

This is the reason I am trying to ask Mr. Watanabe. Not sure if you have seen it. Years ago, Watanabe makes Damascus pattern Chinese knives.

I did not know about the Shibata Tinker Tank until you mentioned it. Then I looked it up. What a interesting knife.

Here a few photos and information to share. Hope it help you to decide to get a KF1902 or not.
Carbon steel KF1303 and Stainless steel KF1902. These are actually very similar in physical size despite the number-size is off by one.

One difference is that the KF1902 greatly tapper from the heel to the tip. KF1303 tapper a little, but not as much.

Finally, KF1303 weights 273 gram and KF1902 weights 287 gram.

1 Like

By the way, Shinichi from Watanabe can make you offers for different handles. Not sure with cleavers too but I could choose my own handle when I ordered the gyuto. Chose the burnt chestnut :slight_smile:

Right. Right. When I bought the Watanabe Nakiri. The standard handle is burnt chesnut with a D-handle (for right handed). Despite I am right-handed, I was hoping a more ambidextrous handle. Anyway, long story short, we did discuss the handle option. However, like you said, he probably has tons of different Japanese Wa handle (from his website)

Not sure if he has many handles for Chinese knives as he uses different handles for these knives.

1 Like

His knives are really good and beautiful to look at if you upgrade the handles.

It’s a shame we here in Europe are getting punished by import duties (+20%!) when ordering from Watanabe - whereas you guys in the US do not.

1 Like

I think the US also has import tax too, but it only kicks in at about $800-1000 dollar. It changes every year. But I think if I buy a $800 knife from Watanabe-san, there may very well be a tax.

1 Like

Excellent blades, but I prefer the Lab Blues. Want a razor blade discussion somewhere else?

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. I’ve made that mistake several times.

I can’t agree more. Asking Google doesn’t count as primary research.

I have a hard time with people claiming they’ve “done a lot of research” colloquially and equating it to, or conflating it with primary research by using similar terminology.

In the above scenario it’s more appropriate to say something like they’ve “looked it up,” or if they spent say >30 minutes on Google they’ve “dug into it.” Probably better to omit the word research altogether, even if one is an actual researcher in some other professional but unrelated arena.

Real research requires evaluation of primary source material, and just as importantly, by those who have sufficient background and training to accurately evaluate such source material.

3 Likes