Clear liquid diets

My diet has consisted of heavy consumption of vodka for the better part of 30+ years, not so sure it’s helped me lose any weight. I’m not a quitter though!!!

2 Likes

Mine was called Plenvu divided into 2 doses. One in the evening prior and one the next day several hours prior to the procedure. Didn’t taste bad and worked as it should

When I’ve been prescribed Golitely, there’s a choice of lemon or berry flavor packet . Both bad. The nurse said to use Crystal Light powder instead. Dye considerations mean a choice of lemon or ice tea flavor.

Do you mean the difference between a regular meat broth vs bone broth? I am thinking the difference will be mainly collagen, and really bone marrow.

1 Like

From everything I’ve read, bone broth is a glitzy marketing term for well made stock.

Scientifically, I’ve not read that the collagen content is significantly beneficial.

5 Likes

Agree, it’s marketing targeted at trends and food fads. Our homemade stock is always, and has always been bone broth. I think it’s another silly thing @Sunshine842.

3 Likes

It’s what I had prior to my most recent colonoscopy. The boxed broth was pretty nasty. My homemade chicken broth got me to the finish line

1 Like

Reprieved for five years this time, but happy to help in the interim.

1 Like

I just scarf cans of Swanson’s chicken broth and several batches of lime Jello. After a couple of hours, hunger for real food disappears as boredom sets in.

3 Likes

I subsisted on tetrapak-ed vegan “chicken” broth, and I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I thought it was really good and would eat it again of my own free will. I was also starving, which may have been a contributing factor.

4 Likes

Helpful links. Off to look for lemon popsicles and Jell-o.

1 Like

We learn so many practical tidbits and lessons after the first go 'round. Doctor’s offices are not always forthcoming with the practical information. An experienced good friend can help. Someone has to accompany you to and from the appointment, anyway. This is a surgical procedure and you need to be kind to your bod.

#1 The more food you ingest before starting the preparation, the more comes out, rapidly. Save yourself the pain and shift down your activities for a week, if you can, before the procedure. I’ve had three of these since my 20’s and I learn something new to put into action for the next time. Plan ahead and reduce your activities outside of the home; you don’t want to wear yourself out.

Sip clear liquids constantly; you’ll want a really clean pipe. I like warm or cold consommés with a splash of lemon juice, clear teas, and lemon-lime soda pop and banana popsicles. Read labels on sorbets, some actually contain dairy. Home made clear granitas (no dairy, remember) work, too.

(This is not food related…have on hand A+D cream or coconut oil and very soft tp for comfort)

3 Likes

Appreciate your comments @mts . I was wondering, if you or anyone can give their 2 cents. The chicken broth should be clear and not cloudy, so my homemade broth that is strained but a little cloudy probably isn’t going to be as good as the clear bone broth that can be purchased?

Also- I guess I should avoid the cloudy white cherry Gatorade- if I go the Gatorade route- and go for the translucent yellow Gatorade?

I don’t understand why green jell-o and drinks are okay if people are supposed to avoid blue dye? The green hue has elements of yellow and blue hue.

I’m reading mixed information re: coffee, tea and iced tea. Most tisanes also have brown hue, in my experience.

Are white teas the way to go?

1 Like

I wonder if a Japanese-type broth would work, with kombu and bonito (that gets strained out).

1 Like

My doc allowed green, yellow and blue - only red, orange and purple were forbidden. Red dye must be the problem.

3 Likes

My doctor told me its because the red dye looks like inflammation and sparks all kinds of additional testing

1 Like

Clear is the key and I try to avoid the artificially flavored and colored things, too. I would strain miso soup just in case some tofu particles were in there. Ginger ale is okay. Red dye in popsicles, kool-aid and gelatins is a no-no for pre and post tonsil and adenoid procedures and throat scopes. I hadn’t been advised against orange colored or flavored clear liquids for the colon tests. After my gall bladder donation, I found out that green, purple and blue jellos will scare the beejeezies outta you! It’s a hassle for a few days, but liveable. I’ve not had white tea and green tea was just fine.

1 Like

I bought some bone broth in a tetrapak, and added a little to my rice. I thought maybe I’d prep a bone broth aspic. I poured it into measuring cup, and it was an opaque bone broth! I’m glad I found out before I switch to clear things . I’ll go buy some clear bone broth in the glass jars that I’ve seen for sale, or some cans of Campbell’s chicken broth tomorrow. I do have some instant miso I can strain, as well as Better than Bouillon on hand.

Yep, I have made the lemon Jell-o.

I like the Lipton Lemon Ginger tisane I bought.

2 Likes

The instant white miso, even when strained, was way too cloudy, and most of the seaweed went through the strainer. Could use cheesecloth but I think it would still be cloudy. (This bowl is for someone else, now)

1 Like

I would use cheese cloth when in doubt.

1 Like