Cleaning Shrimp…

I’ve a lot of experience with shelling and deveining shrimp… but some of my fav shrimp recipes involve slicing the shrimp in half lengthwise. When I do this I am seeing another vein like thing along the inside curve of the shrimp. It looks like a thick black hair, and it is easily removed by just pressing the tip of my knife down over a section of it on the cutting board, and dragging the shrimp away. It really does feel like a second, much finer vein.

What the heck is this? And if it is some other kind of vein, I’m bummed I have been eating this in whole shrimp I cook.

If nobody knows what I am talking about I can post a pict later today… just lemmeno.

1 Like

Nerve.
I usually remove both, but they are quite different. The larger one on the back is digestive intestine. The smaller one on the bottom is a nerve cord.

Most restaurants do not remove the nerve cord. So even when you and I remove the nerve cords, when you eat out, vast majority of your shrimp dish will have this. Some don’t even remove the digestive tract. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks! So what is your method for removing the nerve on whole shrimp? Just another incision on the underbelly and perhaps tweezers?

I use my favorite knife, inexpensive Victoronix, serrated with pointed, not rounded, tip. I just use the tip to score an opening, then easily remove with the tip. I only buy wild caught shrimp from Whole Foods. Sometimes you can get them to clean the shrimp for you. (I only buy when they are on sale, prime membership.)

1 Like

To be honest, I just use a paring knife. However, I know there are special tools, but I have never used them myself.

When I want to keep the shrimp whole, then I just slice on top and bottom and remove the two veins. For a few shrimps, I use the knife itself to remove the veins too. For a large number of shrimps, then I put them in still water or running water to rinse the vein out of the shrimp.

If I do not need to keep the shrimp whole, then I do what you do. I slice the shrimp in half. Now, both veins are exposed and easier to remove them at the same time.

2 Likes

I clean shrimp by making a little slit with a paring knife all along both the “back” and the “stomach” of each shrimp. Then I hold the shrimp under running water and just gently rub the offending veins out. I’m always cleaning several pounds at a time so I do all the slicing first, then all the deveining second—it’s more efficient.

5 Likes

Please expound.

This one: Toadfish. It only removes the top digestive vein. Look cool. However, not sure how effective it is.

1 Like

Interesting. Does it work with shrimps in different sizes?

I use @travelmad478 method. If you don’t like the shrimp smell on your hands, a squirt of yellow mustard rubbed all around and washed off is pretty effective.

2 Likes

I just wear disposable gloves.

1 Like

The way I usually get a stink off my hands is to “wash” them under running water with a spoon. No idea why stainless steel gets you stink-free, but it works with garlic.

2 Likes

I have heard that. They sell ovoid stainless pieces for that very purpose. I wonder if mustard or SS wins.

1 Like

Only one way to settle this. Right hand mustard, left hand spoon.

4 Likes

I was having lunch over at my girlfriend’s, about 10 years ago, and watched her lather up her hands and she began stroking her faucet.
When I asked her what she was doing her reply was she was getting the garlic aroma off of her hands.
SS really does work.
I’ll have to try @Vecchiouomo idea of mustard and have used lemon that worked in a pinch.

1 Like

Hope you’re not in California, where we have a decades old drought.

1 Like

Why does your shrimp smell? Fresh shrimp (even the flash frozen stuff I buy) has no smell.

1 Like

It doesn’t. But if someone else’s does, they can use the stainless steel method, which I find is very useful for garlic.

1 Like

I always thought the stainless steel thing is a myth. I bought and still own a stainless steel soap.

1 Like

And you have found it to work? I just went with “spoon,” because I already have a lot of those.