Cleaning baked on grease off of my pot

What is the best way to get the grease stain off this pot?
I would prefer not to use oven cleaner.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Soak long in hot water than use dish soap and scrubber pad. If that doesn’t work… Barkeepers Friend.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll give that a go.

1 Like

Same for this Pyrex?

Somehow I’ve been able to maintain this one better. Maybe I notice it faster.

2 Likes

You can use acid on glass, with baking soda.

2 Likes

No judgment, but what’s the concern with oven cleaner?

Also, have you considered the old trick of household ammonia in a black plastic bag left out in the sun?

1 Like

Thanks for asking Kaleo,
Because of the bottom of the pot the Paderno Swirl.
I’m not quite sure what material it is made of and do not want to risk damaging it.
P.S.
I have not thought of the the HA and black bag in the sun trick.

1 Like

Look like oil/grease stain. basic solution will work the best. From the most gentle is baking soda to a stronger and aggressive agent is ammonia. If you pot stainless steel, then it can handle many more methods. Making baking soda into a thick paste is probably the safest method, but it may still take awhile.

2 Likes

Hi Chem,
Yes it is oil, I tried Baking soda and it barely put a dent in it.
I’m just concerned about damaging the disk bottom.
I guess that I’ll have to contact Paderno and find out.

1 Like

This is not going to be easy. Both Le Creuset and Hestan make a special paste that might work.

Problem is to get leverage. No matter what I’ve tried, this kind of grease stain stubbornly resists my best efforts.

Ray

1 Like

Hi Ray,

I had very little success with the baking soda paste. I might try my steamer and see what happens.

The yellowish polymer you’re dealing with is a very tough customer. It laughs off “gentle” cleaners. You can abrade it off–eventually–but a strong basic solution is the way to get there with a reasonable time/effort investment.

You might consider judicious spot applications of a product called Carbon Off. I like Easy Off gel better (and it’s cheaper, but if you eschew “oven cleaner”, it’s an option.

1 Like

“Carbon off” anything like “Goo Gone”?

For Goo Gone it works but I just use smooth peanut butter to remove glue from glass bottles.
It works just as well and then I don’t need to buy another product.

This is Carbon off:

2 Likes

Thank you! We seem to have a lot of goo gone.

Would goo gone work on the sticky black stuff on cooking vessels? Maybe "Goo Gone Oven and Grill? Is it the same stuff as the “yellowish polymer” that @kaleokahu was describing?

I’m having a hard time figuring out the active ingredients.

That is definitely a question for Kaleo or Scott to answer.

No, dissimilar.

Anyone who’s squeamish about Carbon Off should not eat in restaurants.

3 Likes

If you need something a little stronger try Spray Nine. We use it on the farm and at the machine shops. Available at Home Depot and Walmart. Better than oven cleaner and no harsh fumes.

1 Like

I had success cleaning burnt on oven shelves soaked overnight with lots of fabric softener sheets.
Seems gentle maybe it would work on your pot?

1 Like

I have found the Japanese sand clean scrubbers can clean practically any burnt or baked on substance off any pot. One can last through weeks of use. The standard steel wool pads are useless in comparison. I don’t know why they aren’t more widely used. They’re fricken amazing for cleaning pans. I buy them at Korin. It’s local for me but they do mail order. The page I’ve linked to has a video link which has a short bit of a frying pan with exterior crud being cleaned. It really works like the video.

https://www.korin.com/Korin-Sandclean-Scrubber-Fine_2?quantity=1&custcol_korin_addon_items=%257B%2522saya%2522%253A%2522%2522%252C%2522freegift%2522%253A%2522%2522%252C%2522premiumgift%2522%253A%2522%2522%252C%2522engraving%2522%253A%2522%2522%257D&custcol_sca_line_id=mainItem%253Af1awmb747

2 Likes