Clay Cookware

Mine only needed to be soaked once overnight before I used it the first time.

1 Like

Indeed, you have the same lead risk if you buy these stamped, branded pieces in a shop. Much more a beloved collection than set of cookware, I never use them for acidic foods.

But your point is well taken. To shop in flea markets or second hand stores or estate sales, you should be aware of such dangers plus be able to recognize stuff of value. Reidel glasses at 4/$1, Rosenthal, Luneville, Pillivuyt and friends’ china, All-Clad for pennies on the dollar…

I have earned the sobriquet “Second Hand Rose”.

Sorry — I was actually asking for the perspective of someone who would like to buy in these formats, to educate myself.

I wasn’t trying to be snarky. I apologize. To rephrase, to shop these venues, you need to be aware that someone has discarded an item for a reason, Too big/small, change of lifestyle, it was a despised gift OR it has a problem. So you shop with hope but also a degree of skepticism. You need to know about the product you are contemplating buying, its original cost, its reputation, to recognize high-end or special antique examples.

We have been frequenting estate sales and flea markets for decades. If you have access in your community, give one a try as a treasure hunt and museum rolled into one. Do not buy unless you thoroughly inspect an item. Have fun.

It appears that lead testing kits are inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lead+testing+kit+for+dishes&adgrpid=55525653745&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28ndgNHw9gIVJA_nCh2XFgLhEAAYASAAEgIUS_D_BwE&hvadid=274713903092&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9061109&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5102948095369338008&hvtargid=kwd-299506353083&hydadcr=13963_9748986&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_9nn1z1xova_b

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Romertopf Clay Baker and other Clay cookware

Yes, and maybe the sense of tradition that goes with.

Thought I will share the Yunnan steam pot (inspired by the conversation with @alarash and others)
My setup

Making a pork bone soup. Traditionally, chicken soup is much more popular with this cookware
Starting with a pot with pork and pork bones (no water)

30 mins-90 min.

5-6 hours

8-9 hours. The broth is clear, and yet the taste and smell is intense.

I put a black box as a background to highlight the jet of steam

7 Likes

I do the same thing with a couple of chicken thighs and legs, but I put them in raw. Is your pork already cooked, or maybe blanched to get some of the impurities out? Looks delicious. I think I have the exact same pot.

1 Like

Yes, they are blanched to get some of the blood and so called impurities out. I will do chicken next time. How long is your cooking time in this pot?

1 Like

Very cool! Did you taste the broth, or is this to be used for cooking in another dish? I do this with chicken but in an electric double boiler set up that I have. I’m surprised you got that much liquid out of so much bone in those cuts of pork. Is this the standard for how to use this clay pot - you put this above another pot of boiling liquid?

Hi Kokuta. Yes, I have tasted the broth. It was good. I still have some in the refrigerator, so I better finish it. Most of the liquid is really from the water condensation. I posted in a different thread. The steam comes through the small hole in the middle and condense as water back down to the pot.

Yes, one put this Hunnan steam pot on top of another pot. It acts as a hybrid between a double boiler and also a steamer. It allows the foods to be heated at ~ boiling water temperature (100oC). It initially acts more like a steamer because the foods are initially cooked without water, only steam. As times go on, more and more water condenses inside the pot, so then it switches more like a double boiler.

Another unique function (which I have not taken advantage) is to add the seasoning/spice on the bottom pot. It allows a certain flavor of spice to come through with the steam, but not directly cooked with the foods. It supposes to have a more selective profile.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not going to pretend I can speak highly scientifically about the double boil method, but the value in that route (often touted by the old Asian ladies!) is that it’s pure essence, has all the nutrients of the chicken/protein, it’s unadulterated, blah blah blah. On the surface, it’s sealed or more sealed so it would seem to make sense. I wonder taste wise if the resulting broth is truly more intense than using your steam pot.

Ah, you are referring to the double boiler chicken essence where one does not add water – it produces a dark liquid. Obviously, the chicken essence is more intense because no water is added.

I speculate that another reason for this Yunnan steam pot was invented is to cook with distilled water.

By the way, you can stack multiple of these just like stacking bamboo steamers.

2 Likes

Yes, the chicken ‘essence’ broth that supposedly magically imbues you with health and vigor - so my mom used to say.

Not gonna lie - that clay pot stacking is pretty cool.

1 Like

Hi chem, looks amazing!! :slight_smile: Which thread?

This thread by shrinkrap. Below is the post which I took a turn onto this type of steam pot.

2 Likes

It’s just steam. But the condensation accumulates.

It’s been a couple of years since I did it but I thought maybe 2 hours, not more. I remember scallions, ginger, salt, chicken, that was about it. The soup was remarkably delicious and simple. Part of me thinks boiling the same ingredients in a Dutch oven might get similar results, but I loved the steaming process of this beautiful Yunnan clay pot.

1 Like

I just did another run with chicken breast this weekend. This is after 4-5 hours. I think this time I did a better job of “sealing/minimizing” steam loss, and the liquid seems to accumulate a little faster this time. This photo here is after it is done and I took the pot out of the steamer. The broth is very clear.

I am going to try my standard double boiling method next time.

3 Likes